Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Costume Creativity! :)

moonwolf_gw
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Well, the first choice for my costume this year will not happen, but, I do have a second backup costume that will be cheaper and much more colorful. I will be going as Cyndi Lauper!!! I'm really excited for this one. I already have some accessories picked out. All I need is the dress, wig, make up (a friend is getting that for me), fishnet stockings, and more accessories (a few more bracelets, a few more necklaces, lace or fishnet gloves, maybe a chain belt, a hat, head scarf, or clip on flowers, and earrings).

What are you or your friends and family going as? Even classic costumes can be dazzled up a little ;).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (12)

• steiconi
    9 years ago

I haven't quite figured out my costume. I want to do something white and sheer and flowing. Perhaps an Edwardian ghost; then I could wear a big hat, too.

My husband--a total weather nut--is going as a cloud. He always goes as a cloud; this is his third cloud costume since I've known him (they tend to dissipate).

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A cloud sounds interesting. I was reading in Ree Drummond's (The Pioneer Woman) latest cookbook that she once went as a cloud and glued cotton balls all over a t-shirt.

My hardest find will be the dress/corset/bustier/main outfit. I'm not the skinniest person in the world lol. Let's hope the local thrift shops/Goodwill yield some good finds. I know I can always find jewelry and accessories there.

Odd that you should say you wanted something white and flowing, because, my first choice this year was a Snow Queen.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• steiconi
    9 years ago

I saw your post about the snow queen. Maybe Cyndi can wear a white bustier, then you can reuse it next year for the snow queen. I know the earlier I start working on a costume, the cheaper it is!

For the cloud costumes, I buy a new bed pillow at Walmart ($5). I toss the new one on the bed and tear apart the old one. The polyfil pulls apart in nicely uneven layers, and I tacky glue them to an old teeshirt.

Long yarn fringe is rain, and a baseball cap covered with more polyfil has a gold lame lightning bolt through it.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will have to keep an eye open for a white bustier. My friend that was going to help me with the Snow Queen costume was going to make a faux corset to help give me a "figure". Maybe if I got a camisole, she could do the same? I'm also hoping to find a crinoline skirt/dress that'll fit me, too.

I love your idea for the cloud costume! I have a Halloween book from when I was younger that gives recipes, stories, tips, and costume ideas. One was for a lightning strike victim. Singed clothes and some black makeup for the burn/strike marks.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone live near a Party City? I saw these earrings on their website and I thought they would go well with my costume.

I'm also still hunting for chain/studded belts.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Here is a link that might be useful: Star Earrings

• annac54
    9 years ago

I got a white T-shirt and put black spots all over it so my German Shepherd can dress up as a Dalmatian :) She helps me pass out candy on Halloween.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome idea, Anna!

Last night, I bought a red petticoat Wal-Mart has for sale (they also have black) for my costume. It is sheer, however, and the skirts I bought/found are a little long and not flared/"poofy" enough to go over it. Is there any way to remedy this? I have a short black skirt that I can roll up/shorten to the appropriate length along with a peach floral one.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's my costume!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• nana2010_gw
    9 years ago

COOL

• blizlady
    9 years ago

Moonwolf, I LOVE your costume!!

• steiconi
    9 years ago

Moonwolf, you look fabulous! Cindy would think she's looking in a mirror!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, everyone!

Here's more!

With our one dear friend Jeanne Allen (who just LOVED my costume! She's an accomplished actress and has been a friend of the theatre's for many years). You can also see the eyeshadow (YouTube tutorial) I applied.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
More Discussions