Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alex9179_gw

Anyone want to share Autumn decorations?

alex9179
13 years ago

I know I'm early, but it's my favorite time of year and I need something to distract me from the overwelming heat/humidity of the Gulf Coast!

I've just started, but here is my mantle and a pass-through I've just done. Cut some tall grass with lovely seed heads with the kids today and used them in a couple of places. I can almost feel the autumn breeze!

Anyone else?

Comments (23)

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

That's beautiful, Alex! I think you are so lucky to be able to use real Nature pieces. The arrangement in that vase is fabulous, I love that sort of 'wild' look far better than any other kind of arrangement!

I know what you mean about needing distraction from the heat, tho I don't deal with your humidity. I've had my fill of 110-plus days, but they won't end for a long time yet. The day the calendar says First Day of Fall, I'm hauling out my decor! LOL. I use to wait till Halloween.
    HA! No more.

Keep those 'cool' pictures coming!
    hugs, Karen

• alex9179
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!
    My arrangements have to look kind of wild because I just cannot seem to be able to do otherwise :) Good thing I like the look, or I'd be so frustrated!

Only about 3 weeks until fall, YAY!

• valleymagpie
    13 years ago

Alex,

I am starting to get out my fall decor too. Fortunately here in the Northwest the weather is cooling down--just in the low '70s...perfect fall weather. Some of our maple trees are starting to turn color (don't understand that...)

I love your transferware with the birds. Such an interesting contrast, the tropical birds with the golden brown color. It looks really nice with your berried arrangement. Love the grass, the urn, and the white china. And your brick wall is terrific.

- Magpie

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Hi Alex...
    I love the Natural elements in your floral arrangement...
    (my kind of style).
    Those transferware plates are lovely on your mantel and I like how you added the birds and the white platters and pumpkins too. I must say you have everything looking mighty festive, and yes, it's only 3 weeks away!
    I love Fall decorating too and look forward to it...but I'm still holding on to Summer here. Winter is real long, cold and dreary so I'll take as much Summer as I can get (except for humidity)!! Sorry all you gals suffering from those high temps...I guess there's no happy medium.

jane

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Enjoyed your decorations and I too love the natural elements. I used to use alot of Canadian Thistles, cattails, baby's breath, etc. but seem to have gotten away from that. Maybe seeing yours will get me motivated.

I will start decorating in a week or two and try to join in.

Punk

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

I love your arrangement it has a timeless look to it. Nanakaren

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Love the way you decorated your mantle, it looks really nice. Not ready to start decorating for Fall yet either, but I love looking at it--and getting ideas. Luvs

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

That brick wall & mantle is so beautiful! And you've chosen such beautiful pcs for a Fall setting...I love the white contrast of the mirror & plates & the natural grasses in your urn. TFS! Jeanne S.

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

Not ready for Fall yet here, I'll hold on to summer. September is the best month here, the water is still warm and the tourists are gone!
    Your autumn decs look lovely!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I got off my butt and put all those saved photos into the various Inspiration albums. Tablesettings y'all had done,
    a few Christmas ideas in the Misc Christmas album, and had 9 photos for the Fall album (link below). So for the moment I'm caught up again.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: our Fall Album

• alex9179
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting the link Karen! Some great ideas that have me kick started again.

Here is a little vignette in my kitchen. Maybe I'll finish things up today!

• alex9179
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting the link Karen! Some great ideas that have me kick started again.

• alex9179
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• alex9179
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can't believe it posted 3 times! Aaarrrrgghh! When are we going to get a delete/edit option LOL!!

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Karen, I really enjoyed looking at the Fall Album. I'll take one of each, please LOL NanaKaren

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    13 years ago

Chijim told me about this post and said I should post a pic of my 'harvest-y' mantle that I did quickly Monday night.

The twiggy wreath was in the garage, and I cleaned it up and added the stuff you see to it. The Ogee mirror is from eBay and the Chinoiserie lamps are from Craigslist. I hung the wreath from the mirror with push pins in the back that attach the ribbon its hanging from to the mirror.

• alex9179
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I saw you post this on the decorating forum, too :) Yours looks so vibrant and I am in love with your lamps!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Alex, your corner arrangement was so pretty I enjoyed seeing it three times. LOL. But seriously, I really do
    think its wonderful. The fall colors around the silver has quite an effect. Our Fall album is going to start getting some new ideas for sure.

3 dogs...wooo hooo...right up my alley. I have 6!
    I'm SO glad Jim sent you here so we could see your decor.
    That vignette is beautiful. May I add it to our Fall Inspiration Album? I seldom think to 'ask' the gang here,
    tho I probably should. Since you're new, I'll do it. LOL.

hugs,Karen

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Alex, your vignette looks good. I don't know if I would of thought to mix the silver with the fall colors but it looks nice together. Is the pitcher for gravy? It's pretty cute with your platters.

My3dogs, your twig wreath turned out really neat. I too really like your Chinoiserie lamps. All the gourds give a nice fall look on your mantle.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Alex, it may sound dumb...but I wonder how a little (faux) nest and bird would look in the gravy boat? I keep seeing birds and nests stuck in everything and used everywhere. Since I love birds, those kind of ideas always interest me. Please don't think I'm critiquing your arrangement, I just wondered if this was idea you'd like.

hugs, Karen

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    13 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome! I can see why Jim likes this board so much. This is an earlier version of a fall mantle from a few years ago. Those incredible lamps were $35 for the pair. and the seller delivered them to me! The quality of them is amazing. When I see a Christmas/Holiday mantle post, I'll have some contributions for that, too.

• alex9179
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karen, that IS a cute idea. I had a nest at one point, but it may be packed up with my Christmas stuff since I used it with some cardinals in a garland last year. You may have noticed all of the birds on my mantle? I love them too! Look at my3dogs pheasant on her last pic, I so covet it :)

Punk, yep it's a gravy boat. I love tarnished silver and have a bunch of pieces that I rotate, but this grouping tends to stay throughout the year.

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Oh am I glad I dropped in today!!! Y'all have been busy and everything is loverly!!!! M3D it is GREAT to see you over here and Alex, you too!!! M3, you take a few minutes to do what would take me a year to think of!! Tell that Jimbo it's time for HIM to show up over here too!!(and bring kitty pictures)
    Hugs to you ALL,
    J

Sponsored
More Discussions