Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_li

Spraying Hydrangea

kathleen_li
16 years ago

A few years ago I made 12 centerpieces for my gsons Christening. As it was the week before Christmas, I used hydrangea from my garden I had cut and saved, sprayed them gold, evergreens, pine cones, white flowers and baby's breath. I didn't have a digi cam then, so no pics.

Here are some I just sprayed gold for an arrangement I am making for a dinner party next Sat. You will have to tune in the end of the week to see the finished product, lol.

{{gwi:1435969}}

Comments (17)

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I have many , despite the drought - they lost their color early, but are just starting to dry. At what point do you spray paint for Christmas, and what kind of paint do you use? I will be back to see the finished arrangement!
    I also just saw your wreath - gorgeous! Someone mentioned it, so I found the thread. Are the stems in water, or foam?
    Very, very pretty. I just found this particular forum - so much at GW! I can't keep up!
    Thanks!

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mag, just regular gold spray paint from Michaels. The wreath is just pinned in to a ribbon covered straw wreath.
    I don't know what part of the country you are from, but you can cut them now and spray, or cut them and keep them in a cool dark place, I used my garage, until you are ready to gold or silver them.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

There was once upon a time a spray that Michael's had that was just gold glitter, which I have used on my hydrangeas and really liked it for Christmas time.

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Patricia, I will have to look for that for the ones I do for Christmas. This is for a 50th Wedding Anniversary, and I want to mix fresh flowers with them.

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

These are just gorgeous, Kathleen. Love them. Obviously they don't grow in Phoenix, and wouldn't live with my black thumb anyway. Thank goodness for the better looking silk ones now or I'd not have have ANY of my very favorite flower.

hugs, Karen

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The finished product..{{gwi:1435897}}.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Kathleen, that is such a great way to use and enjoy your flowers longer. Not only do you get to enjoy the pretty colors in your yard, but then you get to enjoy them in pretty arrangements after they are picked and dried. Mine did not do very well, just got so terribly hot this summer. I think I've lost one plant, but the other one is still blooming. I'm thinking that I will transplant it to a slightly more shaded area so it will be a little more protected from the heat next summer.

Mag, you are so right, Gardenweb has so many forums, but it is so fun to see what everyone is doing. Glad you are joining us here at Holidays, and hope you will join right in and start posting your pics and ideas too.

Luvs

• User
    16 years ago

Many years ago Matha Stewart did some elaborate Christmas decorations using gold paint - Her sister called it "Martha's gilt trip"

So now we have "Kathleen's gilt trip" LOL...

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Jim

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Kathleen , it's very elegant and you did a great job!

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jim, my gilt trip, lol ,is over , that is the final product. Of course I am saving the gold hyd and may try spraying some black for a black and gold Halloween centerpiece!

• User
    16 years ago

My bad!!!LOL... I got confused, I saw the post when you opened it w/your gold intentions and fast forwarded to post missing your lovely arrangement in the middle.

Jim

Now I'm on a guilt trip. LOL...

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Watch out, here I come with the spray paint!!LOL

• User
    16 years ago

"Watch out, here I come with the spray paint!!LOL"

Okay Goldfinger! ;)

{{gwi:1435970}}

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG! I read about some star who was covered with goldish stuff, and they had to take it off...she couldn't breathe. I had it all over my nails when I sprayed the flowers, ran in and scrubbed it off so I wouldn't die, LOL

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Kathleen, that was an actress during the making of the James Bond "Goldfinger" movie I think. Jim, is your picture above from that movie? LOL

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Beautiful arrangement, Kathleen - I am going to spray mine & use for Christmas. I will wear gloves - thanks for the warning.
    Love the gold lady!

• User
    16 years ago

Luvs - Yes it is!
    Kathleen - you should have left it on your fingers, then you would have had...the golden touch! LOL...

Jim

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions