Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Lazy Summer Days . . . Checking Back In

lynninnewmexico
13 years ago

I seem to be just lazily cruising through this Summer. I've enjoyed your tablescapes here so much, but have not been doing anything new myself. Same old Talavera or blue & white tables. I've been keeping a look out for something new to add, but haven't found anything worth the bother as yet. I'm running out of storage space, thanks to you enablers (LOL), and now am forced to be very judicious about what I buy :~(

I have picked up several new items for my Autumn tables, though. Bought a new nutcracker for my collection at an online auction the other day, but (forgive me) I am so not into setting a Christmas themed table yet. I can't even wrap my brain around an Autumn one yet! I'm just living in the moment, I guess.

The sides of the roads here in our mountain village are abloom with wild sunflowers and so pretty! They're one of my very favorite flowers. My own patches of Maximilian sunflowers will be blooming soon. Maybe that'll be my next table to show you.

DD starts back to school in only 6 days, so we've been doing a lot of back-to-school shopping lately. We're also trying to spend a lot of summer fun days, too (zoo, lunches out with friends, etc).

DS has less than a month left of his current deployment in Afghanistan and will hopefully be home here for a visit next month. I'm counting the days!

I'm especially loving all of your Summer tables when I check back in here. In Summer, I just enjoy being out in my gardens and cooking yummy fresh Summer foods so much I don't think much about designing a fresh tablescape. Wish you all were closer and could do it for me . . . I'd cook for you, and you all could set the tables ;^D

Anyone for some fresh Caprese????

{{gwi:1431681}}

Lynn

Comments (8)

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Me. Me. Pick me!

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Gosh, I should have mentioned something about your son's current tour of duty. I bet you are marking off the days on a calendar (if not on paper, then the one in your head). Less than a month! How have you managed to sleep these past months??

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

It is so good to hear from you, lynn...I think of you often in sunny NM! Yes, Fall is fast approaching & I think it probably is time...altho, where did summer go? Not a nice one here in Iowa...too much rain, heat & humidity. We have never run our air-conditioner so much! But, the flowers have been beautiful & the weeds along with them! LOL!

Thank you to your son & your family...it is so difficult during deployment into war torn countries. Our SIL retired (20+yrs) after his last deployment to Iraq & now this Iowa unit has left once again...this time for Afghanistan...makes for proud moments & tears. So, bless your son & you'll see him soon!

Your pic of summer delites looks yummy! Lookin' forward to Fall t'scapes & your DD's new yr of school! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Oh that does look yummy & refreshing!
    Wish I could just 'drop by' and enjoy it with you...I'd gladly set the table & clean up too!!
    Nice to see you checking in..seems we've all be doing the same here. The gals who've kept up with their tables during this hot/humid summer..put me to shame.
    They've been so inspiring, and I've been enjoying everything, but feel guilty . I think it's time to get back to joining in.
    Seems this summer has been moving along too quickly. As much as I hate all the hot/humidity..I don't look forward to the cold and ice.
    Guess we'll soon be getting out those Pinecone & Acorns again!! lol
    Blessings to your son, and to you. I'm sure you're on pins and needles counting the days till he's back home.
    Please thank him again for us.

jane

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Sending you all hugs Lynnie! I understand about not being able to think in this heat...arrgh........
    We have had beautiful wild sunflowers this year too, so there is always something to look for as we wander around the area. I heard on the news last night that there are a couple of cool fronts headed our way, which will bring the high temps down to the mid nineties!!! That will feel pretty good after a few weeks of 105 plus.....

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, thank you for all your kind words . . . and I will pass along your thank yous and well wishes to my brave, sweet son. I was looking at the many framed photos I have of both my kids this morning. It hardly seems possible that he's all grown up! One minute he's a beautiful little chubby cheeked toddler with big green eyes, white blond curls and such a happy smile and the next, he's a soldier off to war thousands of miles away. It seems to happen so fast, doesn't it?!?

I do have a confession to make to you all . . . I've just gotten back from one more day of school shopping with Emily (DD) and, while at Target, I found a set of black dinner plates on sale for only $7.99 . . . and bought them! I'll have to see what I have to use with them but, if nothing else, they'll work for Halloween ;^D
    I need to go through Karen's albums to get some inspiration. See what a bad influence you all are on me (LOL)?
    Lynn

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Looks cool and yummy. We have been enjoying our vegetables out of the garden. Corn is still about 2 weeks out.

So excited for you and your family to be together soon. Give DS hugs from all of us safe ones here.

Nice find on your black plates for $7.99. Black goes so well with everything and that's one color I don't have. They would look great with purple, green or orange for Halloween. Check out Karen's albums and I'm sure you will get some neat ideas.

Punk

• bettyd_z7_va
    13 years ago

Hi Lynn,

I miss all y'all, too.

This has been the hottest, driest summer I've ever known in my 56 years.

I started out this spring buying and planting LOTS of plants to help slow soil errosion on my hillside, then spent every morning watering to keep them alive while I prayed for the well to not go dry!

I'm sending up prayers for your DS and his safe return.
    Our DS was in for the weekend. He is supposed to head to Afganistan in Jan, if not before.

We are praying he won't have to go and he is looking forward to it.

Haven't bought any dishes. Haven't taken down the last tablescape because I have NOWHERE to put the dishes.

We squeezed in 6 days at the beach on a packed calendar. It was the first vacation for us since Alfred's accident in '08. Just the 3 of us for 4 days before DS got bored with us old folks and DD brought the DGSs for a couple of days.

Thank Goodness! There is only so much playing in the ocean with a 16 year old boy this old girl can handle before crashing!

School starts here next Monday. I hate it! I haven't had enough time with my Boys this summer.

I've tried a few new recipes, but no pictures. Just happy males with huge appetites.

Catch ya later,
    Betty

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer
More Discussions