Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christmascandy

Found some bargain chairs! Now what to do??

christmascandy
11 years ago

I found these chairs at the Unique TS today.

Monday is 25% off day and they were $9.99 ea so....$14.98 for the pair!! The labels say they are custom made by a furniture maker in Colorado Springs.

I have long admired chairs of this style and am thrilled to have found these.

The upholstery is water stained and dirty, but not worn or torn, so I may try to clean it to see how it looks. Then I can decide whether to reupholster them or not. I am thinking of painting the woodwork, but may wait to see how the upholstery turns out. If it cleans up nicely, I may just use some Restore a Finish on it.

They are destined for our house in Sedona, which I know we are not going to be using for a couple of years yet, but I couldn't pass up this deal!! Especially if I am going to be redoing them.

TTFN,

Candy

Comments (11)

• phonegirl
    11 years ago

Candy, love, love, love these chairs you bought. I really like the wood as is on them and wouldn't change it at all. If the material doesn't come clean it would be worth it to re-upholster them. I can see them sitting beside a little round table in any room. Wouldn't the ideas decorating a setup like this be endless!Fun...

I will be looking forward to seeing more of them for sure. Super buy and I'm sooo happy for you and this find.

Punk

• milosmom_gw
    11 years ago

Absolutly love them!! and what a fabulous bargain.
    I really like the wood and nail trim , see it fitting in with a variety of decor although not to keen on the color of the upholstry but that might just be me.
    I can see reds , or blue coverings looking lovely.

• janet1_2007
    11 years ago

Candy, Love,love love your chairs. Absolutely beautiful.I know you will get tons of use out of them regardless of what you decide to do with them. One question, though. What is Restore A Finish? I have never heard of it and it sounds like something that I would love to try. Thanks for sharing Janet

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Wow! Bargain heaven!!! What a find! Love the wood finish! Hope they clean up for ya! TFS! Jeanne S.

• nana2010_gw
    11 years ago

What a bargain!! I love that style too.
    Nana

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

O-M-Gosh!!! Those are absolutely amazing!! And under $15 for the PAIR???? WOW! You are one lucky lady. They will look fabulous in your new house I'm sure. Wow....I still can't believe the price....just wow.

• party_music50
    11 years ago

Great buy! I've never heard of Restore a Finish either -- and like Punk, I would never paint these chairs. I like the natural wood look.

Candy, my dad used to reupholster old furniture and from your photo it looks like these might be fairly easy to do yourself. They appear to be fully tacked, so you'd just remove the 3000 tacks from each chair (lol!) and use the existing fabric pieces as the pattern on/for your replacement fabric -- allowing excess all the way around for a nicely folded seam. Then replace the 3000 tacks. Twice. LOL!!!

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Punk, We are a couple years away from being able to completely retire and snowbird in Sedona. These chairs are intended for that house, so I won't be using them for a while, but couldn't pass them up for that price!

MM, I will see how they clean up before I decide. They are a warm cream color and would work well in almost any setting if they come clean! If not, then I will look for some fabric for them.

Janet, thanks. It is actually "Restor A Finish" no e on restore. I bought it at Ace Hardware and it is a one step rejuvenator for wood finishes. Works quite well.

Jeanne, thanks, I hope they clean up too! At first, I was thinking of redoing them and painting the wood some accent color, but they are really quite nice and I think I would prefer not to ruin the wood finish.

Nana, I seem to see something similar in almost every decorating magazine. DH wasn't too thrilled, but I just told him its my house too, and I liked them! (period, end of sentence!!) LOL

Marlene, that TS usually has amazing prices on their furniture. I bought a large 6' tall bookcase for $2.97. It was composite board, but I wanted it for the basement and dish storage, so the price was right. Unless it is something very current and really high quality, they rarely put any high prices on the furniture.
    However, that being said, these chairs are custom made, very sturdy, and I saw similar ones on ebay for anywhere from $400 to $1100 per chair!!

PM, Restor A Finish is great!
    Also, I have reupholstered tufted headboards, wing chairs, sofas, loveseats, benches, you name it.
    For me the worst part is pulling STAPLES, tacks are relatively easy compared to staples!
    I haven't pulled put the steam cleaner yet, so no decision made regarding what I am going to do with them.

Thanks everybody! I admit, I was feeling pretty excited about this purchase. It really felt like I scored big on this one! And that is part of the thrill for me of shopping at thrift stores!!

TTFN,
    Candy

• Purplemoon
    11 years ago

OMGosh, what an incredible find. My jaw hit the floor on what you paid for these? I know you are a Queen of Bargains but this might top all the others you've shared with us. I am just blown away as I love these chairs too.
    Just gorgeous!

I'm glad you decided to NOT paint the wood, its beautiful.
    As for the fabric, have you seen the stuff now that you can
    PAINT over old fabric instead of having to reupholster things? I think I saw it on Pinterest. Might be worth checking out if this doesn't come clean for you but you like the fabric itself.

Congratulations on a GREAT score. Who cares if DH's aren't thrilled with what we do. LOL What do they know about decorating anyway?!!

hugs, Karen

• kathleen_li
    11 years ago

Great find! I can't wait to see how they come out! Love the lines, and made in the US, wonderful!

• neesie
    11 years ago

I love that style too! You will find that people who didn't necessarily like them will ooh and ah after you have them cleaned or reupholstered. They just don't the eye!

And Sedona? I'm jealous!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions