Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judithva_gw

Fall and Xmas ideas

judithva
17 years ago

This is from last year, it is a set of stacking cake plates that I add things like, "jeweled" pumkins, christmas balls that have Fall colors, glass "gem" stones in Fall colors, silk fall leaves, fairy in fall colors, grapes, acorns etc.

Basicly anything with fall colors and theme will work.

.com/" target="_blank">

close-up

sorry this is a bit blurry

Here are my christmas stacking plates from last year, you can see the Fall stacking plates next to the Creme stacking plates, I was just putting the Fall ones away, since it was time for the Christmas look.

{{gwi:1434720}}

closeup

Hope this give someone some new ideas.

Comments (95)

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Luvstocraft, thanks for the complements.
    Sometimes I "enhance" the ornaments I buy, with either more glitter, or add ribbons or small silk flowers. But I do look "far and wide" for ornaments in my area. I do try to find different looking ones, but I also use the very simple and basic plain colored balls you can get in any store (read inexpensive here LOL). The plain balls are what I fill 3/4th of the inner tree with in order to give it a layered 3-D look. The outer branches receive the fancier ornaments. I tend to like a very full ornamented tree, I realize that look is not for everyone but I enjoy it.

As for the pointed tree toppers, the Walmart in my area has a few, one very pretty plain heavy silver glass one (which I may still buy for something else), they also had 2 that were more whimiscal (santa and a snowman) but you are right, I haven't seen as much as those type of toppers this year in the "regular" stores. But I have seen them in the more botique type of stores.

Your idea for the cake plates will work great, in fact I am sure more interesting being the layers of glass are slightly different. But belevie me, once they are full, you hardly see the glass piers LOL.

I love crystalized fruits, they are so elegant, your piered dishes are going to look beautiful, I am looking forward to your beautiful pictures!!

PS. I will try to post my finished trees on Monday.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith,

Your tree is looking gorgeous already. Can't wait to see the finished pics. Are you doing your stacking plates in red also?

Sandi

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Judith,you know that I was so inspired by your stacked plate stands that I just had to try to make one too. Here are a couple of pics of mine--not nearly as gorgeous as yours Remember this is my first attempt, so be kind--but do give suggestions for what else I should add or subtract. I put it on my cupboard, and I did add some lights since I'm using it as part of my holiday decorations. Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

SandiW,
    thank you for the complements, I had hoped to post a finished pic today, but my daughter called me on Sunday to go shopping, we were gone all day and late into the evening, so I did not get as much done as I hoped, so I will be still putting on those crystals and icicles tonight!
    Yes, I will be doing my stacked plates in red too (but haven't even started on them yet, I am so behind this year)!

Here is a close up of the tree with some of the crystals and icicles, it is blurry because I did not use a tripod this morning. I had taken this just to "study it".

Tip: I often take a lot of pic's just to get an "objective" opinion for myself to "see" my concept better, a photo allows me to "step away" from the actual decorating and help me "see" what more I can do to improve it.

{{gwi:1434782}}

Luvstocraft,
    Oh, your stacking plates came out great, I don't think I'd change a thing, they have a very natural, but still elegant look, I think you did wonderful! You should be very pleased. I love the plaid in the cloth, I am a big fan of plaid in Xmas decorating. Last year I did my bedroom with plaid accents with red, very homey and welcoming. I'd love to see the rest of your decorating.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Luvstocraft, I love your stacking plates. I am SO jealous! I just have to get some.

Judithva, Can't wait for more pics!

Sandi

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Ahhh! Your tree is looking so beautiful. You really have a knack for decorating and doing beautiful tablescapes. So glad you are sharing your pics with us.

I like to use poinsettias in my Christmas decorating too. My decorating is not very impressive--but I will share my snowman collection. I usually have angel hair under them for the look of snow but didn't feel it was safe to use it this year because I have a little 2yr old GD.

I don't have alot of display area in this house, so I also do my Santas this way above the television on the entertainment unit in the family room. Everybody seems to think they have more impact grouped together.

I'll be checking back for more pictures of your tree--it is looking really beautiful.

Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

luvstocraft,

I love your snowmen! You've done a great job displaying them. I bet your granddaughter really likes them also.

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

luvstocraft, your snow men are great, I had posted that in your thread, but I wanted to make sure you see this here too. Gosh, with a 2 yr old GD, the red gem stones idea of mine would not work, I can just see her thinking it was candy!!! The display is really pretty reguardless. I wish I had more room in my home to display things, I have large collections but have to rotate them each year cause I just don't have enough room. I sure wish I had a fireplace like yours too.

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok, pretty much done with the tree, still have a bit of tweeking, but here is what it looked at 10:30 pm, I was tired and went to bed (my normal asleep time is 9:30pm, sad isn't it?) LOL

Here's a few shots, I had a lot of trouble with the lighting so please excuse the not-so-good shots.

A few close-ups:

a href="http://photobucket.com/"; target="_blank">

a href="http://photobucket.com/"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1434782}}

Here is my Candy Land landscape (which still needs some tweeking too), inspired by another poster named Cattknap she has a beautiful Candy tree set up.

A shot with flash, I hate using a flash, but it shows more detail for those who need it.

{{gwi:1434805}}

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith,

Your red tree is absolutely gorgeous! You have some very beautiful ornaments. I would love to know where you got your red and gold tassels please.

And your Candy Land is great also. Some really cute ideas there. Thanks for posting the pics.

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sandi w, thank you for the complements, I do appreciate it.
    I had bought the tassels from the Christmas section in Walmart a few years ago, but you can get that same "type" of thing in the notions dept in the sewing section at most Walmarts, however, they are more expensive in that department. You don't need too many though, I only have about 8 on my tree, just enough for an "accent".

Candy land was inspired by a lady named Cattknap that posts on GW, she did a really pretty Candy land tree that she posted last year.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith,

Thank you for telling me about the tassels. No such luck this year finding them. My big tree is done in pink, gold and ivory and there's been no pink at all around here this year. I may have to order online for next year and try making my own tassels.

Have you done your cake plates yet? Would love to see those pics also. You have such wonderful taste.

Sandi

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sandi, you are so sweet, and apparently a kindred spirit - I am doing my pink, gold and ivory tree in my bedroom (this weekend I hope) I posted last yrs pic of my pink and gold tree in the decorating section of GW a month or so ago, did you see those?

If not here's a quicky from 2005

{{gwi:1434806}}

I ment to do my stacking plates last night, but my DD called me to help with her tree...so I did not get to do anything in my house last night....Sigh...

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith,

I never tired of looking at your decorating pics. Your pink tree is decorated much more than mine. I ran out of pink and money, but I keep adding every year except this year. Just couldn't find what I wanted in pink.

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sandi, This year I found a few plain balls at Garden Ridge (first time I have been there), Michaels Arts and Crafts has some plain and some that are "glittery" for the lack of a better word. But, yes pink is hard to find/or the style one wants......
    The light pink color is especially hard to find, Pier 1 has hot pink if you are into the brighter color (but they are expensive...)

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith, I didn't think to look at Michaels and we have one here (Wilmington, NC). I'll head there this weekend. I use light pink. I saw the hot pink from Pier 1, but not my style. Thanks for the tips.

Sandi

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith,

Forgot to tell you, I went to T J Maxx looking for fairies like you have on your cake plate. I desperately wanted some in clear and some in light pink. They didn't have any at all. But, they had some gnome looking fairies dressed in velvets and lame in mostly deep cranberry and lime green so, of course, they came home with me which led to other trips to find what I needed to make a Christmas arrangement to sit on my bar. I'll post pics when it's together. So, even though I didn't get the fairies I wanted, thank you for sending me to TJs. :>)

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sandi, sorry you did not find the clear or pink fairies. It is real hard to find a lot of Christmas stuff later in the season, I start haunting TJ and those places early!!! Those who snooze...., I know a lot of people hate to shop christmas earily, but I find if I wait then I just kick my self cause most of the goodies are gone, this year is an excellent example, things went extremely fast in my area. Plus, some of the stores don't get the same merchandise...

Oh, I love the fairy/gnomes, I have quite a few of them too they are a lot of fun to decorate with too. They look cute hanging off cake plates, placed on small xmas trees, sitting on the edge of large bowls filled with christmas balls and other goodies, sticking out of christmas stockings, even attached to christmas presents, attach them to large candle sticks, put them in baskets, have them "riding" reindeer, polar bears, black bears etc, they are very versatile.

I will try to photograph the ornaments I got at Michaels tonite (they are not on the tree yet, still in the shopping bags) so you will have an idea of what I am talking about.

I am looking forward to your picture.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith, I would love to see your Michael's ornaments. I would love to add more pink and especially more glittery pink. I usually start shopping for Christmas really early, but didn't get to this year (we've been trying to get our bigger pond finished and it still isn't). I'll never wait this late again though. You're right, the best are usually already gone. TJ's only had 4 of the gnomes and they were all different so I got all of them.

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sandi, OK, I'll snap some tonight.

You can really do some cute stuff with the gnomes, I am glad you lucked out!

Gosh, don't even start on the pond....mine is sitting outside still half full of muddy water, I would so love for a Santa to drop out of the sky and finish mine, that would be the BEST gift. LOL

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Wow Ladies - I am soooooo impressed with all the lovely holiday decorations. Absolutely gorgeous trees and decorations.

Luvs, don't you even come close to saying your's are not impressive. I decorate with snowmen and all that you have tops mine. I pick up a few here and there during the year to add, I love your fireplace scene, wish I had one.

Sal

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Thanks for the kind words Sal, everything for me is always a learning experience. I know I will be on the lookout now for more items--so we'll have to see what I can do next year.

Judith, I haven't taken a pic yet, but I had so much fun with the stacking plate that I took a set of three red, green and white nesting bowls and make a small arrangement in them for my kitchen counter. I'll take a pic to show you. See what you have started! LOL

Both of your trees are just gorgeous. So BEAUTIFUL--I agree with Sandi, I never get tired of looking at them. And your candyland creations--just amazing. Wouldn't be good for my diet, I'm afraid. Ha ha

Please keep sharing your beautiful creations with us.

Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

luvstocraft, yes definatley post a picture of your nesting bowls!

Sandi, here is the photo of the pink orni that I bought at Michaels (they were on sale last week for 50% off, hopefully they will be when you go). They also have that opalesent (spelling?) color glitter in them, which is very pretty.
    They also look prettier, than in this shot, the flash does "things" to ornis.....

{{gwi:1434807}}

{{gwi:1434808}}

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

WOW! I am going to Michael's for sure. They are gorgeous. I love them. Thanks for posting the pics. Sandi

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sandi, you're welcome, make sure you post a pic of your pink tree, I hardly ever get to see any pic of pink decorated trees....

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

All I can say is WOW! Judith, you are an amazing decorator with a great eye for color and detail. I love color but my favorite is pink. My DIL is doing her tree in shades of pink and gold this year. She fills in with very pretty poinsettias - the ones that have sheer sparkly petals. It is beautiful. Normally, we have an open house the week before Christmas but decided to forego it this year so I am not putting out all of the decorations. I am still doing my color theme in each room but just toning down a bit. I think the stacking cake plates would look great on my buffet next year though so I had better start looking for ornaments.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

This small set of nesting bowls was a gift from my DIL. Very small, more like candy bowls than mixing bowls. They looked so Christmasy that I decided to stack them and put some greenery in them for a festive accessory on the kitchen counter. I used small juice glasses to elevate them, but think candleholders would work better and leave more room for the greenery. I'll experiment more with them for next year. The gold came out really bright in these pics because of the flash. Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Luvs,

Your nesting bowls look so Christmasy! Just perfect for stacking like you did. Great idea. Sandi

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs,
    the bowls look so festive, you are right they are the perfect Christmasy look, your DIL did a good job in picking them out. I love the birds perched in the design, I use alot of birds in my stuff too, they give just that right touch of "life" and warmth to an arrangement. This is a really cool arrangement!

That is a great idea that you have from getting them to stack, I will have to remember that.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Got a Joanne's add in the mail yesterday. The ad had holiday pics from 19 cents to $1.19 each and all the trim a tree items are 50% off. Want to get over there tomorrow to see what I can find--have to work today! You gals have me wanting to look for more ornaments and things! Not sure that is a good thing--need to be shopping for gifts instead! Maybe I'll do some of each. ;o)

Judith, Those pink ornaments are fabulous! What a good find. I too love pink, but have no place to use it--so now I can just enjoy looking at your tree when I need a pink "fix". Ha ha

Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith, I posted some pics of my pink tree on the Holiday forum titled "Christmas in my Living Room"

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Stopped at a drugstore today, and went down the onament isle. Wasn't too impressed except for one gold/copper glitter ornament perfect for the fall stacked plates--so I had to buy it and put it away for next year.

Judith, can't wait to see more of your tablescapes and decorations. Please don't forget to share your pics with us.

Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Uh-oh Luvs, you've got "IT". I don't even have my stacking plates yet and I'm already planning. Sandi

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Ha ha You are right Sandi--sometimes I get so "hooked" on new project ideas! Glad to know I'm not the only one! Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sandi, I left you a message on your Post.

luvs, good find, I do the same thing, you never know what you will find (or where) LOL, we are all Ornament Detectives, just call us the "OD's" LOL

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

I almost never go to the after Christmas sales, but this year I can't wait. Feel like I am on a "mission" to find beautiful ornaments at an inexpensive price. Move over James Bond. LOL

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

luvs,
    That is how I get alot of the "more expensive" ornaments, I am first in line right after Xmas to purchase the discounted ornaments. With my "appetite" for ornaments this is the only way I can afford to get so much.

I have worked for years trying to build up my "multi-color" tree, I have a ways to go, but one day I will have enough to please me and then I can do my "traditional" tree. If it wasn't for the sales, there would be no way I could do this. Ya, just got to have patience. (and the excitment of the "hunt" )LOL

I remember one year, where I didn't buy a single ornament(of any color), I just did not find anything I loved, that was a very sad year for me LOL.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

I started my pink, gold and ivory tree 4 years ago and am still adding. I just bought 32 more pink ornaments and 31 more icicles and crystals and I still see places on the tree that need more. DH thought I had enough on the tree the 1st year, but as I add more he agrees with me. I didn't buy any ornaments for the pink tree last year because I couldn't find any I liked. You're lucky Judith if you find any you like on sale after Christmas. The ones I want are usually gone before they even go on sale.

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sandi, Wow, you got a bunch! That is cool your DH appreciates your tree. (I know I do) LOL
    I am hoping that I can get more pink after xmas at Michaels, but I doubt it, I'm sure they will go fast. I went to Garden Ridge Sunday with DD, and all the plain pink balls were gone! Glad I had picked up some boxes before. I think we will be seeing more pink the next yr in the stores. Many, many yrs ago, pink was all the rage here, then it went out quite a bit, but now it seems to be coming back, you know how trends are......, but I will always love pink. I left you a message on the decorating forum where you left me a comment (just didn't want you to think I was ignoring your question about the pink tree) LOL

Don't you just love the icicles, I have a real weakness for them, of course they are all sold out from Kmart here....Plus they go with ANYTHING YEAH!!!!!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Judith, I love the long, crinkly looking icicles on your red tree. They really look pretty in your finished photo. Any suggestions on where to look for some like that?

I found the short fat glass ones at Dollar Tree this year and was so excited! They had some long plastic ones that were flat--wasn't sure those would look as pretty as glass round ones, so didn't get any of them.

I'm starting to run out of energy, time to just finish up and be happy with what I've got I think--can always add more next year, right? Ha ha

Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

luvs, I had bought some of my glass icicles from Dillards. I also bought glass icicles from Kmart (martha stewart) last year and this year, 6 to a package- they went fast here! I know what you mean about the energy thing.

Here are a few tablesetting pic in case you did not see the posting on the decorating forums. I change this out alot cause I have a bunch of dishes that I like using at christmas time.

{{gwi:1434810}}

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

Judith, you have a very pretty home. I love the silver chargers and the dinner forks. You will have to keep posting more pictures - but you may have to start a new post since we have about 84 hits on this one - LOL, just shows you how impressed we all are.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Your glass table is just perfect to reflect all the crystal and candlelight. Do I see one of the roses you had searched for in the centerpiece? Picture with the tree in the background just looks beautiful. How about a new post of "holiday table settings" since this one has gotten so long? You can show us your pretty china. Do you mix silver and gold in your decorating scheme--or just select one or the other each year? Just wondering, because I love both--especially in sparkly ornaments, but have never seen them used together. Would be interested in your opinion. Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Paintingfool, thank you OK, I will start another post (I just did not want to be a "post hog" LOL )

luvstocraft, thank you, yep those are some of the roses I bought from Walmart, I bought all they had, they were prettier flowers than usual IMHO, you have to really look thru their stuff, but sometimes they have gems.

"Do I mix silver and gold", wellllll, not to much in the tree (so far). Usually in my trees there is always a plain "base color ball", a gold ball, or a silver ball, then a solid color ball that is in my color theme for the tree, ex: red ball, or cream ball or pink ball, then I fill in with the more fancy ornaments. And crystal or clear glass ornaments always go with almost anything. Now, if a person is doing a "traditional tree" with all the mixed colors of the rainbow, then I would think mixing golds and silver is perfectly suitable. IMHO

Please understand these are MY choices, and in no way am I setting rules, I would not want to offend anyone with their style choices, after all a person should decorate their home and tree in any way that makes them happy. Many would say my style is way overdone, but overdone makes me happy.... but, I will say, I do love elegant simplicity, I start out that way, but end up with way more LOL My DD decorates her tree much like me, but uses fewer ornaments.

As far as tablesetting goes you can see there is the gold and silver in the silverware. I also have the gold band rim in my crystal stemware, which I paired with the silver chargers, so I do mix that to some extent in my dinner table.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Thanks for sharing your opinion on the colors. Since I like both, I find it hard to concentrate on one or the other--then end up buying decorations in both! I do think certain colors go better together ie: red & gold instead of red & silver. But blue & silver look wonderful together. As you said, just a matter of preference.

Now that you've introduced us to the stacked plate concept--I am thinking that I might want to pack some of the gold and crystal ornaments away separately from my Christmas ornaments. That way I could easily pull them out to add to plates for other holidays. I'm thinking that a Valentine's plate or a 4th of July plate would be really pretty.

Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep, I agee, blue and silver is stunning, you have no idea how much I hold myself back from buying blue and silver! I just have no more rooooooooommmmmm!

I seperate my stacked plate stuff too, although this year I changed some of the ornis out when it came to the red stuff, but it is so much easier to have everything together.
    Yes, the plates work out great for all kinds of occasions, I am looking forward to seeing more of yours :)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Judith, I am currently working a couple days a week in a little downtown area in an antiques and collectibles store. The owner has a real "flair" for displaying items. She has lots of silk flowers in vases and laying on shelves. You would just love the HUGE velvet roses she has in one vase. I went back to work after seeing your tablesetting, saw the roses and thought--stacked plates! Ha ha The store is going to be closing and everything is going to a warehouse. I might ask her if she wants to sell any of the roses. Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

luvs, that is cool, you should definately get some, I use roses all thru the year (even Christmas as you know), they are just such a perfect flower, they would look great with your stacked plates, and definately for Valentines day.

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Judith, you are amazing!!! Such wonderful eyecandy~why didn't I find this BEFORE Christmas?!LOL
    Your 'detailed visuals' are wonderful and make it all look so easy. I love the idea of the various themes and seasons! I know *I* have tons of stuff to work with, but I can only imagine what *you* must have!LOL Do you go to Big Lots? I try to go early in the season for the best selection, and then after to see if there are any 'leftovers' that might come in handy~at 75% off I usually find a few things!LOL

Have you thought of getting involved with extension classes, usually offered thru the local junior college? It's usually a set fee, and probably a small amount going to the school. It could be a holiday class going from fall thru Christmas~just a thought.

Again, you are a creative genius!

patty_cakes

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

patty cakes, thank you, you are very kind, I'm learning as I go along myself. I just set the table and play with it.

You can do it too, you just need to use those "goodies" that you have at home to incorporate a table theme that is special to you.

A basic set of white or cream dishes is a good start, then you can add different bread or salad dishes to enliven it up. I really do use my white and/or cream dishes alot with other styles. This makes a good beginning to start with, and is affordable to most people, after all, we all need to eat off something.

Yes, I go to Big Lots, last year I got some really good stuff, but this year, in my area the Big Lots was a bit "lacking". I basically hit probably just about all the stores, even the Pharmacy "types", often there are some interesting goodies there.

Well, I haven't thought about doing classes, I don't really have any credentials, but it would be fun I think.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia
More Discussions