Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Happy Birthday, Johnny Appleseed

oldalgebra
13 years ago

My first grade grandson is learning about Johnny Appleseed this week and told me yesterday

that his teacher used math to figure out how old Johnny would be if he were still alive.

"Imagine that!" I said. "Math CAN be useful."

(Though I've never met her, I'm now a big supporter.)

At any rate, here's the table.

I went to dinner at a friend's recently and loved her mattress ticking tablecloth, so had to run to

JoAnne's and get me some material for our mini table. My friend used black placemats on her

outdoor tablescape that evening and it was very striking.

Now that I'm looking at the picture, I'm thinking I should have done that.

I'm also thinking I should have smoothed the tablecloth out a bit better too!

I got a couple of those little ramekins last year. Wish I'd have gotten four.

I see that Pottery Barn is now calling them dipping bowls. Or does that just mean they're not oven proof?

Only use these salad plates a couple of times a year, but I'm crazy about them.

They're from the 70s. Remember when everything had a big botanical print on it - mostly sunflowers,

but lots of fruit prints too?

And finally, the center/side piece. Candles (which I've had for, oh I don't know, maybe 6 or 7 years)

are elevated on upside down wine goblets.

Now here's just one of the reasons it can be fun trying to make due with what you have.

We have a big family bible, but it's much too big for the centerpiece. So I grabbed an old paperback

that looked to be about the right size, spayed it black and pasted a title on it.

During the spraying process, I noticed its original title. --------------> Lolita.

Oh, the Lord is good to me . . . .

Comments (6)

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

ROFLMBO at your book redo!! You are too much, Girl.

Johnny would love to sit at your "purdy" table. And for him, I think the red chargers are perfect! (he'd probably enjoy the book too. LOL)

hugs,
    Karen

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

OA...the ticking is perfect for this Johnny t'scape! And the burlap-looking bag with the apples, Fall leaves & Bible (dare I call it that!) sure smacks of his history. I'm going to try to remember your candle idea where you turn the wine glasses upside down & use those apples...love it!

Cute, cute dishes ...especially those salad plates & ramekins! Really like how you decorate that wonderful table for two! Sweet! TFS! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Here's to Johnny Appleseed and to another very creative Table...
    Love the blasphemous 'Faux Bible' !!
    Too funny..
    Such a cute table and I DO remember large flowered and fruit patterns like that. The ticking (one of my favorites) looks so good with your plates and checkered napkins. Love how you put your centerpiece together with the burlap - apples and leaves...nice touch...
    Also those 'old candles' look pretty good too!!
    I think you've done Johnny - Proud!!

jane

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

OA, just love seeing your tables and once again I'm laughing so hard with your Bible remake. I reallly like the salad apple plates and your ramekins. My guess is the ramekins are for baking and the dipping bowls may not with stand the heat. Cute red pot on your table. Love the apple candles on your upside down glasses.

I'm glad your going to suppost DGS teacher after DGS story. So..... how old is JAS?LOL

Punk

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Johnny would have turned 236 years old on the 26 of this month.

Now, if you're in first grade, all you really need to know is that he was alive when George Washington was president.

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

You are certainly a "creative" lady! I love your apple plates, really neat pattern. Gosh, you had lots of neat red things for this table, love that big red pot, pretty red handles flatware, and the ticking tablecover. Great way to display those apple candles too. How great that you had that burlap bag, it looks so cool with the apples and leaves tucked inside. Another fun table idea! P.S. your "creative gene" really kicked in on fixing up the book--we'd have never even known if you hadn't told us! LOL

Luvs

Sponsored
More Discussions