Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weighting a fake pumpkin?

Posted by party_music50 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 20:57

Hi All! Remember those great fake pumpkins I snagged by the side of the road earlier this year? I want to use them on my porch this autumn, but the porch is mostly open on 3 sides so I'm afraid they'll just blow away. They seem to be made of a good-quality molded plastic and hollow inside... they are full size pumpkins but very light-weight, with no holes or openings that would allow me to weight or tether them easily. Maybe they won't blow away if I keep them toward the middle of the walled side???

What do you do to keep these pumpkins from blowing away in a wind? or do you just keep them indoors or in protected areas?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weighting a fake pumpkin?

PM, I am including a picture of my porch with fake pumpkins. Mine has a corner that helps as we get lots of high winds around here. The ones in the urns sometimes blow over, but tucking them in the corner helps.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You could always use thin wire to hold yours together, or cut an opening in the back, weight them with rocks and reglue the opening, even cover the cuts with some fake fall leaves glued over the cuts!

If you tuck items in the arrangement that aren't round, like fall leaves on stems, etc. it will help keep the pumpkins from rolling.

Have fun with your "new" pumpkins.

TTFN,
Candy

o

Don't laugh, but I dump kitty litter in them to weigh them down! New and clean litter of course, LOL. I saw this tip somewhere years ago.

hugs, Karen

o

Candy, your corner arrangement is beautiful! but I don't have a wind-protected location like that. Karen, I'd have to cut into the pumpkins to fill them with anything -- but I may end up doing just that...

I have a huge (20 gallon) crock near my front door, which is probably the most protected location on the porch. I just wove a wicker top for it, so that I can set things on it. That may be the best location for the pumpkins to stay in place -- and I'll try wrapping them in garlands of fake autumn leaves to keep them in place.

These fake pumpkins are awesome looking, but their lack of weight makes them impractical to use in most outdoor settings. Thanks for the replies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here