Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

I made a cake.

luvstocraft
12 years ago

Had a round paper mache box I'd found while "treasure shopping" last year for 39 cents and a bag of "rose petals" I'd picked up at Dollar Tree--so I decided to make a cake. Had the rest of the supplies on hand as well and just used the glue gun to attach everything. Little DGD was very impressed to discover that the top came off to reveal a "secret hiding place"! LOL It was easy and fun and a tiny bit creative, just what I needed for a pleasant pick me up. Luvs

Comments (23)

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful!! DGD must be very impressed with you! Then to think it comes apart to hid treasures, how delightful! I'll have to look for petals like that as they really make a beautiful box & wonderful gift for a 16th birthday, centerpiece for young woman's bridal shower, Jewel box for senior luncheon etc. TFS Jan

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

WOW! Very creative! ...and a 'shared' pick-me-up!!! Thanks, luvs! Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Oh My, that is REALLY pretty! I can't believe what you did with those petals! Your creativity kicked into high gear on this!

I can't imagine the time and patience to make your cake!
    hugs, Karen

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Luvs...Your cake is so neat and no calories! I love it.

Marylee

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

WOW! Your cake is so pretty...I love it.
    It sure is creative, and you didn't have to turn the oven on!
    I'm glad it was a 'pick me up' for you.
    Did your DGD want to take it home?
    TFS, LUVS

Nana

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karen, it was so easy--just a drop of hot glue on each petal and do rows around the box staggering the petals so they aren't right above each other. Hardest part is matching up the laces and trims because there are many shades of pink. Bet a white one might be easier. ;o)

Jan, you came up with lots of good ideas for them. The petals were in packages in the bridal section. I think mine would look better on a white pedestal and I have some wooden candle holders so just need a wooden plate and some spray paint to make one.

Jeanne, glad it made you smile too. That's what I've always loved about crafting.

Marylee and Nana, you are both right--no calories and no oven heat! LOL

Luvs

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!! Such a lovely color and the flower petals make it look so real!

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Luvs that's beautiful!
    I love the soft pink color. You did an amazing job assebling it with those petals. I like the fact that it can be enjoyed two ways - as a lovely decorative accent and also to hide treasures. I think your DGD will always remember this lovely 'cake'!

jane

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Marlene and Jane, I will probably let DGD select one of her treasures to put inside it--then she can check on it each time she comes to visit! ;o) Do you gals agree that I should make a white pedestal for it instead of using the black one?

Luvs

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Luvs, I thought you was on a Roll before I seen this post!!! It's gorgeous and I love it on the black cake plate. Your beautiful doiley wouldn't show up as well on a white one. It looks great with your candle beside it too.

Bet DGD will have alot of fun with this project. Just to cute.

Punk

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Luvs.. while the Black is a nice dramatic contrast...
    I think the white would just give it a softer look...
    It's really a matter of preference in the look you want while displayed.
    I was reading what you said about your DGD putting a treasure in it to check on ea time she visits.
    Last week I was with some friends and we were talking about the nice things we remembered about our Grandparents. One friend said she remembered her DGF would always put a small treasure or treat in a little box he kept in his closet and how fun it was to find it ea time they visited.
    She said 'here I am 56 yrs old, and to this day I remember that and smile' !!

Luvs..now think of the special memories you will be making for your DGD too.

jane

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Punk, I didn't do all these things on one day--just took awhile to get the pics posted!

Jane, thanks for sharing that story. You just never know what things will really stick in a child's mind do you? Quick story. DH always put his pennies from his pockets into a big, heavy glass jar. Little GD always liked to play with them. He told her that when she was big enough to carry the jar to the living room, she could have all of them. Now she was only four at the time and everytime she came over, she would try to carry the jar. One day I went into the bedroom and she had the jar at the foot of the bed. She said "Gramma,could we just leave it here until the next time I come over?" Well, the end of the story is that she is now a big seven year old and this last weekend, that jar made it to the living room. I told Grandpa it was time to give it to her and he agreed. I'm hoping she will remember this special gift from her Grandpa when she grows up--she certainly worked hard to get it! :o)

Luvs

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Luvs, what a sweet story. I'm sure you're right about your DGD remembering this special gift and like you said - How she worked for it ...lol, and how cute that she wanted to leave it on the bed till nextime. Clever little girl, at such a young age, knowing she had made it that far and didn't want it to go back and have to start over...
    TFS that sweet story..I'm still smiling over it.

jane

• janet1_2007
    12 years ago

Luvs, you surely have been on a creative roll. I love the "cake"--what a neat gift for SGS. Thanks for sharing the story about the pennies, It was good that he gave them to her now, rather than you having to do it later, A good memory of Grandpa.I am happy for you about getting a Hobby Lobby, seems like they carry more decorative things than Michaels. I"m so tired tonight, I"m not going to post on each individual post, but I do love all you have been doing. Janet

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Luvs, the story about the penny jar is wonderful. I agree with everything Jane said about it. ;o)
    Not only will your DGD have a wonderful memory about it, and how she 'earned' it...but its also a memory YOU will carry forever. I hope you took a photo of her with it, its important for both of you to have one.

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Gives a new meaning to the saying, "Pennies from Heaven!" Your DH shared a very precious gift of memorable times w/Gr'pa! Love your story...thank you. Jeanne S.

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

LUVS Your name should be MIDAS everything you touch turns to gold !!

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

What a pretty cake and as has already been said, no calories and no hot kitchen!
    I'm sure DGD is thrilled to have a secret hiding place for treasures! It would look very pretty on a white pedestal, but depending on the table, it looks very dramatic on the black one.

Great idea!!

TFS,
    Candy

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Minnie tx, how wonderful to hear from you! And what a nice compliment. How are you doing? Are you still active over on the Garden Junk forum where I first "met" you? Did you finally get that fantastically full craft room of your's all cleared out?

Thanks Candy, I'm glad you enjoyed seeing my little project. I'll get around to putting another pedestal together one of these days maybe then I'll have "options". ;o)

Luvs

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

What a pretty cake and as has already been said, no calories and no hot kitchen!
    I'm sure DGD is thrilled to have a secret hiding place for treasures! It would look very pretty on a white pedestal, but depending on the table, it looks very dramatic on the black one.

Great idea!!

TFS,
    Candy

• kathleen_li
    12 years ago

What a sweet idea! It came out great. You are very creative!

• milosmom_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful and so creative Luvs.
    I can totally see it as a nice addition for a bridal/baby shower to.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the nice compliments Candy, Kathleen, and MM. It was an easy fun project--making things just makes me feel good. Luvs

Sponsored
More Discussions