Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christmascandy

Backyard Oasis

christmascandy
13 years ago

This is where I spend my time if I'm not at work or on the golf course. I took an old water pump from my DGF farm and turned it into a fountain. I used a half oak barrel with a 32 gal. black dishpan inside to hold the mini pump and the water.

This bistro set is under one of 2 gazebos I use on my patio in the summer to make a shady retreat.

Looking back at the 2 gazebos from the landscape wall. There is a large black rubber spider on top of one to keep the birds from doing their business on top of the gazebos. LOL.

This is looking out from my sunroom.

I think this duck I am using as a planter, is actually supposed to be a bath wastebasket. I bought him and the little kids rubber boots to use as a whimsical touch.

This is the view of the landscape wall in summer.

And this is the same area on May 12 this year.

I love spending time out there working on the weeds and reading, another one of my favorite pastimes.

Lemonade anyone??

TTFN,

Candy

Comments (14)

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

Candy, your yard is TDF! I absolutely love all the different levels~so many little areas to sit and have a glass of ice tea/lemonade or an early evening glass of wine. How long did it take to complete? Is the wall just stacked and not cemented and the patio pavers set in gravel? I'm in the process of working on my backyard landscaping, and need all the help I can get since i'm doing it on my own. ;o)

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

It is a lovely oasis, Candy. Love the rubber ducky, very cute!

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Boy. Hardly seems like the last two pictures are of the same place. I love a tiered backyard. You've done a beautiful job.

• janet1_2007
    13 years ago

Candy, what a wonderful place to escape. You have a great eye for design. I"ve not gotten to work in my yard as much this summer as I did last, been babysitting my little 9 mo. GS and its hard to get much done with him, I had a large vegie garden, and that took most of my time, maybe next year, I can get back to my flowers. I love the way you have different tiers or levels and I love rock. Good work! Janet

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Oh what a lovely place to escape to!
    You've done a beautiful job on all the landscape design.
    I too love the tiers and so many interesting spots to sit and enjoy. DH has been wanting to make one of those water pump fountains too. I will definitely show him yours..it's just lovely.
    Glad you're enjoying all your hard work...you definitely deserve to.
    When I saw your last picture, I thought of my DB. He lives in Boulder, Co. I don't think I could get used to those long winters. brrrr

jane

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Patty, I think the bricks are just set on sand as weeds grow up through them, but the patios were built when we bought the house, so I don't know for sure. It does have an edge with the bricks on it cemented in place.
    We had the wall built several years ago, and the I believe he used some type of adhesive to hold the landscape bricks in place once he had them situated. The landscaping has evolved since then. The closest beds are a combination of annuals and perennials. The upper ones are mostly shrubs and roses.

Thanks Kathleen and OA, We actually needed to build the wall as the yard all sloped to the house when we first moved in and after a torrential rainfall, the water was all running into the window wells and toward the foundation.

Janet, what a wonderful distraction, and great reason for not spending time in your garden. You can plant veggies next summer and by then he can help Grandma water the garden. My 2 yr. old GS "helps" me water my flowers when he comes over, which is usually at least once a week.

Jane, Most of the time, our winters are fairly mild. I can usually play golf all year long, and it even gets into the high 60's or low 70's sometimes in January.
    When we have snow, it usually melts in a day or two.
    Of course, we have record blizzards also, and those make the news. The May snow was gone within a couple of days.

TTFN,
    Candy

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Lovely, candy...I can see that you stay very busy! Love all the brickwork also...and that you've created some shade where you can sit & enjoy your Oasis...the pump fountain is wonderful. (boo...on the snow pic...don't want to think of that yet!) LOL! TFS! Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Candy, I am going to have to take the 'easy' way out and just say DITTO for now. I do love your yard, and agree with everything that others said.

hugs, Karen

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Ohhhhh, it's lovely, Candy! It truly is an oasis of calm out there! I can't remember if you've mentioned it before, but what part of the country are you in that you can play golf most of the year and still get snow like that? We get that here in New Mexico, which is the reason we're living here . . . DH LOVES golf and has since he was 11 y/o! Anyhoo, I really like your the raised beds and the flower placement. I can definitely see why you're in your garden a lot. BTW, great idea using the giant rubber tarantula to keep the birds away!
    Lynn

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanne, I am still hanging on to summer, but it was 52 this morning and only got up to 71. It is supposed to warm up again for the weekend. Yeah!! Tee times for all 3 days, woohoo.

Thanks Karen, I know you would switch climates with me if possible. Hope you are feeling OK. Did you get your patriotic plates?

Lynn, I am in CO and usually in the winter, I can play golf on a weekend or go to the mtns to ski, although I am a better golfer than skier! Granted the grass is brown and the ground is hard, but hey, I'm still playing golf. The spider does seem to work. If he isn't up there, then the birdies leave lots of spots!!

TTFN,
    Candy

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Trying to catch up with everyone, so my replies will be short.

GORGEOUS YARD, except for the snow pic!!!! I HATE SNOW!!!

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I remembered the snow pic of your yard--it was very pretty, but I prefer the summer one with all your pretty flowers and rock walls! That is so neat that you were able to use your DGF's old pump for your fountain--those pumps are so neat! TFS Luvs

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Candy...I had to laugh at your reply ...
    My parents, who lived there for only 3 years, and my brother who's been living there over 30...all said the same thing about the Winters, and the Snow..
    I guess hearing it from you...I'll accept it as 'fact' !
    The part of Winter I don't think I could take, is it starting in Oct right thru May!
    jane

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Candy, lovely pictures of your yard and patio. So glad I had time to browse tonight and didn't miss this post. Love your pump fountain and the little butterfly is a wonderful addition.

Punk

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks
More Discussions