Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plainjane425

Joining In With My Summer Mantel

plainjane425
12 years ago

I decorated my mantel in June, for the Summer, but never posted it here.

After seeing Jeanne's Summer buffet and Luvs 'Beachy' decor...thought before the Summer is over...I'd add this too.

I've made a 'Mental Note' for next year - when I saw Luv's lovely glass jars with her shell collections.

They're so nice to look at.

As much as I love the Fall and Holidays that follow, I really hate to see this mantel go..it means 'Goodbye To Summer'..and 'Hello Winter'. I'm not looking forward to a repeat performance of last Winter that's for sure.

I kept it very simple with White and just the soft colors in the Framed Print..

I was so excited to find this Framed Print at GW in Feb, for $15 - by Pieter Bruegel. It had just a few knicks on the frame, (easily touched up). I couldn't wait to display it the Summer/Fall Season. It's 'The Harvesters'

I love his work..always of busy Village Scenes...I have another one (Winter Scene) I bought yrs ago...so this was a nice addition.

I really enjoy looking at it...

Hope you enjoyed looking..I guess pretty soon,

before you know it, we'll all be doing our Fall/Halloween Mantels.

jane

Comments (25)

• maximavswife
    12 years ago

Oh Jane this is just so lovely! I love summer whites and you have done it to perfection. Thank you for sharing.

Kath

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Jane, beautiful mantel with all the white dishes, candle sticks, star fish and birds. Just the right touch of greenery too.

So happy for you with your new print, The Harvesters by by Pieter Bruegel. Some look pretty tired! I will have to go look at some of his other work. Please share your other one with us.

Guess I should be thankful the Dear Lord and DH took care of me this summer. There won't be much harvesting at our place this fall.

I'm hoping you won't have to go through another winter like the last one too!!!

Punk

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

That is lovely! You know how much I like bird decor, they seem to work anywhere and anytime! Where did you find that big bird cup the ivy is in? LOVE it!

I'm hoping you don't have another bad winter too. Nice weather needs to be in your forecast for a LONG time!
    hugs, Karen

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

Jane, Your mantel is simply elegant. The white pieces and the Harvesters print look wonderful together. Using the container of wheat is the is the perfect touch.
    I love fall and Halloween decorating. Summer seemed to go by so quickly, maybe because we didn't have much of a spring here this year. So I'm hanging on to summer for as long as possible!
    Nana

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the sweet compliments.

Kath..glad you enjoy 'Summer Whites' too..
    During the hot days of summer, I find it a relief to look at.

Punk..Gee I'm sorry....I remember that your DH went a little 'Weed Killer' happy...so I assume that's why No Harvesting for you!! lol
    I've posted the other 'Pieter Bruegel-the Elder' that I have below. It's a Winter scene called -
    Census at Bethlehem.
    My parents introduced me to Art Appreciation and his work, as a young girl. One of my favorite pastimes was going with them in the Summer, to the Met Museum of Art and the Annual Art Shows in the Village.

Census at Bethlehem.

Karen...I guess the 'Bird Cup' looks different with the greenery in it...It's the one I used last year for a Fall display.. I bought two of them at TJM. I agree that birds are so versatile...You enabled...uh...inspired me to own some!

Thanks nana...I love athe Fall and Halloween decorating too...and agree that we didn't have much of a Spring..and like you, are hanging on to Summer as long as possible.

Thanks again all..
    jane

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

Really love how you did your mantel Jane. All of the white items really pull your eye towards the white items in the picture too. I love your three sizes of pitchers grouped together, and the candle holders too. It has a very peaceful, restful quality about it all--very nice. Luvs

• janet1_2007
    12 years ago

Jane, I qm really liking your mantel. The white is so pristene and leaves me with a very quiet and restful feeling. Love your pitchers and the grouping of candleholders and birds. I would hate to take that one down too. (ME

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

I LOVE the framed print ...what a bargain $$$ ...am happy you found one from the artist you have fond memories of with your parents. It is a very peaceful vignette on your mantel. I agree, all the whites & also that they are pottery pcs...look so cool & calm. Also that you used 'birds' ...like PM, I think they fit any season. TFS, jane. Jeanne S.

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

I just tried to post a message and it said the link is broken.
    I'm trying again.
    Love the mantel. The white is perfect and the picture was a real bargain.

TFS,
    Candy

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Jane, I thought I posted on here last night but must of went to cyber space. Thanks for posting your winter print. I really like both of theses. I did a little research and love his chubby little cherubs.

You remembered DH and the roundup huh? It is truly a blessing because I haven't wanted to garden this year. In the past years my yard is where I spent the most time during summer. This year I've done anything but spend time tending to it.LOL

Punk

• oldalgebra
    12 years ago

Oh, gosh. I'm loving the mantel. I must say, for some reason, I'm a pitcher lover. I don't really use picthers much for their intended purpose - maybe once in a while when I host a large diner party, but not much. I just like their LOOK. And they don't necessarily have to have any arrangement or anything. They're just neat, standing on their own.
    Your three white pitchers are like stair-step siblings.

You gave me a little art lesson too. I recognized the style, but didn't know anything about the painter. Cool! I'm a just a little bit smarter today.

• oldalgebra
    12 years ago

Just to clarify, I've never hosted a diner party. I do dinner parties from time-to-time though.

A diner party - hmmmmm. I can see a tablescape starting to develop in my mind's eye now.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gee ladies...it was nice to read more sweet compliments on this Mantel..makes it harder when I have to take it down!
    Thank you (as Jeanne says) 'Holidayers' !! lol

Punk I remember the 'Roundup Story'...I hear ya though on NOT wanting to do it this year..my gosh, you've been so busy with your business..it's amazing you do what you do posting on this site.

OA...I've been collecting 'Pitchers' over 35 yrs now. The first two were from my mother (Ironstone) and was hooked on them since. Yep, you don't need anything in them - they look just fine 'all on their own'!
    I think we ALL would love to see a 'Dinner Party' scape from you...sounds very 'glam' !! lol

jane

• oldalgebra
    12 years ago

No, no. Diner Party, as in:

{{gwi:1432178}}

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL - OA....Now I Get It!

BTW...neat color on those booths & counter stools!
    This place makes me want to have a 'Root Beer Float'
    or maybe just a good old fashioned 'Egg Cream' !! lol
    jane

• kathleen_li
    12 years ago

I love your mantel, Jane. I never change mine except for Cmas. I am not good at it!
    The painting is wonderful. Reminds me of the Villeroy and Boch plate scenes that I love. Folk art like.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Oh, I feel a 'Jukebox' t'scape coming on! LOL! Diner parties! LOL, OA & slinkey!

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

OA, Can I come to your DINER Party?
    Nana

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kathleen for your comments.
    I used to leave my Mantel up all year and only change it at Christmas too..
    but since joing Holiday... the 'Enablers'
    have inspired me to change it more often.

OA...see what you started?
    You've fired us up here with talk of your 'Diner Party'..
    So >>
    ' Since You Talked the Talk'.. 'Can You Walk the Walk' ?
    We'll be waiting! LOL

jane

• kathleen_li
    12 years ago

Why not make it an event for mid September? Diner Day!

• oldalgebra
    12 years ago

Yeah. Let's all do a diner tablescape in September. That sounds fun to me. I'm in.
    Who else?

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Well, I'm the cow's tail as usual, but your mantel is just lovely! Love the softness of it and your white bird, pot with the bird on it and starfish. Covers a lot of different parts of summer...gardens and beach. The print is beautiful too!

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OA/Kathleen that sounds like a fun challange..
    I guess a seperate post should go out for whoever wants to
    join in..
    I haven't a clue as to what I'd use for a 'Diner tablescape'..lol
    Now you've got my wheels spinning!

Thanks Marlene for the nice comments...
    You're the nicest 'cow's tail' I've ever met! lol

jane

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Woozers...this post is going places ladies. I'm so excited to think we may have a Diner Tablescape coming up next month. Not sure I'll be able to join but I'll be cheering all of you on!!!

Punk

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Ok....Mz OhSoAmazing, where the heck did you find a PURPLE
    Diner?
    I want to go there! Its the first diner I've ever fallen in love with. LOL.

hugs, Karen