Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creativeangel_gw

Spreaders

creativeangel
13 years ago

Are any of you as wacko about 'spreaders' as I am?

I just can't pass one up.

I spend countless hours organizing, categorizing by seasons, events, color-coordinating, etc. my spreaders.

Anyone else care to 'fess up?

Comments (20)

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

OK. I'll admit it. I'm a spreader lover too. Shhhhh. Keep that on the down low.

I don't have many, but I love the ones I've got. Some of my favorites were hostess gifts given to me by friends.

CA, I loved to get a closer look. Could you pick out some of your favorites and take a less jumbled picture? Pretty please.

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Ca, I don't collect spreaders, but you sure do seem to have a great starter set LOL!! I would like to see some of your favorites too.
    NanaKaren

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

I'm all about collecting. I never thought about spreaders, they wouldn't even take up much room. Maybe you could display them like people do spoons.
    Frou

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

I only have a few but it's only because I haven't been with all the enablers here long enough.LOL I would love to see all of these spread out so I could get a better look. What I can see looks like you have some wonderful ones and such a great variety.

Punk

• dreamgoddess
    13 years ago

I'd love to see more photos too! I only have a few that I've bought at the TS.

• creativeangel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You asked for it. LOL

I have a link below to an album.
    Didn't post them on this thread to keep loading time down.

My Christmas spreaders are packed away with the Christmas dishes. I'll try to remember to post them around the holiday.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spreaders

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Thanks, CA...was fun to see your collections! Pink flamingos, too! TFS! Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing your album of spreaders. Looks like you have way to many cute Easter ones. Wanna share?LOL All the flowers and veggies are just so cute. I had no idea they made so many of these. Hope you will continue to share your collection with us.

Punk

• party_music50
    13 years ago

Holy cow! I never knew such spreaders existed! lol! I *LOVE* the bird and flower cocktail forks!!! Wherever did you find them?!

You said that you spend hours organizing them, but do you USE them?!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

CA, that is a wonderful collection. You need to find a way to display them! The flamingos are my favorite. Would you believe I've been watching eBay, Etsy, and checking Goodwill
    trying to find a carrot one! For the past year!
    Quite a few years ago, I stumbled on a bunny (for my rabbit collection) that I thought was really neat. He's Majolica
    (by Haldon) and is a jam jar. The seller said the spoon or knife was missing. So I had no clue what it was. Then last year I saw another bunny like him on eBay, but WITH the spreader. So since then, I've been "carrot hunting",
    with no luck yet. LOL.
    Here's what I'm talking about...

I never knew about spreaders coming in so many styles and being so collectible till I started searching for a carrot one. Gosh there are some really neat ones. I almost gave in to temptation and bought the Halloween set on eBay, for which I have NO use. Still, I could display it...LOL.
    Then there's sooooo many cute Christmas ones. sigh.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: cute Halloween spreaders

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

CA,
    Your Spreader Organization put me to shame, so I gathered up my spreaders and I've put them in one place. I had them in about three different drawers. I'm still not sure how I'm going to organize them or where they should be stored permanently, but at least I know where they all are now. If you have any tips, let us know.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

For storing, or displaying, spreaders....small containers of some kind where the handles would be upright to see is what I'd do. I remember on a blog awhile back (think it was Nancy with the fabulous transferware collection), she took some pieces of her transferware and put her prettiest flatware upright in them. Then displayed as a grouping on the buffet. I thought it was a neat idea to show off two collections at once, and let the lovely handles on the flatware be seen.

hugs, Karen

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

CA,
    Look what I came across. If they're reduced one more time, I'm going to own a set.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bone spreaders and forks - set of 4

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Oh, hey. I didn't read any of the new additions since I last posted.
    That's one darling bunny with his carrot spreader. Very clever combination - and a Majolica piece to boot!

Storing the spreaders upright certainly makes sense. It would take up more space and require a deeper drawer, but I am going to think on that idea and see what I can come up with. It certainly beats rummaging through a box of them to find the one you want at the bottom - which is what I'd have to do now.

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

CA, you have a wonderful collection of them and they are so cute. Love the Halloween ones too Karen. OA, are those new bone spreaders going to make an appearance along with that fantastic skeleton hand you shared last year?

I say get a block of foam, attach it to a platter, cover it with some shredded grass or sheet moss and stick those cute little spreaders in there and display them. Lots more fun than stuck in a dark drawer. ;o)

Luvs

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

I got a shoebox and put slits in the top. Using Luvs idea, I think I would add a block of foam inside the box so that knives wouldn't flop around. If this turns out to be useful, I'll cover it with contact paper.

Of course, the best would be to find someone with woodworking skills.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

They look soooo good upright and displayed, OA. You know you can get the pretty "shoebox" type boxes at Michaels in different colors or patterns that are really pretty. And made a bit heavier than regular shoe boxes I think.
    Or you can get the various shaped and size paper mache boxes to decorate that would be neat too. In the craft section. I'm always partial to the octagon ones, LOL.

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Oh boy, creativeangel, you've got the wheels a'turnin' here!

OA, luvs, PM...you'll get this all down pat for all of us to try, right? Cool "thinking inside the box" idea, OA! And quite a nice collection! PM, I love your "bunny!" TFS! Jeanne S.

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Oh gosh, OA, your box and mentioning a woodworker just gave me another idea for a great way to display them.

Can you picture those plastic stair step type spice shelf things that are made for kitchen cabinets? A wood piece made like a box on it's side with slits cut along it for the knives with a higher one in back then another lower one in front. (Picture it like a skinny cigar box on it's side) Could group as many as needed together for a fabulous display!

I bet Jeanne's DH could make them! They could be painted in pretty colors, or covered in scrapbooking paper even.

Hey, wait a minute! I wonder if there's a way to actually use one of those spice shelf things and cut the slits in it for the spreaders??????

Luvs

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Yes. I can see it. I don't think you can use one of the ready-made spice shelf steps because the lower shelf would be too low for the spreader blades to hang down. I should think that the hard part about making it out of wood would be the slits.
    Your suggestion about using cigar boxes would definitely work. But, and this may be a big but, I found that just the small number of spreaders you see in the picture are surprisingly heavy. So I'm not sure it would hold up very well. Boy! I want to try it though. Maybe a person could sort of laminate the cigar boxes with wood and there could be one long slit. Hmmmm. The design seems to be more problematic than you'd think.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals
More Discussions