Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Forget it!

oldalgebra
13 years ago

I'm dumping the chickens completely.

Here's a bit of subway art. It needs something else, I think, but what?

I had it printed at Kinko's. It has the names of places from our hometown: the church where we were married, our high school, the streets on which we grew up, the places where my mother taught and his father argued court cases, the place where I learned to swim, the jewelry store where he purchased my engagement ring and I registered for our china, etc. I'm NOT taking this down, so you gals have to some up with something to accompany it.

Comments (27)

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Something along these lines maybe?

• jaybird
    13 years ago

The sign is a GREAT idea!!! I think it looks pretty just with the flowers, but we all know that I am not too inventive!
    I do love the sign though!!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I liked the chickens, but this sign is great. And perfect for that spot. I like the idea of floral up there, but not sure about the yellow by itself. And I still like the idea of something made of wire or black metal up there.

hugs from Karen who's tried to keep quiet.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karen, I think you may be right about using something made of wire. (At least I hope so, as I love things made out of wire.)

• edie3
    13 years ago

Oh, how I love this! Can you share how you did it? It is something my DH would love!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

OA, that sign is sort of 'big and masculine' as a statement and the white vase with yellow flowers has a delicate feminine look to me. That's why I'd like to see
    a big wire thing up there, tho also something floral but not as dainty looking.

The others can probably advise you much better, which is why I was trying to be quiet. LOL. But I can't help myself apparently.

hugs, Karen
    "people who don't know me think I'm quiet,
    people who know me wish I was"

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Love the Sign...the size is just right for up there...
    Makes a nice statment too... If you like something made of wire...you could use a Black Wire Basket with Ivy inside..
    sort of trailing slightly over your cabinet...Or A large
    Black Wire Bird Cage..with greenery inside...JMO

Funny DH made a Sign like that (not as large) that has all the streets where we lived..growing up and when we were married.
    Everyone always remarks about it... I love yours, the size of it...and where you placed it.

jane

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

OA...Look what I found !!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

I found a couple more...
    I don't know how to post more than one at a time..
    so forgive all the different posts..

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Here's another...
    I found them on Amazon.com - under 'Painted Wire & Tin'
    Rooster Basket...

jane

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

OA...I love this subway art (never heard of that term)...it looks great up there & will bring a smile whenever you look at it. I'm voting for the wire basket, too...love those rooster ones that Jane found above.

I think it was you who said you like to add a bit of yellow to most decor things in your home...so those rooster pics (with the yellow bkgrd) looked like you...hope you find another place for them...love 'em! Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jane, I love all three, but I have no clue as to where you found them. Can you point me in the right direction?
    Thanks.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

OA..I'm sorry...
    I posted that I found them on Amazon.com
    I typed in 'Painted Metal Trays' ...scroll down
    and you will see them..
    I don't know how to bring up that site to you..
    If you have a problem finding them, I can email the site to you.

jane

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DUH! And how many times over my 38 year career did I say, "Boys and Girls, please read ALL the directions before you ask for help"?
    Sorry.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Yippie!!
    I did it... Go Below

Here is a link that might be useful: Wire Rooster Bskt

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

OA, I think this is more than my little brain can handle tonight.haha I figured all you creative ladies had taken care of this today while I was at work.

Love your sign. I don't know that it really needs anything up there with it. Careful, you may end up with another whole new setting!!!

I would like to see the chicken pictures with your pitcher and flowers on a table. I was going through some painting books last night and seen some chickens that would go well with yours. I know you don't need any more chickens, you need something to go with them.LOL

You know I will be checking back to see the final results this week. You ladies will stay busy on this with all the wire items available. Wish I could help some way but dishes are calling...

Later, Punk

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

OA, I love your subway art and it has such special meaning. That is the perfect place for it. I like the pitcher and flowers--only would want more flowers or some greenery to fill it out more. Love the idea of a large wire "something" as well. But don't go by anything I say, I'm not good at this stuff!

I think I might try to make a smaller version of subway art for DH as a gift. I like your idea of doing it with names that have "sentimental" history for the person. What did you have your's printed on? And what did you mount it on? Did you just type it all up and then go get it enlarged and printed? I know nothing about having things done like that! See how creative you are? ;o)

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I confess...I never heard of Subway Art before. But its really neat. While browsing blogs, I found a Fall decoration in that idea. Check it out!

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: subway art pumpkin

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karen,
    Here's a couple you might want to pick up for your entryway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Subway Art

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

LOL, oh yeah...at $795 each, I'll take a couple. LOL.
    Bet you'd sell YOURS for less than that.

hugs, Karen

• party_music50
    13 years ago

wow, OA, that is really cool!!! It looks like you have very tall ceilings too, right?

I have no idea why, but I picture it with a galvanized metal watering can. lol!

I'd decorate with items that are from or related to the places listed, including going so far as tacking theater ticket stubs to the wall. :)

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

OA, I think the one you made looks lots better than those on the link! And I love that each place has a special memory attached.

Karen, is it okay if I say the subway art on the pumpkin didn't impress me too much? Just too busy for me--but I really like the pumpkins with just a few words on them like welcome, boo, give thanks, etc.

Jeanne, be sure you look at that blog Karen shared and click on "older post". She did a swag of leaves with old pictures attached--it looks great and I immediately thought of you and your collection of old pics. ;o)

Luvs

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I personally like the simplicity of the jug of yellow flowers next to the sign.

But I'd REALLY like to see the rest of your kitchen to give you more ideas & for my own eye candy. lol. Even if I don't see it, I still like the flowers.

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

OA, I love the sign I think it looks nice alone or with something like a basket with it I guess I'm not much help NanaKaren

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

On the contrary, Nana. The more eyes on this the better. Sometimes I look at something and try TOO HARD to fix it. Then I know it's time to get the opinions of others. I need a new set of eyes.

In my original post, the first reply (I think it was Lynninmexico) said it was too indistinct, too busy. In fact, just about everybody agreed. So I'm looking for a wire basket now. Just a matter of finding the right one and not trying to fill it with everything but the kitchen sink.

Again, thanks for chiming in.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

On the contrary, Nana. The more eyes on this the better. Sometimes I look at something and try TOO HARD to fix it. Then I know it's time to get the opinions of others. I need a new set of eyes.

In my original post, the first reply (I think it was Lynninmexico) said it was too indistinct, too busy. In fact, just about everybody agreed. So I'm looking for a wire basket now. Just a matter of finding the right one and not trying to fill it with everything but the kitchen sink.

Again, thanks for chiming in.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

I LOVE your new personal subway sign, OA . . . what a great idea! I did like the chickens, too, but this new piece of art is extra special in a very personal way. As much as I really like the looks of those wire chickens, though, I like the simplicity of the white pitcher holding a graceful spray of yellow flowers better. To my eye, that pop of yellow helps draw your eye up, but doesn't detract or compete with the (busy, in a good way) sign. I also like the juxtaposition of the two: the delicate yellow flowers next to the bold print . . . kind of like the wild flowers that grow up next to a roadside sign. Anyhoo, just one more opinion to add to the mix ;^D

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions