Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Santa doll help, please!

Posted by olychick (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 14:29

Hi, I posted this in doll making but thought maybe people here might know about these things. I am clueless!

I am helping with a charity auction, writing the catalog for bidders and someone has donated (donor is unavailable to help me) two large "dolls" - one that is like an old european santa, the other similar but with a blue velvet outfit with a moon and stars motif, and a real fur vest. The pics are bad - the Santa looks disheveled because I was rushed, but he's quite beautiful and the "wizard" has one of his feet wrapped for storage.

I am trying to figure out if these are homemade dolls or something else. Is there any way to tell? A place to look for a mark or?? What do I call them? Some term that I can use for the auction book? How do I determine value?

The heads, hands and feet are all ceramic. The fabrics seem to be first quality as do the hair and beards. Any guidance you can give me is appreciated.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Santa doll help, please!

Those are wonderful. I love the Santa one (red suit), the other... elf or wizard..is neat too tho. They look OLD.

I don't have much to offer in the way of help. Usually if
you have a couple of 'key words', its easy to google things. But so many kinds of Santas, I wouldn't know where to start on this one without a marking. The wizard might be easier. I sure hope someone can identify them. It'd be interesting to know if they are valuable and really old.
Please let us know if you find out anything.

Karen

o
RE: Santa doll help, please!

Thanks, Karen. I don't think they are old, they look almost new, like maybe used in a display. They are not soiled at all. Maybe that other one is an elf? I was confused by the fur vest.. seems to me I think of elves as being in red, too?

Hopefully someone who knows about these kind of dolls with chime in. I really just want to know what to call them and an idea of how to value them. It's an auction so they will only be worth what someone pays, but I don't want to say they are worth some amount that is too high or too low.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here