Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_li

Come to my garden party..

kathleen_li
15 years ago

A month or so ago I believe Luvs asked if I would post pics of the flowers that were keeping me so busy..

So I will give you the grand tour...

Come up for some fresh blueberry peach muffins on the front porch...

Some of my lilies..

The white PeeGee hydrangea are starting to bloom...

And rose of sharon...

Lacecap variety..

Are you hungry yet? Walk down to the beach with me, and sit and look at the bay...

So now..let's eat..

Appy's baked potato skins and grilled mozzarella and basil...

Hydrangea centerpiece, tablecloth goes to the floor, got them on ebay last year..wisteria ed chandy, LOL,

Grilled rib eye steaks, twice baked potato, etc..

And just for Karen desserts..

Fresh blueberries and strawberries, and the big cupcake adorned with flowers..Cherry pie.not to great looking, and a apin to pit all those cherries..

Inside the cupcake is banana choc chip cake layered with choc cream icing..

{{gwi:1432001}}

Have a safe trip home....

Hope you enjoyed the tour...

Comments (30)

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh Kathleen,
    How beautiful! I can see why you are out in the yard. I would be too. I can bypass the food if you will just let me sit on your deck in the shade and enjoy the beautiful yard and then LEAD ME TO THAT OCEAN!!!!!!!!
    It has been about 4 years since we made it to the beach and I am having serious withdrawals after seeing those shots.

Alfred is sitting beside me and said to tell you that Martha Stewart has nothing on you!! I agree.
    Betty

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Betty, and big hi to Alfred. I love the water too, so peaceful. I often walk there and sit and think, and I do appreciate being so close..
    Hope Alfred is getting better everyday!

• dining_delight
    15 years ago

Kathleen, you live in a beautiful house with a beautiful yard (thanks to you and your gardening too!) and in a beautiful area close to the beach. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour and would love to be able to join you and Betty in the gazebo for some of those desserts and then wear them off going for a walk along the beach. Wonderful bit of paradise you have there!

DD

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Wow! Your home and your yard are just gorgeous. And what pretty beach scenes too. Those hydrangas are amazing--just so beautiful and lush. Sure make a pretty centerpiece don't they?

The food--Oh my goodness! You sure come up with a great variety, and present it in such a pretty way. Never fails to make my mouth water! I think I've gained several pounds just mentally devouring all of it! LOL

Thanks for the lovely tour. Now go enjoy yourself.

Luvs

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, DD and Luvs. The gardens are a work in progress, we built this house 7 yrs ago, so there is still a way to go. I try to add diff perens each year, but still need those annuals for color. And keeping the deer away from them a never ending job.
    Luvs, yes, hydrangea make wonderful centerpieces, or just floating in a bowl, they are so pretty. And decking the giant cupcake in them for the garden party was fun too. They grow well here, you see them all over.

And I wish we could all sit on the porch together and have some goodies and conversation!
    Sure wish Sandi was here too. Now where is Karen and Miss Judith, and Mary, Jay and all the others to join in the party??

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Flap, flap....I just got here and had to make circles all around that beautiful yard!!! I wouldn't know where to settle in for a visit...it is all soooooo lovely and beckoning! And food too, and chocolate....wow...we could do some serious damage to our waistlines...oh, but then we could go and swim it off....wowohwow. Thank you soooo much for sharing with this flower/ocean/beach starved transplanted yankeebird.

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I always forget you are a Yankee, Jay. My sister is like you a Yankee flower transplanted to Tx. She has lost her LI accent too!
    And yes it would be fun to sit and eat chocolate, the oldbies and the newbies too!

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

Wooo Hooo... save some space for me!! Kathleen your beautiful home and grounds looks like it could give 'The Best' Cape Cod B&B some stiff competition. EVEN with the Ocean nearby to boot!! Loved the tour, and would love to sit and chat w/all you lovely ladies...and of course...ENJOY THE FOOD !! Just beautiful...down to every detail.
    Thanks for sharing..
    Jane

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

Wow Kathleen, those are some incredible pics. I'm blown away by your beautiful yard and everything else.

THanks for sharing.

AM
    The Dinner Chronicles

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks AM, good of you to drop in and comment!

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

I'm on my way Kathleen....What a great day at your place!

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Kathleen, I have been thinking of places for a vacation, and your place may just be it!

Truly wonderful.

Peppi

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Peppi! Do come, we can cook together!

• lackboys3
    15 years ago

Kathleen, you have a lovely home and the hydrangeas are absolutely beautiful! The gardening looks like so much work, but then you get a break in the winter, right? Here in Central Florida, it's work on the garden and lawn all year long.

So open up a bed and breakfast, and I'll be your first guest!!!
    DONNA

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Well, FINALLY.... I NO LONGER want to come to dinner!!!!
    I'm just going to move in and be done with it.

I've definitely been in the desert too long, its hard to believe places like yours are real. Looks like Heaven to me.

hugs, Karen

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Donna, hope you had a good bday and dh is getting better!
    Thanks for your comment. No bed and breakfast unless I could hire people to wash and clean!!!
    And yes, after Oct., no more gardening till March...

Karen, where have you been?
    Glad you came to the party! Glad you enjoyed the pics...thank you!

• prosperity66
    15 years ago

Wouaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Amazing! Splendid! Your garden is wonderful! Love your hydrangea, I will buy some next year! Just hope mine will be as beautiful as yours (so much rain here)...

I also want a porch! That is something that is missing in my country: a porch that allows us to "live" outside of our house while being home, connected with the others. The only thing you'll ever see to our houses is... a front door (closed, obviously).

Kathleen, would you agree to post the recipes of your hmmmmm, so appetizing food?

Thank you so much for sharing so many beautiful things with us!

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Prosperity.
    I usually only use recipes for baking, and I wing the other things, but I can tell you how to make something if you's like!

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That would be you'd like. typo!

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

WOW,I havn't been to this site for awhile,glad Luvs reminded me about it.

Kathleen your home and yard is just beautiful,belongs in a magazine.Love those Hydrangeas,they are one of my favorite flowers.TFS
    Kathi

• mary_ruth
    15 years ago

Wonderful tour! GREAT pictures too! Beautiful garden!

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Hi Mary Ruth, where have you been? We've missed you! Isn't it about time for another tea party? Have you been doing any new decorating projects we should hear about? Did you mention that you might be moving? Fill us in on what's going on in your life, okay?

Hi Kathy, glad you came on over too. There are so many wonderful forums to check out on Gardenweb--hard to keep up with all your favorites, isn't it? I check Painting and Holidays everyday, then Crafts and Garden Junk as time permits. On days when I just want to browse (lazy and don't want to do housework or anything) I look at Crafts, Cleaning, Home Dec., etc. just to see what's new. I'm sure I'm probably missing some other good ones too. LOL

Luvs

• prosperity66
    15 years ago

Well, Kathleen, I've read and re-read the description but did not find out what is on the second and third pictures... it's appetizing but don't know what it is (I am ashamed, I am a bad cooker, lol).

Also, what do you call "twice baked potato"? And once again, as usual, your meal is so appetizing, and especially... something I don't like at all: salad and vegetables.

I'd eat yours with the most pleasure - incredible! - so if you'd agree to tell me what they are... I'd be happy.

However, (and unfortunately) I don't need the recipe of the cake...
    I am on holiday and gained some pounds :-s

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Prosperity, that's a real simple one!
    It is a thin multigrain sandwich roll, brushed with olive oil, filled with mozzarella cheese and fresh basil, and grilled..couldn't be easier, well if I had a Panini grill it would be easier!

Twice baked potatoes...
    Bake the potato till slightly underdone.
    Slice off top and carefully scoop out the potato. Make the filling by mixing butter, cheese, either cheddar or parmesian, etc, chives, s&p. Stuff back in, sprinkle crumbled bacon on top and rebake till heated through and browned on top...really good!
    Anything else, just ask!

• Kathie738 P
    15 years ago

WOW Kathleen...if I lived there I would never want to leave home!
    Can I ask about the big cupcake....I understand that the top cooks before the bottom is done, did you have a problem with that?
    I'd love to get one but I'm concerned about the different cooking times.
    Thanks,
    Kathie

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kathie,
    I added a little more to the top, and therefore the bottom was a bit less.
    I haven't had any trouble, but I use a moist choc cake.
    My grandkids love it,.
    I also slice the bottom and use icing, and do the same to the top, so you get icing with all parts.
    Here's one done with whipped cream...

You can see in the first pic where i slit for icing..

BTW I got mine in Linenesnthings with my 20 off coupon, and another for my sis in WMSONOMA outlet...came to about 20 dollars.
    I don't know if Michaels has them yet so you could use the coupon there ..
    Let me know how you do!

• prosperity66
    15 years ago

Thanks for the recipe, Kathleen... I didn't thought about panini - they are much more appetizing than those served in our snack bars!

Hm, my son just watched the pictures and told me that your cake looks like a giant American muffin - he loves American muffins and I love UK muffins, lol - and would like to know the recipe (I presume he'll do one himself...)

Oh yes, I have to congratulate you as my son is so happy to watch your great pictures (of food, obviously)!

• Kathie738 P
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reply Kathleen, the only other person I saw use this pan suggested cutting the pan apart so you could remove the top section when it was done...your way sounds much easier.
    Thanks for the coupon tip also, they are a little pricey but such a nice multipurpose cake.
    Kathleen, I recently got a book called "Hello Cupcake" it has wonderful cupcake decorating ideas with everyday items..they have it on Amazon if you want to take a peek.

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Kathie, I will take a look. I have vowed NO MORE COOKBOOKS! I ask the library to get them and sometimes they oblige.
    I got them to get the Carolyn Roehme books for me, they are so expensive!
    Cut it in half!! Yikes it is pretty thick metal LOL.
    Like I said, just put a bit more in the top than they say!

Prosperity, that is a Wilton Pan called the Big Cupcake..
    You can use any cake recipe in it. Do you have Wilton pans there?

• prosperity66
    15 years ago

Hi Kathleen

Well, Wilton Pan... don't know if we have that kind of pans here in Belgium. I will have a look at some of our stores. Maybe a store for professional bakers? Or I'll maybe simply ask the baker.

I am amazed by what I learn just for visiting this forum!

On Monday, I plan to make your mozarella sandwich roll! Hope it will be as tasty as the look of yours!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH
More Discussions