Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonnieann925

Late summer dinner for six

bonnieann925
13 years ago

It's been fun watching all the posts about Fall decorating and seeing all the lovely tablescapes. I simply can't wrap my head around Fall yet and am still hanging on to Summer here for as long as possible. It's a beautiful day and DH is about to mow the lawn while I take a walk. We're having two couples over for dinner tonight.

One of my favorite meals is lamb. This morning I was able to get a beautiful piece of Icelandic lamb at Whole Foods (they have it only seasonally, and if you're a lamb lover, you have to try it. It's so much better than New Zealand lamb, imo.) Once I knew I could get the lamb, the rest of the meal feel into place: asparagus, roasted red potatoes, native corn on the cob,Caprese salad and a cheese course of Cremont double cream cheese along with Cana De Cabre goat cheese. One friend is bringing appetizers, another is bringing dessert (apple crisp w/ native apples...a nod to fall!)The lamb is marinating now and it smells so good! It's a Silver Palate cookbook recipe that never fails me! So much so, in fact, that my cookbook literally falls open to that recipe!

The "men" have chosen a wonderful selection of wines, one of which we brought back from a recent trip to France. The evening will start with an Italian bubbly, Prosecco!

Here's pic of the lamb and below one of the table (the tablecloth is my $10 TJMaxx bargain, the flowers were last night's arrangement with some more roses added, along with some black-eyed Susans and some lavender):

Comments (7)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

That t'cloth is so very lovely...& always great to have "fresh flowers!" Enjoy your menu & the gift of friendship. Not ready for Fall yet either...but have put some apple decor about...good apples here,too! TFS! Jeanne S.

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

Beautiful and the menu sounds delish!!

I am not ready to let go of summer, but it is sure trying to leave around here! It was misty, and 54 here this morning. The sun finally came out this afternoon and it made it into the 70's, but as soon as it went down it was right back into the 50's. :(
    Fortunately, it is supposed to be back into the 90's tomorrow.

Anyway, I gave up and started my fall decorating, because I actually enjoy the decorations even if I don't want summmer to go.

I hope you had a wonderful evening and the lamb was as delicious as its picture.

TFS,
    Candy

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

That tablecloth is really pretty! I'll pass on the lamb tho. I had a pet one years ago. LOL. She grew up thinking she was one of the dogs and got spoiled rotten. (no she wasn't allowed in the house.. after she passed the bottle feeding stage.)

I'd love to share my summer with you! Ours has decided this last official week will be a record breaking one!
    It was 109 today.

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Very pretty tablecloth, and love your pretty flowers. Hope you really enjoyed your meal with your friends. It all sounded wonderful. Luvs

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Bonnie, good to hear from you and thanks for posting another pretty table with us. Love your stemware and new tablecloth. Hope you enjoyed your meal with friends. I have never tasted lamb but have a friend that sounds just like you when talking about it. I'm like Karen when it comes to that.

Punk

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Another tablecloth lover , everything looks lovely. I wish I could come and "help" you eat the wonderful meal....I think we need a recipe here :^)
    Thanks for posting!!
    J

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your kind comments. I know some people don't care at all for lamb (Karen, you have a very good reason for not wanting to eat lamb!) Here's the recipe:

I love Google! I Googled "Peppercorn Lamb + Silver Palate Cookbook") and.......voila....the recipe appeared! Lots of fun comments about how good it is came up too!

Roast Lamb with Peppercorn Crust
    From The Silver Palate Cookbook
    The mixture of mustard and three peppercorns gives this roast a crisp and piquant crust.

(6 to 8 portions)

3 tablespoons crushed dried peppercorns, an equal mix of white, black, and green
    1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, or 11âÂÂ2 teaspoons dried
    1âÂÂ2 cup fresh mint leaves
    5 garlic cloves, crushed
    1âÂÂ2 cup raspberry vinegar (Available in specialty food stores)
    1âÂÂ4 cup soy sauce
    1âÂÂ2 cup dry red wine
    1 boned but untied leg of lamb (about 5 pounds after boning)
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1. Combine 1 tablespoon of the crushed peppercorns, the rosemary, mint, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, and red wine in a large shallow bowl. Add the lamb and turn to coat with the marinade. Marinate the lamb, covered, in the refrigerator, for 8 hours, turning occasionally.

2. Preheat the oven to 350�F.

3. Remove the roast from the marinade and drain; reserve the marinade. Roll the roast, tying it with kitchen twine.

4. Spread the mustard over the meat and pat 2 tablespoons of crushed peppercorns into the mustard. Set the roast in a shallow roasting pan just large enough to hold it comfortably and pour the reserved marinade carefully around but not over the roast.

5. Bake for 1-1âÂÂ2 hours, or 18 minutes per pound, basting occasionally. The roast will be medium rare. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes for well-done meat. Let the roast stand for 20 minutes before carving. Serve the pan juices in a gravy boat along with the lamb.
    (I strain the pan juices, thicken w/ a tad of cornstarch mixed with water.......yum!)

Sponsored
More Discussions