Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

You Probably Already Know This, But . . .

oldalgebra
13 years ago

I just learned it.

Since I'm starting to teach my grandchildren how to set a table, I was glad to have come across this little memory device. I thought some of you might be interested in using it with your own little sweeties.

I came across this on an internet page where people wrote about something they were doing wrong all their lives. The last sentence will make you remember what it was like to be very young and "out to dinner" with the grown-ups.

"I learned less than a year ago how to figure out which glass is mine when sitting with a big group at a round table: curl your middle, ring, and pinky fingers on each hand down to touch your thumb while leaving your pointer finger straight up. One hand will be it the shape of a lower-case b, and that is the side with your bread plate; the other hand will be in the shape of a lower-case d, and that is the side with your drink.

Before, I had to wait until someone sitting next to me claimed a glass and bread plate before I could start enjoying anything, and half the time they were wrong anyway. Making letters in my lap is a much, much better way to do it."

Comments (15)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Great memory trick! Good for kids & we older kids! I think I've got that one locked in now, too! Thanks, OA! Jeanne S.

• luckygal
    13 years ago

That is just brilliant OA! Definitely something I'll show my Grands.

• trudymom
    13 years ago

I don't have any grandkids yet, but it's a great trick for me.

Thanks!

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

OA,
    great mnemonic device.
    Of course, being the Type AA person that I am I did it wrong first and had my palms facing down, so it was backward! : (
    So, I would just add "have your palms facing you." Then it works perfectly.

TFS,
    Candy

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

And then there's BIN for "blade in" for the knife. I taught my gdau that one.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

You want ME to remember WHAT????????????

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

OA...great lesson...here's another..

One of the lessons we taught the kids
    in our Montessori Program, was how to set a table -
    (part of being self-reliant)

Fork, Spoon & Knife

FORK has four letters, so does LEFT;
    SPOON & KNIFE have five letters, so does RIGHT.

Fork left, spoon and knife right.
    This was one of the daily activities (they could choose) in the classroom that
    they loved taking turns at... also napkin folding.

jane

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the additional lessons, Kathleen and Jane.

You know, Jane, now that you mention it, setting the table is one of the jobs my grandchildren don't ever seem to mind doing - at least not yet!

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

LOL,when my 2 and half yo gson gets hungry he puts the mats out on the table and says time to eat! :)
    The older one runs for the napkin rings, she likes picking out which ones we will use.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Great thread. I taught DD at an early age, however, my young neice and nephew need ALOT of help.

I bought them "The Golden Rules of Etiquette at The Plaza", gave it as a little gift at holiday time a few years ago. Great reference book for kids, easy, fun, not at all difficult. Well it seems to me that the book probably found its way to the circular file, as I've seen no improvement, but hey, I did give it a shot. Also, it was not their gift, per se, only a little something extra to go along with the main gift. I thought their DM might read it with/to them? Apparently that has not happened. LOL

I am definitely going to go over your little memory device with them next time I see them. Hopefully, using their own hands will be of great assistance. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for sharing!

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

One of the most popular activities I find that kids love, both in school and at home, is helping prepare the food, setting the table and also clearing the table - (quick cleanup means 'dessert')!! Also, serving, even if it's just on a small level such as - (juice/snacks/etc)..
    They really enjoy a proud sense of accomplishment.

jane

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

One of the most popular activities I find that kids love, both in school and at home, is helping prepare the food, setting the table and also clearing the table - (quick cleanup means 'dessert')!! Also, serving, even if it's just on a small level such as - (juice/snacks/etc)..
    They really enjoy a proud sense of accomplishment.

jane

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

This will be fun to share with DGD when she comes down next time. Had training today and got to spend a few hours with her afterwards. She is so fun and makes me laugh so stinkin' hard every time I see her.

Punk

• jaybird
    13 years ago

hmmmmm I think I am looking at something whacko...
    my left hand makes a d and my right hand makes a b...
    BUT the glasses actually belong on the right and the B&B plate belongs on the left.....
    help...what am I doing wrong????
    thanks!

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

What a good idea. I'm going to remember that one as I'm hoping for grandbabies . . . someday! I printed out a made-for-kids picture for my own when they were small. It showed graphically and simply where everything went. I like your idea because it's PORTABLE ;^D
    Lynn

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer
More Discussions