Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
???? for all of you painterly people.....

Posted by jaybird (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 12, 10 at 10:08

It REALLY is a decorating question :^)
I decided that since I could get fake pumpkins for the same price as real (I had coupons for fake and real ones are extremely expensive this year ;^(
They are pretty uniformly orange....
Is there any way I can use paint or stain or ?? to mottle them a little so that they will look more realistic??
Many thanks for your time,
J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ???? for all of you painterly people.....

You bet! Just spray a light coat of Krylon matte 1311 sealer on first, then just use some acrylic paints to add a little more color. You can dampen your brush, dip the side of your brush in the paint, work it back and forth on a paper plate or wax paper then paint some soft lines or streaks following the shape of the pumpkin. Or you could use a soft damp sponge, dip in two or three shades of paint, pounce a few times on your paper plate or waxed paper then on a paper towel to remove a bit of the paint, then lightly pounce some color here and there on the pumpkin to add more color. You can work it with the sponge or a brush until it looks the way you want it. The coat of 1311 will protect the pumpkin so if you don't like some of the paint, you can just wipe it right off with a wet paper towel while the paint is still wet. After it dries, you can still make changes by adding more paint or removing some in places if needed. When you are happy with it, give it a couple more coats of sealer. If you want it shiny, use a gloss sealer for the final coat instead of the matte.

Luvs

o

J, there are certainly more painterly people than I am, but here is how I painted some. I took some brown paint and some extender, I dipped half the brush in the paint and the other half in the extender, then just paint down each groove. This gives them some depth I think. Also, I a little spattering of black paint with a toothbrush might do the trick.
Frou

o

I just did a wash over the pumpkins in a different orange and some with a brown wash - wipe off as much paint as you want to get the desired effect - I mainly just wanted to knock down the 'bright' orange color .....

Lynne

o

Thank you all...
Luvs you are a wonder!!!
I will go home tonight and "de-orange" my pumpkins!! Once I get them done and in the cart, I am finished until after Thanksgiving!
I appreciate you all,
J

o

J, hope you got your pumpkins painted and will share pictures with us. Wish you lived closer and I would share my 20 I just picked with you.

Punk

o

Lots of great ways to "beautify" those pumpkins. Just wanted to add that many people spray paint their orange pumkins white or black too--as I understand, all that's required is the spray paint. Think some add a bit of antiquing too. And I think Karen has used some of the "cobwebbing" paint on hers for a really neat effect. I'll let her tell you more about that. I'm sure yours will come out wonderful. Luvs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here