Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

OT I made myself sad on Craigslist

Purplemoon
12 years ago

I was browsing Collectibles on Craigslist last night when I couldn't sleep and discovered this....and fell madly in love with her...

{{gwi:1434284}}

She and the high chair are $30. BUT she's across town from me, about 45 min. and I can't drive that distance any more with my rgt leg so bad. And there is NO one I can ask to take me. Plus NO way I could explain why I want a doll when I'm 64 yrs old, or why I fell in LOVE with this one. (my family would definitely be convinced I'd "lost it")

So I am just heartbroken that I can't get her. Looking at her photo, I could just cry.

(she's 20" inches the lady said, tho the highchair is only 18 inches as its a doll's one.)

hugs from heartbroken Karen

Comments (29)

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Awww Karen is is Beautiful..and she comes with a highchair
    too! How about if you contact the seller thur Craig's List and see if they will meet you half way..that's if you can even drive that. OR..let them know you want to purchase her and work out a financial arrangement - and ask them if they will hold her until you can pick her up.
    I've purchased from Craig's List and one seller did meet me where it was convienient for me to meet him. He lived two towns away, and was kind enough to do that and it was for a $20 purchase! As far as you being a 64 yr old who wants to purchase a doll..there are plenty of Doll Collectors..not strange at all. OR, you can say you want to buy her for your Gdtr!
    Gee I wish I were near you, I'd certainly go get her for you...even take out the 'Bus' !!
    Good luck..keep us posted...Remember 'Were there's a Will there's a Way'!

jane

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

She is so sweet! I agree with what Jane said, sure wouldn't hurt to ask for "delivery" since you can't drive, the lady might surprise you and do it--or at least agree to meet closer. Good luck. Luvs

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

she is a sweetie - agree with the others - never hurts to ask :) ......

Lynne

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The lady is super nice, we emailed back and forth several times. I asked if she was ever this direction of town, and she said no. She works in the opposite direction for that matter. I have one friend who lives way east of me, about an hour and I asked if she was near the lady's area and she's not. ;o(
    But I did come up with an idea for the seller to think about....UPS her to me! Even if it means minus the highchair (which is small, unlike Jeanne and Punk's real ones) I would be willing to send a check for the doll and trust her to mail it, then send another check for the shipping once the doll arrived. I am REALLY hoping this idea works. In my second email to her, I mentioned the fact I was 64 and how it seemed ridiculous to fall in love with a doll, and couldn't ask my DH to drive me to get her without him thinking I should be committed. Her response was so sweet, and UNDERSTANDING! She replied with "no matter your age-certain things have special meaning for certain people. :)
    Gosh, my family wouldn't "get it" but a stranger did.

Anyway, cross your fingers (toes and eyes) this WILL happen and the little one comes to live with me. (Mr Oblivious wouldn't notice as you know. LOL.) I could work her into my decorating where even the rest of my family wouldn't pay much attention that I'd just gotten her. They know I've got all kinds of stuff saved and stored. Let them ASSUME!! ;o)

hugs, Karen

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

Gee Karen, I hope you get her she is adorable!!!
    My family wouldn't be at all surprised if I got a doll. I made a baby doll about 25 yrs ago. My kids were teenagers and just shook their heads...
    But now they would think it's just mom being mom.
    Nana

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Karen I'm so happy to hear 'There's Hope' !
    The many people that I've dealt with on CL have always been very nice
    and very accomodating. The lady you spoke to, sounds like that too.
    Sending good vibes your way, that you will be including her in your vignettes soon.
    As far as Mr O - if he notices her, just say you 'Gave Birth' while he was out on the Golf Course -
    OR - if that doesn't work - you can always say you're 'Baby Sitting' !! lol
    Good Luck -
    jane

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

OOOOOHHHH, how sweet!!!
    I hope you get her and then you can have tea parties with Doll Baby and TJ, LOL

Like you said, Mr. O probably wouldn't see her and if he did, just tell him you brought her out for some of your forum buddies.

Good Luck!
    Candy

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Oh, there's hope! I hope she will UPS it to you! Good luck, Karen....wish I were there, too! Wouldn't one of your sons take a drive on a weekend? LOL! (or daughter or DIl?) UPS probably won't cost anymore than gas! Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Karen, she is adorable with those big brown eyes. Hope things work out and you get her. Her little finger on her right hand is so darn cute. Did you notice that?

Dollbaby & TJ would love having a little sister to have tea parties with. I picked up my high chair for $5 at a ys. If you can get her I wouldn't worry about the high chair.

Jane, "As far as Mr O - if he notices her, just say you 'Gave Birth' while he was out on the Golf Course" ROTFLMBO.....we need that bus rollin' now more than ever so we can 'Deliver.'

Punk

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

You liked that one huh Punk? !!
    I was chuckling myself, thinking about it...hehehe
    Love 'Your' ..idea about the bus - 'We Deliver' !!! lol

jane

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jane, you and Punk should take your act on the road...LOL.
    You two cracked me up.

The gal finally emailed me back late tonight and said she preferred not to take checks. sigh. She asked if I would give my credit card over the phone to UPS when doll was ready to be mailed. So I told her no problem, but asked her if she would take a money order or risk me sending cash. Guess she'll let me know tomorrow as its after midnight here now. I hope to heck I get a DEFINITE answer
    as I am very anxious to know for sure if I'm getting this little one. With any luck, she might be be here next Friday. I just hope another buyer doesn't come along and the gal decides shipping is too much bother....

hugs, Karen

• satine_gw
    12 years ago

Karen, where do you live? If anywhere near me I would be glad to pick up and deliver the new baby to you. Satine

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Satine, what a sweet offer. (I'm near Dunlap and 19th Ave) but the gal is clear over in Mesa, about 45 min away.
    But it looks like the gal IS willing to mail the baby doll to me. She's just been sort of dragging her heels over the weekend in replying. I hope this works out...I am mailing her a money order tomorrow (to a post office box), when she gets it then she is supposed to go to UPS and have them call me for my credit card to pay for the mailing. I feel like I can trust her, but one never knows for sure. If it turns out I made a mistake, then I hope she enjoys the $30 and feels it was worth it.

Wish me luck. LOL
    hugs, Karen

• satine_gw
    12 years ago

Ok, now I feel like a fool. I realized that I could have checked your page to see where you live. I don't live anywhere near you-in fact Im on the east coast near DC. I am so glad that you will be getting your new baby. Isn't it a sad state that we are in that we have lost so much trust. Again, happy for you. Satine

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Satine, please don't feel foolish. I thought your offer was wonderful, and certainly from the heart. It meant a lot to me.

Well, funny how things turn out. The gal has been soooo slow in responding to my emails since Sat, and it has been frustrating. Plus she didn't some questions I'd asked. Then wanting the money order, no check, to a PO Box and reluctant to give her last name.....I'm afraid that suddenly I started having doubts about this whole thing. I am sure she's most likely trustworthy, but I just couldn't quite shake off the second thoughts I was having.
    Well my fickle heart didn't take long to fall in love with another.....LOL. Just for the heck of it, this afternoon I looked on eBay at "toddler" dolls. Some really wonderful ones there, one company in particular does such special collectible ones. But expensive, around $100 with shipping. However I found my new little heart girl....and the fact she comes with her own little BUNNY kinda cinched it that she was meant for me to find her. (how's THAT for rationalizing!!) Here she is.....and I'm thinking about calling her Teegan, a little girl's name I've always liked. Or is that too close to our girl TJ here on the Forum?

Is she not irresistible!
    hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Oh, Teegan is beautiful! Love the name & way diff than TJ...anyway, they'll become close friends on here real soon! Love her little fingers & those chubby cheeks! Looks like more crazy decorating ahead here on the Holiday Forum! Hope you find the perfect highchair for her place-settings! LOL! TFS, PM! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Well I think it was meant to be with the other doll baby..
    but I'm so happy you found little Teegan to come home with you.
    She's adorable - just right to play with and her little bunny is precious.
    Jeanne's right, you've got to find her the right high chair and I too picture
    crazy decorating ahead!
    I can see all three of you whipping up the cutest tea party vignettes.
    jane

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, just when I was thinking Jeanne was the Queen of the Enablers (getting me to buy a baby doll, as well as Punk!),
    now I've got "encouragement" to go find a high chair. LOL.
    Guess that means I'll HAVE to go shopping at my favorite antique mall now. LOL
    Not to mention looking at baby clothes in GW!
    Jeanne, you have created a monster I think!
    (wonder who's going to be next to adopt a baby doll?)

hugs, Karen

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

Karen she is adorable!! Teegan is the perfect name for her.
    She has the sweetest face and I love her crooked little bangs. Babydoll and TJ must be so excited to have a new playmate!!
    Nana

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

She is an irresistible little one and will be thrilled to have a mommy like you and playmates here. With that cute little face it's a good thing she doesn't talk.

Teegan is a pretty name and I really like it. If you wouldn't of already named her she would probably be called "Faith" after what you've gone through.haha

I can only imagine what fun you will have shopping for a high chair and clothes for Teegan. Have you told Mr O your expecting now? So happy you found her.

Punk

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

I've been so busy this past week with my mom in the hospital that I hadn't posted here, but I had read your post...I'm so glad you found a baby to bring home! (or have shipped to you!) Teegan will be a wonderful addition to your family Karen!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

You'll never pass by the 12 mo. size or so baby clothes in the TS's again, Purplemoon!

Let us know how the "delivery' goes! LOL! Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL...I'm am a bit red-faced with embarrassment now....
    and NO I am not telling Mr O. that I'm "expecting".

Some of the gang here are probably rolling their eyes and shaking their heads. For that matter, after my aversion to playing with dolls as a child, I'm sure my two grandmothers are now rolling over in their graves and laughing. All I can say is...its not my fault....
    JEANNE STARTED IT !

;o)

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

Love Teegan - she is do sweet - I just know you will have fun playing with her in different vignettes. You gals are going to get me to pull my life size babydoll out that I did years ago in a porcelain doll class - she needs to join the party :).....

Lynne

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

>>

Lynne...what the heck are you WAITING for??? ;o)

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

LOL! I do like to 'start' things, PM! LOL!
    Lynne...you better be sharing that life-size babydoll! What's her name or his?

I can see some sweet friendships ahead! Today I bought Dollbaby some Fall color clothes at a TS & DH was with me...he asked who those were for? Why, for my doll! He just shook his head & walked off. So, it's ok, PM ...maybe your friends you shop w/will just do the same! (I know my Mom is smilin'!...who knew that Dollbaby would get so much love!) Jeanne S.

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

Well I guess I had better get busy then ;) .....

Lynne

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Teegan is a cutie! Next time though, when you get the urge to buy a doll, look at regular dolls at Toys R Us, American Girl, Amazon, etc., and you'll find some beautiful one's that are inexpensive!

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oak,there won't be a next time. LOL. Just the one.
    I thought about going to Toys R Us but decided to ebay instead. I do shop on Amazon but I didn't check them. This was all kind of spur of the moment.

I'm at my daughter's as my computer has something wrong with it and went out on me last night. On a weekend of course. I nearly went nuts without it during the midnight hours since I don't sleep and NEED it.

I read and watch TV but the computer is my lifeline to distraction from Fibro. I hope guy can get out tomorrow, if I don't shoot myself tonight with nothing to do. And nothing on TV either, figures it would be a bad TV night as well. Arrrggghhh.

I may try to come back over here around 9 or so, if ok with not disrupting their evening routine. But just for a short time to check mail and and my Forum stuff.

Cross your fingers I get back online tomorrow.

hugs, K

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6
More Discussions