Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edie3

With Halloween almost upon us...

edie3
13 years ago

I really would like to make a wreath for my front door. However, the door is unprotected from the elements. What can I use that work for a door like that? Thanks!!

Comments (7)

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

I've never actually seen one, but you might look into garbage bag wreaths.

Here's one link. When I googled it, a ton of sites came up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plastic Bag Wreath Tutorial

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

You could go to a thrift store and buy a grapevine wreath, paint it black, buy a kids orange trick or treat pumpkin new or TS, cut off the front and hot glue it or wire it in the center of the wreath, and make a bow from a black garbage bag.

You could also probably find a faux greenery wreath as lots of the TS are putting out their holiday decor now, and spray paint that black, add plastic picks from HL or Michaels, or those little pumpkin treat holders that come in packages of 6, or Dollar Tree has lots of Halloween items now that you could add to the wreath like skulls and pumpkins.

Any natural decor like pincones, twigs, leaves, cattails, nuts, anything you find outdoors would make good decorative items also.

Have fun and please share pictures of what you create.

TTFN,
    Candy

• edie3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I like that black plastic bag one. Thanks!!

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

You could go to a thrift store and buy a grapevine wreath, paint it black, buy a kids orange trick or treat pumpkin new or TS, cut off the front and hot glue it or wire it in the center of the wreath, and make a bow from a black garbage bag.

You could also probably find a faux greenery wreath as lots of the TS are putting out their holiday decor now, and spray paint that black, add plastic picks from HL or Michaels, or those little pumpkin treat holders that come in packages of 6, or Dollar Tree has lots of Halloween items now that you could add to the wreath like skulls and pumpkins.

Any natural decor like pincones, twigs, leaves, cattails, nuts, anything you find outdoors would make good decorative items also.

Have fun and please share pictures of what you create.

TTFN,
    Candy

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Hi edie3, glad you came by and posted here. I immediately thought about the trash bag wreaths too so was glad to see OA had posted a site for you. They really turn out pretty if you make them nice and full. And it's easy to wire decorations on them if you want also.

The grapevine wreaths Candy mentioned hold up really well outside. I've had one on my shed for a year now with the sun and sprinklers and it's still looking good. Unfortunately, the little wooden birdhouses I painted and attached to it are NOT holding up as well! ;o(

Don't be afraid to use spray paint on an artificial Christmas wreath either. I've seen whole trees spray painted and it came out fine. Just do several light coats not a really heavy coat that causes the greenery to stick together. You could paint one black or orange and attach decorative things to it like Candy mentioned.

Be sure to come share a pic of your creation with us, we love seeing what everyone's makes! ;o)

Luvs

• edie3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for all your ideas, and the warm welcome. I am not sure if I like thinking about ideas to do, or to making them!! If I get something done in time for Halloween, I will be sure to post it!

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Edie, sounds like you've gotten alot of good ideas. I keep thinking I will make a black or orange wreath but never get it done. I bought 2 at JoAnn's and added a little extra to them.

Punk

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions