Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Encouraging My Little Protégés

oldalgebra
13 years ago

This morning I had my three grandchildren (6,7, and 8) over to bake a cake for their mother's birthday. While it was cooling, I suggested we set the patio table, as their aunt and uncle would be coming for lunch to join in the celebration. "First, you'll have to pick out some place mats," I said. I took them over to the cabinet and opened the doors.

Now, I own just about every conceivable color of place mat you could want.

Honestly, it is a collection to be admired by the most ardent tablescaping aficionado.

I mean look at this! It's Place Mat Heaven in there.

Well, they start pulling the layers out, and three minutes into it one of them asks,

"Grandma, where are your birthday place mats? You don't have any birthday ones."

Hmmmm. OK. I'll admit, I don't have birthday specific ones, but . . . .

"We could use the pink ones and draw polka dots on them," suggested Miss Goosebumps.

"No. No, I don't think that would be such a good idea."

"But wait. I've got paper!"

So here's the result. They designed, picked out and arranged everything. They worked like busy little bees.

Gracie wanted to make "those name tags" and Miss Goosebumps suggested making ones for the dog and cat.

Today's lesson included:

1. The host and hostess (the man and woman who give the party) usually sit at either end of the table.

2. The sharp part of the knife is turned toward the plate.

3. The name tags are called place cards.

4. The pretty things in the middle of the table make up what's called the centerpiece.

Next time we'll work on napkin placement.

OK. I'm done bragging.

Comments (16)

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

May I take lessons next? LOL. I have a feeling those little ones could teach me something for that matter!

I repeat what I said the other day about you being a super grandma and I wish my grandkids had you.

So let me know when the lessons start, LOL.
    Tho I warn you, I was never good at tests!!!

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

You are such a Sweet DGma.
    With your helpful guidance, they created a colorful setting!
    I love that they picked it all out and even 'Designed' it...
    Kids love taking part in putting something special together.
    I'm sure this will be a Birthday to remember because of that.
    Since my Gkids have moved in with us, I've been trying to get them to help more. Tablesetting, has become a big hit.

jane

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

How fun for them! Bet they were just busy bees getting it all set up and will be so proud when they hear all those compliments for a job well done!

You really are a good grandma, getting them involved and teaching them some of the terms and placements for everything. Bet the meal turned out really fun too. ;o)

Luvs

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

It must be in the genes.
    Great job!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Bubbles! T'cloth reminds me of bubbles...the most fun thing in the world! (just played with them awhile ago outdoors in the wind with littliest GS)!...a real original! And the nametags for the cat & dog, too...I love that! Those bears are way cute for the centerpc along with a framed pic that I'm sure the b'day party guests enjoyed! TFS! Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments. I will be sure to show the children how much you enjoyed their work.

Gracie picked out the pictures herself. They all love the fact that I display pictures of Mommy when she was little. I'm sure they think I do it for their sake. The only help I provided with the centerpiece was to suggest sitting the bears back-to-back because they tended to topple over.

Jeanne, I too loved the cat and dog place cards. I guess that means EVERYONE was invited.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to comment on the outdoor party tablescape.

• luckygal
    13 years ago

You're a good teacher, OA, and the results show the tablescaping lesson was learned!

I think the Holiday Forum will be in good hands when they grow up! :-D

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

I am new to posting on this forum, I'm usually on kitchens and decorating, but I was really moved by your post, Oldalgebra. I have kids the same age as your grandkids, and neither of their grandmothers do anything like that with them. I know you already know this, but your grand-children are so lucky to have you (and your daughter too)! Thanks for sharing.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I meant to add that Miss Goosebumps is definitely my kinda girl...including the dog and cat. LOL.
    Kathleen is definitely right about decorating is in their genes! I bet we see some wonderful future things from them, and maybe someday they will actually be on here posting as the next generation. ;o)

Welcome by the way, Paintergirl, hope you hang around and enjoy all our fun here. Its a GREAT group!

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Hi Paintergirl, glad you found us. Please feel welcome and come chat with us often.

I think most Gma's would love to do things with their gkids, but just not sure what the kids would be interested in. Surprisingly many really enjoy just "helping" with things. I always remember that I loved doing things at my Aunt's and Gparents, but was very "put out" if requested to do the same things at home! LOL

Luvs

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Hi Paintergirl, glad you found us. Please feel welcome and come chat with us often.

I think most Gma's would love to do things with their gkids, but just not sure what the kids would be interested in. Surprisingly many really enjoy just "helping" with things. I always remember that I loved doing things at my Aunt's and Gparents, but was very "put out" if requested to do the same things at home! LOL

Luvs

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Hey, thanks guys! You do sound like a fun bunch!

• bonnieann925
    13 years ago

You are SO organized...what a great way to store and actually SEE what you've got in there! Your grandchildren are fortunate to have you take an interest in their special requests and then use it as a "teachable moment". That is just so cute!

The tablescape is creative, fun and "from the heart". It's what a family table should be. Kudos to you for being such a good example for them!

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

OA, you made me laugh again with this post. I hope I have time to do things like this with my Gk's in time. What a fun table and I love the cat and dog place cards. Nice storage for your place mats.

Punk

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

What a cute table, Sounds like you had as much fun as the GKs putting it all together. MAYBE MORE! Isn't it great seeing things through the eyes of children? I wish I had much storage. NanaKaren

• jaybird
    13 years ago

OA you are the BEST!!!! I know the younglets had a ball and did up a great table!!
    Thanks for sharing them with us!
    J