Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

OT Jeanne, hope you're not flooded

luvstocraft
13 years ago

Jeanne, I just heard on the news that Iowa has some severe flooding. Hoping you are safe and dry, is it anywhere near your area? Luvs

Comments (8)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Thanks, luvs! No, not here in our small community ...but West of us about l-l/2 hrs. & surrounding areas...the hometown of Iowa State University got hit hard (that's about 50,000 people) & college starts on Mon. (well, was supposed to anyway). One 16-yr drowned who was with a group of 11 in 2 cars & were swept off the road in flash flooding...the survivors were able to hang on to downed trees...always terrible news of the destruction of homes & towns, crops ...but losing lives is so devastating. Good thoughts & prayers to this young woman's family & friends.

Iowa just has so much rain this summer that the grounds are saturated & then more falls like 3" in an hour or so.. (some places up to 6" or more in a short time!)....and the little creeks turn into bigger problems like the rivers! Need some drying time for awhile.

Thank you for your note, luvs. Jeanne S.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Jeanne, I'm so happy to hear that you're safe and dry. Iowa has had such a hard time with rain and bad weather this summer. I hope that you Autumn is picture perfect. you all deserve it!
    Lynn

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

I too am so thankful you are ok Jeananne. So sad to hear about the loss of that young lady. I will put her family in my prayers.

Punk

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Jeanne...ditto to above...
    You just wrote the other night about all the rain you've been having this summer. I'm glad your 'neck of the woods' is not flooded.
    I too was sorry to hear of the loss of that 16 yr old..
    How terribly sad.

Praying for all..and for dryer weather your way.

jan e

• janet1_2007
    13 years ago

So sorry that your having to deal with such bad weather.. will keep all in my prayers. Janet

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanne, I'm glad your area is okay. I had heard about those teenagers on the news, and felt so sad that the one had lost her life.

Having family in Mo., I always keep an eye on weather reports for the Midwest. Last year and this year have been hard on the farmers for sure with all the rain, and while the temps have been milder, the humidity levels sure aren't!

Let's hope our government can see that the victims of these floods need some disaster assistance just the same as hurricane victims do. So often I feel that certain areas get overlooked because they aren't the type to be on the media yelling and demanding help--they often just "suck it up" and pitch in to help each other clean up and carry on! (off my soapbox now!)

Take care,

Luvs

• jaybird
    13 years ago

I with Luvs on the soapbox!!!!
    Jeanne, I'm thankful that you all are okay, and we will pray for the family of the girl who lost her life.
    Hugs to you all,
    J

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

Me too, J! Glad all is well!