Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christmascandy

Tallest Minion on the planet!!

christmascandy
10 years ago

I made a minion costume for my co-workers 5 yr. old son and my youngest DD saw it, and had to have one too!!!

So, here is her Halloween costume, but she is 6'1" tall and will be looking out of the mouth, so by the time she has the costume on, this minion will be almost 7' tall. Yikes!!

She will just wear jeans and some black boots and gloves to complete the costume.

I used foam to make the tube for the body, and bought some TS overalls to cut up for the bottom. Then I used a TS plastic bowl attached to cardboard to make the top of the head. Also, lots and lots of hot glue!!!

And so it starts....
Candy

Comments (20)

• Bingham51
    10 years ago

That's what I want to try to do for my costume this year. I saw where someone use a round plastic trash can for the body, they cut the bottom off. Could you tell me what you use for the yellow material? Looks like you use canning jar lids for the eyes. You did a wonderful job. Post pictures of the people in their costumes.

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

Simply adorable costume for DD! I can see why she needed a Mr Minion after seeing the one you made for your co-workers son. Super work, talented lady. We can always count on you to make something fun to share.Thanks!

BTW, did you see the post here where a lady was wanting to share some of your creations with a friend?
    I'm sure she'd love to hear from you.

Punk

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

B51,
    The yellow is fleece.
    The goggles are a metal pipe clamp cut in half, screwed together, and then the canning jar lids are glued to the clamp circles. The eyeballs are pieces of a styrofoam ball with brown felt circles, smaller black circles, and white accents.

The teeth and tongue are carved out of the Styrofoam using a dremel tool. Then I painted the tongue.

I highly recommend the foam vs. the trash can as the trash can is very rigid, and still needs to be covered with padding.

You can sit down in this costume. You cannot sit down in the trash can.

Also, if you buy the pre-packaged foam at Hobb. Lobb. with a coupon it is probably less expensive than the can.

Don't buy the foam from JoA**'s as theirs is too pricey and thin.

Candy

• party_music50
    10 years ago

Candy, that is FANTASTIC!!!

• jeannespines
    10 years ago

WUNDER=FUL !!! by a Wonderwoman!!!
    Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    10 years ago

What a fun Costume Candy...DD will be a hit for sure!
    You are just toooo creative for words!! LOL
    jane

• janet1_2007
    10 years ago

Such creativity. You are amazing. BTW, I tried to find your post this evening of the jeep you painted a year or so ago to show my son who was going to paint his daughters Barbie Jeep for her little brother, but I couldn't find it before he had to leave. I am just totally in awe of all your imagination and creativity.

• nana2010_gw
    10 years ago

Great job Candy, you are so creative!!
    Nana

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody.
    I took it to my daughter and when she tried it on, she can barely walk through a door without hitting the top of the frame!!!!
    She referred to herself as an oxymoron, a gigantic minion!!

Janet, I will try to find the jeep photos for you and repost them.

TTFN,
    Candy

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

You are so talented. I love seeing your creations. What wonderful memories your children will have, especially of the various holidays.

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

"She referred to herself as an oxymoron, a gigantic minion!!".....that made me giggle.

A 7 ft minion, well that would certainly scare the heck out of me on Halloween. Tho people might just keel over laughing instead. LOL.

I agree with Fun2BHere....you are giving your children and your grandchildren some priceless memories and they are so lucky to have you!!

hugs, Karen

• maximavswife
    10 years ago

Outstanding Candy! So creative and cute. I giggled at the "gigantic minion" too lol!

• oldalgebra
    10 years ago

OMG!!!

• oldalgebra
    10 years ago

Candy, I met someone at the fabric store today. We were sitting at the patterns table, both looking for Halloween costume patterns. I was looking for a flapper dress pattern and she was looking for - what else? - a minion pattern.

She helped me find a little girl dress pattern that I could adapt. Then i used my cell phone to point her to this post. She was most grateful to find your creation.

We both won!

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

What a neat thing for you to be able to help
    her out, OA. Candy, this may be your claim
    to fame!!!Whoot whoot

Punk

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OA, glad you both won!!
    Is Zoe going to be a flapper?

I heard on the news that minions are one of the most popular costumes this year.
    I saw one where they used a yellow rain jacket with the hood up, wore safety goggles, and overalls. Kind of stretching it to really see it as a minion, but general idea I guess.

Glad I could help even if indirectly, LOL

Candy

• oldalgebra
    10 years ago

No, Zoe's other grandma sent her a very cute lion costume.

The flapper costume is for my 11-year old granddaughter. She recently got a hair cut (was long and curly) because she is a swimmer and it was becoming a struggle to keep it untangled and squeezed into the swim cap. The cut was a blunt cut, just below the chin. Her mother remarked that it looked like a flapper.
    That led to an explanation of what a flapper was, and then . . . . . well, you see where it all led.

I remain very impressed with the minion outfit. I am wondering, how do you attach the foam together to make a tube? Is there a special glue?

• kathleen_li
    10 years ago

Candy, that is a fabulous costume!
    OA, i remember making a flapper costume when I was in HS. Yards and yards of long fringe. Probably a fortune now!

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OA, I basted it with upholstery thread. However, I was able to use hot glue to hold the fleece together. The overalls are also hot glued to the fleece.

Kathleen, I am sure that the fringe is extremely expensive now. I'll bet you wish you still had that dress today.

Thanks everyone.
    Candy

• pink_warm_mama_1
    10 years ago

Such talent! Puts me to shame. Pink