Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Painting a new witch

luvstocraft
13 years ago

Thought I'd share a little peek of the new Halloween witch I'm working on. She's 35 inches tall from the tip of her hat to the bottom of her boots. Was a bit of a challenge to cut out with my scroll saw too! I thought she would be cute to set by my front door for Halloween. I'll post another pic of her when she's all done. Luvs

Comments (21)

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

You tease!! It looks like she is going to be absolutely darling!!

Can't wait to see the final product.

TFS,
    Candy

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

She's going to be fantastic! I wish I could still cut out the wood stuff, but sawing and sanding don't seem worth the effort (pain) these days. I love the big stuff like your witch too. I can't wait to see her finished, especially she has her cat with her!
    But I'm sure tempted to borrow your pattern and try making a smaller version of her, especially if she has a 'nice' face. LOL. I'm wanting sweet witches now instead of scary ones. (there are sweet witches aren't there? LOL)

hugs, Karen

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Luvs,
    She's going to be sweet. Can't wait to see the details when you add them.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Lookin' Good and can hardly wait to see more of her. I'm so proud of you to cut this large witch out all by yourself.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karen, I had picked up a couple of older craft magazines at our little library bookstore for 25 cents each. Wasn't much in them that I really liked except for this cute painted witch. She is a "sweet" witch, cute face, orangey/red hair and calico cat instead of the usual black cat. Oh, she's also supposed to have red glittered boots! I loved her and just had to make one!

Pattern was small and said to "enlarge 410%" I was thinking maybe I'd have to take it to Kinko's to enlarge it--then I decided to just try looking at the picture and drawing it on my board. Wasn't hard at all to get the outline--we'll see how I do on the details! LOL

Luvs

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Oh, luvs, you're having a "be-witching" good time! Great job on drawing & cutting out this friendly witch & can't wait to see her boots & all painted up! TFS! Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

"Wasn't hard at all to get the outline."

Yeah, right!

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

You've done a fantastic job on her already! That little frog/toad on her hat is such a cute touch. I can't wait to see what extra details you add to finish her . . . especially her red boots!
    Lynn

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Witches & boots & hats seem to be the popular Halloween theme this year, so your witch will fit right in. Where will you display her?

• bonnieann925
    13 years ago

Scroll saw? I'm so impressed. She's going to be a nice addition to your Halloween decorations when she's finished.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

"Witches & boots & hats seem to be the popular Halloween theme this year"...Yacht, are we all getting some kind of sublimal messages to get "witchy"? Kind of like we were Acorned by Luvs? LOL.

Luvs, you use a scroll saw on big patterns? I always used mine on just the small stuff and my jigsaw on the larger
    ones. My poor scrollsaw hasn't seen action in years, and if I don't quit stacking stuff in front of my workbench in that corner, it never will. (good excuse huh? except I wanted to make Jason some special football Christmas ornaments as a birthday surprise. He has an "Ala football tree" in his man room at Christmas.
    If anyone here has a cure for Procrastination, please tell me! I badly need it. Or some energy.
    I can't get over how Luvs can crank out the cute wood things and do all that painting and cricut-ing so fast.
    I want to grow up to be like her! Waaaaaaaah.

hugs, Karen

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

I like her! So much better than those nasty mean witches! It is going to be adorable!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Big pat on the back, to you luvs, for using the "library bookstore!" Keeps that old stuff out of the dumpster! Yah...& also puts a few dollars towards programming in the library (here anyway)...our groups are called "Friends of the Library" & it's all volunteer work. So that "smiling witch" came from a good source! I admire your "sawing" skills also! Jeanne S.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanne, our store is Friends of the Library too! I love it when I can go in and sometimes find painting or craft books for only 25 cents--magazines too. I usually buy up all the paperback westerns I can find too--those go to my big brother to read during those long Missouri winter nights! After I finish with most of the books/mags, I donate them back to them again so someone else can enjoy them.

Karen, I'm not very good with a jig saw. On this I just made several cuts from the outside to the line all around the witch. That way I could just cut small sections with the scroll saw, it worked pretty well. I love my saw, and the smell of wood!

I've been painting on her more today, and she's coming along. Can't wait to get her done. Trust me, I am not fast! Punk on the other hand is like the energizer bunny and just paints up projects in no time. I'm looking forward to when things slow down again for her, so she can create more neat projects to share.

Yes, we do seem to be in a "witchy" mood this year. Maybe it's because there are so many cute things out there in that theme this year. I know Jane and I had both mentioned that we are really into the silhouettes for some reason this year. I dug through some saved magazines and found a few neat silhouettes--hope I'll have time to paint a few of them. And Jane is doing that really big witch and her cats--can't wait to see when she's done! ;o)

I enjoy seeing other people's "scary" decorations, but for myself I usually prefer the "cute" halloween things. Anyone remember that big lifesize creepy butler Tamgypsy had? That guy would give me a fright everytime I saw him--no way could I have that in my house! LOL

And Lynn is all excited about Halloween this year, can't wait to see what she creates! I'm loving all the pictures on the blogs and the ones Karen has collected in the albums. Now I just need to get out in the shed and pull out my boxes and get my house decorated! What was that you said about procrastination Karen????? If you find a cure, I need it too! LOL

Luvs

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Luvs I'm so impressed with the great job on your Witch..she's going to be a 'Sweet Witch' for sure.
    I'll be looking forward to her 'unveiling' !

I'm also impressed on your cutting skills...
    DH worked on the large silhouette one for me, and it really
    did havoc on the blade..and with a large size to cut out...it's scarey to me.

I guess your witch is the 'Good Witch of the North' and mine .... 'The Wicked Witch of the West'...
    even tho you're West...and I'm North!!! LOL

jane

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Oh, that is sooo cute and I know it's going to get even cuter!

• kirkus
    13 years ago

Luvs, I am always soooo impressed with your creations! This witch is FANTASTIC! You are soooo creative and INSPIRING! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

She is just adorable. Is her name Wendy?
    NanaKaren

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the fun comments. I've been working on her each day. Still have her hair and the details on the cat to go, then I'll share the finished product with you. I'm already thinking about needing some cornstalks, and pumpkins to put around her for a display on my front patio. ;o) Luvs

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

I love the smell of fresh cut wood, too, Luvs. Always have. I'm anxious to see how your sweet witch turns out. I'm another one who likes the nice witches and other Halloween decor; not those scary, creepy ones. Several years ago I let DD talk me into buying a very scary, very graphic severed vampire head to use in their school's haunted house. Unfortunately, all decs went back to their owners afterwards, so I'm stuck with that awful thing. DD loves it, being a teenager, and won't let me throw it away. I keep the darn thing wrapped inside 3 black bags, so I don't have to see it when I unpack the decs each year. I won't let her keep it out anywhere in the house, so she just hauls it out to startle me a few times during the season . . . like last night :~O

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Lynn, TEENAGERS !! That is funny she likes that horrible thing, but I'm not sure how funny it is to have it scare the bejeebers of you...like last night.
    I am not into the scary stuff either, and Halloween is my least favorite holiday to decorate. This year I'll probably just have a "Happy Witch Convention" going on.
    LOL.

hugs, Karen

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions