Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Have to go back to 99 cent store

luvstocraft
13 years ago

Last night, DH wanted to stop by the 99 cent store on our way home from going out for dinner. I went in with him and looked at the Halloween decor. There were some really cute things there--but I refrained since I was with DH and he knows I already have more than I need.

Keep thinking about a few of the items so I just know I have to go back and look again--without DH along, of course! LOL

Don't forget to check your's out too! I keep reminding myself to check those stores first before I look other places for fun decor.

Luvs

Comments (15)

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Gosh, Luvs, I tend to 'forget' about the 99 Cent Store as I automatically head for Dollar Tree. What kind of neat goodies did you see? Here you go 'enabling' again!
    LOL

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They also had packets of little 5 inch skeletons, some small skulls, several types of paper plates and napkins,rolls of the tape like the police use--these said things like "beware", "caution", etc. There were little orange jack o lantern buckets, containers like my trays only long with three compartments or square with four.

Went back this morning--here's pics of the goodies I found.

And I got these to go with the black/white things I got at DT.

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

You got those cute glasses for .99 cents? Wow!
    We have a 99 cent store, but everything is much more than .99!

Looks like you had fun!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathleen, how can you have a 99 cent store that doesn't charge just 99 cents????? Does it say 99 cent plus or something?

The trays and glasses are plastic, that's why I only got two of each. Figured I could do a hamburger/fries/soda tablescape for DH and myself using them around Halloween.

The little signs are on wood, and a whole lot cheaper than anything I could make myself. I wanted to see what Lynn thought of them since she is into silhouettes this year too.

I like these little stores and DT, I can get a shopping fix, some cute stuff and still not spend allot doing it.

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Well no wonder you wanted to go back!!! What neat stuff.
    Especially the wood signs! Maybe I'll go Monday and sneak a peak at the one near me.
    I should check out Dollar General again, tho their stuff is a dollar and UP.

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Great Halloween finds, luvs! I like the idea of burger/fries/soda t'scape coming up! LOL about you going back w/o DH! Too cute! ...and yes, I agree with you, luvs.. DH & I do not make some wood things like the above because they are so available & cheap at many places anymore. TFS! Jeanne S.

Like this, luvs...Here's a witch made from an old barnboard that I did try selling some of ...but they didn't go too well...my price was $8.

This witch had a home at the basement door entry ...will be out there again soon!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanne, I like your witch. What did you use for her hair, it looks perfect for a witch! Next time you might try using a bright lime green paint for her face and setting a wooden crow cutout on her hat brim. Just a thought that might generate attention. Love your little village blocks at the base of her. Are those squash ones you've grown yourself? Cute little arrangement, you sure have a good eye for that kind of thing. ;o)

Luvs

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Yeah, luvs...I grew those gourds & a good friend of mine from yrs ago painted that circular cement village block before she moved away...she did one for several of our "coffee gals" group...she is a really good tole painter...like you! You can't read them in this pic but one says "Jeanne's Photography."

Good idea on the wood crow for the brim of her hat! The hair is that rafia stuff...this witch has the straw color but some I did with "orange." The eyes were painted with black...& have faded...so lime green sounds like another good idea!
    Thanks! Jeanne S.

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

Yes, Luvs, ours says 99 cents in big letters, and underneath very small...and up! and mostly everything is and up!

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Luvs, really cute items from the 99 cents store. We don't have one of those, we have DT & Dollar Gen. and one other, Family Dollar, but I rarely go in there, it is a very messy store, think I've been in there twice in the past 10 years & never found a thing.

There is a .99 cent store in Florida where we stay & one lady at our condo's who lives there, says she goes there all the time & finds really neat things. I never made it there, but the kids went while we were there & grand-daughter bought some bracelets & ankle bracelets.

DH & I used to do wood crafts & do craft shows, but we found that Walmart & other places were selling wood crafts so cheap, that it was killing the home-made craft business.

Just like those wooden signs you got, no way could you or I make them for .99 with all our work & painting.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathleen, that's too bad about the "and up". I've noticed some of the smaller ones around here have a section of higher priced items. The one closest to me is pretty large and usually gets a nice variety of items.

Yachter, you are so right. The wood on these signs are pretty thin, but the painting and glitter all look great! No way could I even buy the supplies for 99 cents!

Hope I can find a cute way to display them. My plan is to start pulling out fall stuff tomorrow, then I will add in the Halloween items in a week or so. My plan right now is to do a black/white tablescape and then one with my orange/black items.

Luvs

• janet1_2007
    13 years ago

Luvs, you were going to do a black/white tablescape? I went into a larger DT with my DD Sun hunting for decs for a baby shower she was giving, and they had a beautiful dosplay wi8th black chargers, white with black designs around the rim plates and and soup bowls to match with solid black cups to match the chargers. I started to get 4 of each, but then thought I would wait and get them at my local store, but when I went in it they didn't have them. They told me that only the larger stores got them. I was so mad at myself. They also had white decorated in red, think valentines day and a lovely set of Fall.plates, cups and soup bowls. Needless to sa

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

Looking forward to your table, Luvs!

Yes, I got a set of orange flatware at the "and up" store for 4.99 lol

Janet, that is too bad you didn't get them. Things disappear quickly. I don't have one close, over 45 min away, so I try to grab it when I see it. And it is a small store, so prob doesn't have the things you mentioned.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Janet, those sound very nice, haven't seen anything like that in my DT either. Sorry you passed them up and then couldn't get them at your locat DT. Don't worry, other bargains will show up I'm sure.

Kathleen, your orange handled flatware sounds great, didn't see anything like that in mine, so guess the stores with "and up" might have a nicer selection of things.

Luvs

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

I doubt it. The orange flatware isn't anything special, worth 4.99 if that! And I really dislike orange, but for Fall it will be fun to play with. Maybe I could mix them with the green, as with these cheap sets they only give you a dinner fork, no cake or salad. I know, what do I want for 4.99! :)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions