Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It sheds!

Posted by maximavswife (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 17:37

I purchased a couple of yards of burlap from Joann's (used a coupon, of course!). I am planning to make a runner for the dining table for fall and T-day. I know from last year when I used burlap it shed all over everything. Our lil light haired dog doesn't shed as much as burlap does! :) How do I stop the shedding? Any help would be appreciated.

Kath

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It sheds!

Kath, Try spraying your finished runner with hair spray or a spray starch, maybe even a product like Clear coat though it might give it a different feel. I think I would try the hair spray first. Someone was talking on another post about cat tails shedding when they dried. I have also sprayed them with hairspray with pretty good results. Hope this helps. ( YOU could try a little on a scrap first to see if it worked)Janet

o

Be careful if you have guests with allergies as burlap can really set people off. The hairspray or Clear coat would cut back on allergens. Just don't ruin your table, starch or hairspray can be pretty hard to get off of hard surfaces as some lacquer may be in hairspray & starch if gets wet would get on table. They use sugar water to make crocheted vases stand up etc, I guess you could get recipe off Internet & use lighter solution but you would have to lay it so it would be same shape as runner on table in case it got stiff anyway. Watered down white glue would work also I would think.Jan

o

I've tried burlap, too, max & love the look but hate the feel & the shedding...so, I'm buying "linen" this time around ...kind of get the look, but not the mess! But I do use burlap in lots of outdoor stuff! No much help, but just a thought. Jeanne S.

o

I agree, it makes me itch and sneeze! Good idea, J , with the linen, ie. Or even canvas tarps.

o

I read somewhere that you could use the Spray on sealer on burlap and even the cat tails to help hold things in place. Maybe a couple of light coats and not get them too wet, worth a try. Luvs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here