Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christmascandy

National Sewing Machine Day TS

christmascandy
10 years ago

Sept. 10 was National Sewing Machine Day so I set a table using the first sewing machine I received as a child.

It actually did sew a chain stitch, but wasn't perfect at it. Worked OK for me to make doll clothes.
I also used an old tape measure, pin cushion, child scissors that I used with the sewing machine, and pattern pieces as part of the CP.

I used small spools of thread and ribbon for the napkin rings and placed each one on an old pattern.

The plates, chargers, napkins, and tablecloth are TS treasures.

TTFN,
Candy

Comments (9)

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

Candy, this is totally delightful ! I love all the red and white, such a pretty table. Makes me smile just looking at it.
    I like Happy Tables! :o)

Its pretty neat you still have that little sewing machine too.
    You are just so darn creative coming up with table ideas!
    hugs, Karen

• grandmamary_ga
    10 years ago

Lovely. Brought back many old memories of my first sewing machine. I wonder what happened to it.
    Mary

• grandmamary_ga
    10 years ago

Lovely. Brought back many old memories of my first sewing machine. I wonder what happened to it.
    Mary

• nana2010_gw
    10 years ago

Very cool table, Candy.
    How great that you still have your sewing machine!
    What a clever idea to use the spools for napkin rings.
    The red and white color scheme is perfect.
    This table is well thought out and executed perfectly.
    I love it
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
    Nana

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

Candy, what a sweeeeet table with your little red Sewing Machine. I had one just like that myself. Love your patterns, spools, tape measure, scissors and pin cushion you added on your ts. These are neat additions you've kept. Nice touch to finish off this table.

I think DSis still has mine. I'll have to ask her about this. Not sure why she's the one who ended up with it other than I didn't think I'd ever use it again.LOL Thanks for sharing this perfect table for Nat'l Sewing Machine Day. It should be shared across the web.

Punk

• jeannespines
    10 years ago

Ahhhh.... how did I miss National Sewing Machine Day, Candy? I'm glad you're keeping us all 'sew' up-to-date here on the forum! LOL! (you're a 'stitch,' girl!)

Ok ... really, I love this very creative t'scape! The 'pattern; pkgs under the napkins & the 'spool' ties, & 'lining' the table w/that checkered R/W t'cloth!

I may be a bit 'biased' but I love t'scapes w/memories ... & having your childhood machine still in your possession is like finding a 'needle' in a haystack! & the R/W place settings remind me of a 'quilt!'

When I think of you, candy, I think of 'ruffles' & 'frills' & like every table you share, this one is 'woven' w/love! TFS, candy! ~~Jeanne S.

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karen, Mary, Nana, and Punk, My DM still lives in the house where I grew up. So once I got my own home, many of my childhood toys were "returned" to me, LOL.

Some of the toys are still there as my DD's played with them when they went to Grandma's house and now the great grandkids have been able to enjoy them as well.

Jeanne, you are a "stitch" yourself, using all those sewing terms in your post!! Quite the wordsmith!

I actually was going to do a different table using a music box that looks like an old sewing machine that is covered with little mice, but I couldn't decide on the rest of the table. When I decided to use the little red machine, the table practically set itself!

Thanks again ladies. You all brighten my day!
    Candy

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

by the way, Welcome to grandmamary...hope you enjoy our antics and share in our love of decorating, thrifting, whatever. :o)
    Karen

• plainjane425
    10 years ago

Candy...what an adorable table.
    I can't believe you still have your childhood sewing machine! Such a cute idea for a CP with the Pattern underneaith. You're so creative with the Simplicity Patterns and thread spools at ea place setting - really cute idea. Of course the Red & White theme makes everything
    look so festive as well.
    Love it all!

I too would like to Welcome Grandmamary...hope you enjoy it here and please join in whenever you'd like to share anything...
    jane

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions