Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judithva_gw

What do you all think about having a little online class?

judithva
15 years ago

What do you all think about having a little online class?

This is what I am thinking (if you all think this might be helpful and fun).

I would like to use a popular decorating book with a certain page/design of Mary Carol Garitty's book: Nell Hills, Entertaining in Style, to be used as practice/instruction. I would (try) to explain the ways that I disseminate a picture in my effort to try to copy or get inspiration from a table setting or vignette. Of course any one else's opinion/instructions are welcomed, after all we often see things from a different point of view. I learn from you all too!

A page out of the book that I would like to do is: Nell Hills, Entertaining in Style, by Mary Carol Garrity, I have a page or two picked out already.

1. So the question is would you even like to do this?

2. Do you own the book, if not can you go to the library and borrow one?

I realize that I could just take a picture of a picture with my digi camera out of the book, but I am a bit nervous about Copyright infringement, I used to post inspiration photos from my very large collection on GW but someone official in the "Blog world" some-time ago said the actual photographers of photos were "cracking down" on the unauthorized use of their works, so since I am too poor to pay my way out of trouble (unless they want payment in dishes) I think I will have to stay within the legal lines LOL. But at any rate, owning her series of books is well worth it, but again, they are in the libraries too, I know that buying books is expensive!

So, that is what people here would need to do in order to participate fully (either own, buy or borrow the above mentioned book).

I think it would be fun.

Soooo what do you think?

Comments (64)

• snolady
    15 years ago

judithva,
    May I ask what is RMS? Forgive me but I don't know what that abbrev stands for.
    sno

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Snolady, oops, sorry I should have spelled it out for people that may not be familar with it (they have a TV show right now with the "low rated" people who post on Rate My Space (RMS). They take people who rated low and do a make- over with inspiration pictures the low raters liked on RMS..it was on TV last night I think. I hope the link works. :)

I hope you will join up in the "class" here. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My photos on RMS or HGTV's Rate My Space

• jamie_mt
    15 years ago

Payday is next week, so if you aren't starting until after that, I'll see if I can get a copy of the book as well. Sounds like an interesting study - and great fun too, of course. :-)

Thanks for all the hard work!

• mary_ruth
    15 years ago

I would LOVE to do this! I have none of those books but will try and follow somehow!

You don't get copyright infringement for instructional use. And if you do not claim them as your own or make money from them without paying the original photographer or source.

The pictures could be put on a private flickr or photobucket album for instance and password given on this course so you don't have to upload them here. Then deleted after the course. Just an idea!

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jamie, yes that is fine, I know people will need some time to either buy or borrow a book, no problems :)

Mary Ruth, wonderful to have you join us too. At the bottom of the page there will be a link where I had read about this issue of using others photos. Unfortunately the link in Romantic Homes paragraph only links you to the Editors main page..you would have to go thru all her past posts to find the legal reasons and stipulations for this, and to me the law is clear on this. So I just no longer feel comfortable crossing the line, I have enough crazy things going on with me life...as it is the Doctors get most of my 'extra' money these days, I really don't want to take a chance of lining anyone elses pockets LOL.
    Now what everyone wants to do on their own is fine with me, now I suppose someone might want to PM the owners of this (GW) web site to ask if it is OK in their 'legal eyes'. I really want this to work, I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I guess I am just a scaredy cat these days LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Romantic home blog

• tamgypsy
    15 years ago

Ooohhh - count me in. What a GREAT idea. I'm not sure if I have that book, I'll have to look. I still copy a lot and would love to 'develop' my eyes to be able to see things and understand them in order to create all on my own.

• mary_ruth
    15 years ago

Thanks for letting me know Judith! I really don't want to add any problems for anyone! And you are not a wet blanket! Hey, that sounds like a challenge for a vignette! I'll bet you could make a wet blanket look GREAT!
    tamgypsy,
    Saw your RMS spaces and commented, nice!

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tam, wonderful for you to join us! Everyone will want your expertise too!
    Mary Ruth, you are so funny...hmmm wet blanket, how can I make that look good in a vignette...I know I will add in my doggie, Toby right after a bath, doggie pictures never look bad LOL ;)

Ah, I found the more descriptive post, go down to her (the Editor) JULY 8th post......

http://barbarajacksier.blogspot.com/2007_07_01_archive.html

Here is a link that might be useful: legal post

• mary_ruth
    15 years ago

Thanks Judith, watching out for us! What a caring generous person you are! I will check it out right away!

• lovinlifesc
    15 years ago

I've lurked here for a long time, but just started posting on the Home Decorating forum. I'd love to participate in this online class as well.

I'll look for the book at the library or perhaps on Amazon.

Thanks so much. Your tablescapes have been a source of much inspiration to me. I look forward to your blog tutorial on the stacked plates.

Susan

• mommacass
    15 years ago

I just ordered the book. Hope it gets here quickly, I don't want to miss anything. I am soooo looking forward to this!

• dining_delight
    15 years ago

Me too! I ordered it from Amazon, supposed to arrive this week. I couldn't believe our regional library didn't have any copies of it. But I'm sure it is a book I'd love to own anyway so this is a good excuse.

DD

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susan, welcome, happy to have you join us.

No worries mommacass and ladies, I'll wait until you all have received your books. Those that have said they are interested please post here when you get your book then when everyone has their book we can get started, I think this will be fun for everyone. Hopefully everybody will be ready to go in the next week or so?

DD I am surprized that the library did not have a copy, my library has all of them, I guess it depends on how large your libray is. But even though you may have to buy one, I really think that the book is worth it.

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all!

OK, this is who wants to do this so far:
    Betty
    Mo
    Jaybird
    Mommacass
    Aunteypo? (I think she was just giving us a heads up where to buy the book)
    Oldalgebra
    slinkey
    Dining Delight (DD)
    Delphinium
    Luvs
    Jamie mt
    Mary Ruth
    Tamgypsy
    Lovinlifesc (Susan)
    (hope I did not miss anyone)

If there are any lurkers out there you can still participate, just let me know on this thread.

A question I would like to put to you ladies that have decided to do this: Do you want to do this here at GW, or would you rather a seperate private site set up to do this?

• Sheeisback_GW
    15 years ago

I think it's a great idea and would like to be a lurker but don't know that I'll have the book. Can I still watch?

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Judith, I think we should do it here. After all, doing tablescapes is what we have been doing on here during and between holiday discussions. Besides, setting a pretty table really does add to every holiday and season. Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, no problem, I guess I started to worry that some of the ladies might be shy. I also would hate to have someone say that it was "off-topic", but things have been good so far..

Also, I noticed at the top of the GW page, something about missing pages from 9/20 and they/GW were working to "restore" them , I just don't want our pages to get "lost", but just in case I will try to print out our stuff just in-case. something happens.

Sheeshare, oh, yes, of course you can lurk/watch, but it might be confusing as there will be no picture uploaded from the book (due to copyright issues) so in some cases it might be a bit confusing with no picture to go by. My basic instructions would work for any pic. However, our "homework" though will be based on the choosen picture in the book...that is where we will probably loose people that don't have the pic. Otherwise enjoy!

• mary_ruth
    15 years ago

So, Mary Carol Garitty's book: Nell Hills, Entertaining in Style, is the only book I would need?

• mo13
    15 years ago

Judith,
    I got the book this weekend so I am all set. Looking forward to the class. :) And thanks for sharing your ideas and knowledge.

Mo

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mary Ruth, yes that is the book I am using for this.

Mo, thats great, how do you like her book so far?

• mo13
    15 years ago

Judith,
    Its a very nice book loaded with lovely settings and ideas. Definitely worth buying. Although, I got a bit of decorating overload since I had her other book at home and also borrowed another book called 'The Art of accessorizing'. My poor husband is trying his best to block out my conversations about the stuff I am reading.

I did feel that although her settings look grand, they are not always practical... in a few pictures, I cant imagine how people would have a conversation with centerpieces going up to the chandelier. LOL... but overall, I am really loving the book. I especially liked the chocolate party setting. :)

I usually read these books, look at the pics but have never paid attention to why a certain thing works. I tried that last night with one picture and it took me a long time to figure it out - atleast I think I understood it. :) Thanks for getting me thinking about analyzing the settings instead of just admiring them.

Mo

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

I've been off for a few days, so I am late. I don't have the book, but I will try to get it..

• delphinium33
    15 years ago

OK, I have the book and am all set. I think we should do the class on this site.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Judith, don't worry...son and dil are attorneys...they will give you a discount!! LOL

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Kathleen, could you ask them about sharing a picture from a book or magazine on here? I see so many on the blogs, so there must be some rule about it being okay as long as credit is given to the owner and they aren't being used for profit. I have some neat clippings that I've saved from old magazines, but like Judith, I've been afraid to scan any of them to share on here. Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kathleen, great, I'm happy you are joining us, I'm also glad you all are finding the books.

Luvs, I am not sure if you had read the links I provided, but according to that editor, that even if credit was given some of the photographers were still "going after" the people who posted it. Yes, lots of people post photos, I have too in the past until I read the mention of cracking down on folks, then I quit doing it. Plus even the books themselves at the front of the book says not to copy in any way shape or form (in somecases there are exceptions if it is used for a review only, and in this case we are not doing a "review". Sigh, I do wish it was otherwise, but I am truely uncomfortable otherwise to do it. I hope you understand, I am not trying to be a pain, I would just rather be "safe". :)

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mo, did not want to forget you, I am glad you are enjoying the book. I agree some of the settings are "over the top", but some of the tablescapes she has done can be paired down a bit to work for most people. The main thing to learn for all of this is the steps taken to acheive what she has done, and also learning how to "step back" with some items and still have a look that works for you. I would say too, even though she did give tips on her tablesettings, she still doesn't go into depth about acheiving them. So I am hoping to give my views on the matter, and of course everyone else participating can add their insights too.

• dining_delight
    15 years ago

THANK YOU JUDITH!! I just got my book in the mail today and right after work, sat down with a cup of tea and savoured every page/word (not that I've read that much but am loving it already). It is totally my kind of book and I'm happy I had this reason to order it. (Her other books will be on my Christmas wish list.) So thanks Judith for the idea to do this online class and for us to get the book!

DD

• mommacass
    15 years ago

I got my book today also! It is wonderful. Thanks, Judith, I would have never seen it if it weren't for you! I'm ready for school.

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DD, you are most welcome, I am so happy you like her book. I have all her books, but I must admit a special fondness for her Christmas book.

Mommacass, wow, you got your book fast too! I'm glad you like it too, I was a little nervous about everyone liking her work as much as I do.

I guess we will start the class when everyone on here that said they wanted to do this has checked in to say they are ready with a book, hopefully by next week??

• tamgypsy
    15 years ago

I checked and I do have the book. Tam reporting to class *grin*

• Kathie738 P
    15 years ago

Just what I need to recuperate from surgery...can I come and play too...pretty please
    Kathie

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Tam, great! I'm happy you got it, how do you like the book so far?

Kathie, Welcome, yes, definately you are welcome to join the group. Sorry to hear about the surgery, but I agree with you, it is nice to have a distraction in surgery recovery, believe me I know. :)

• pdg777
    15 years ago

I'm also a lurker and occasional poster. I would LOVE to participate. My question is, how will it be done? Would we have to be on our computers at a certain time of day? I'm going to go to the library to look for the book. Thanks for offering to do this!

• jamie_mt
    15 years ago

I'm going to have to drop out already, I'm afraid. Just too much stuff going on this month with our party and all. I don't think I'll have enough time to properly do my "homework" in. But I'd love to just watch from the sidelines, and see what everyone comes up with! :-)

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pdg777, Hi, great, glad you are joining in, hopefully this will be usefull for you, and everyone else (including me) :) In answer to your question about when to be on, I will probably post the "start" hopefully sometime next week, I am waiting for people to pop in and say they have the book and are ready. There is no specific time I would expect people to be on the computer, mainly because some folks work and others have different schedules. So I will be trying to keep it "loose" and casual.

Jamie, I am sorry you have to drop out. But no worries, I will be posting the homework, and of course all the discussions will be here, so as long as the threads don't disappear (like what happened earlier according to the Admins---see top of the page here in red) But, anyhoo, like I said everything will be here (except for the photos, hence the need to have the book at home)so as long as you have the book you will still be able to look back and follow. But one particualr exercise/homework you will be able to do with ANY photo.

I am hoping for a great shared experience, there are alot of talented folks here that can add in their thoughts too, it is always great to hear from other people because we all learn from different perspectives IMHO.

I'm looking forward to have a rewarding time with all of you. :)

• mary_ruth
    15 years ago

I am bumping this because I don't want to lose sight of this thread to see what day this happens, or starts! Getting excited!

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Maybe we need to ask who still needs more time to get the book. Hopefully, we can get started by the end of the week if that works for Judith and all. Luvs

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

I didn't get my book yet although I ordered it ...But you don't have to wait for me if everyone else is ready!!!

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

Mine hasn't arrived either, but go ahead and get started. Who knows when mine will arrive. I got it on the cheap, so I suspect it's coming by Pony Express.

• woodpat
    15 years ago

Judithva,
    What a wonderfully inventive way to share your enormous talent. I too am a lurker who has been lured out of lurkdom to participate with you. I have the book and am ready to go whenever the group is ready. Again, thanks for the opportunity to learn.

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all,Good Morning!

I see that a lot of you haven't received your books yet, is no problem to wait, lets give it the rest of the week for everyones books to arrive. After all the first lesson involves the book LOL.

So everyone who signed up, once you all get your books, pop in on this post and let me know when you get your book then hopefully we will start on Friday or Saturday of this coming week.

Woodpat, glad to have you join us. This will be a casual and very easy exercise, I am hoping to have lots of thoughts going back and forth between everyone participating in this.

• luvshome
    15 years ago

Judithva,

I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while. I would love to join your class, if it's ok. I already have the book. I'm really enjoying the beautiful tablescapes posted on this site. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and talent.

• jaybird
    15 years ago

LOL O A.....
    Welcome Woodpat and Luvshome! Judith is well worth your time to come out of Lurkdom! Everyone here has an enormous amount of talent!
    Judith, I have my book, but if you start over the weekend, I will have to catch up as I will be gone until the 16th. Don't wait for me....I will pop in when you least expect me..... as usual!

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Luvshome, welcome and yes, the more the merrier. You are right there are lots of talented ladies and gentlemen (Jim) here, we all get so much encouragement from each other.

As it gets closer to starting time I will do one last ROLL CALL to see if everyone has their books, then we will be ready to parteeeeea! LOL

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

The bookstore just called and said it's in!!!!! I will pick it up tomorrow when DH goes for X-rays. Can't wait. I would go tonight,but it's 35 miles away and we were already there today for 2 DR's appointments. I even went in the store and asked if it was in yet. So happy it's finally here!!
    B

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yea! Betty, yes, best to wait until tommorrow to get your book on the way to the Drs, that way you save on gas! Beleive me, I try now to always get all my "gotta dos" done all together so I don't waste gas.

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

My book arrived in the mail today. I'm ready to go.
    OA

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Please go ahead if everyone is ready. Mine was shipped on Tues, via media rate which means SLOW!!! I don't want to hold anyone up...so go ahead...

• judithva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kathleen, we have a while still, I think there is still a few folks that don't have their books, as I had mentioned above we might start at the end of the week, so maybe by then your book will be here (fingers crossed) :)