Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I get lucky shopping today!

Posted by valleymagpie (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 0:13

Hi everyone,

The past weeks have been so hot that I haven't been shopping much. But today was just like a breezy, perfect fall day, high 70º, and 92 sales advertised in the paper!

I bought significant things only at two places, one large rummage sale and the Goodwill As-Is Store. But to DH's chagrin, I loaded up on home and garden magazines (I always find some projects for him LOL!!)

I found these wonderful things at the rummage sale:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Eight vintage napkins and border tablecloth, a smaller tablecloth, and the bright red cloth which is new, but looks handmade because of the hem. All four for 60¢!

Then my favorite of the day--these perfect little "brick" cardboard houses, complete with the "Made in Japan" stamp on the bottom. They have a hole in the back for a Christmas light and cellophane in the windows. Even the cellophane is intact, except for a tiny rip in one window, they are in such good condition. Funny, when I was a kid "Made in Japan" was considered junk... she charged me 10¢ for all three!

Photobucket

The quilted table runner is about 7 feet long and is perfect for my lodge-y decor. Only 25¢.

Photobucket

And for good measure, this perfect condition Kitchenaid hand mixer (looks brand new) for $1.00.

Photobucket

At the Goodwill store I bought these crocheted snowflakes for 75¢ and the dish sets were $1.00 each. DH always sighs when I bring in more dishes (I may post the great new shelf he has made in the basement) but how can I resist at $1.00 a set?

Photobucket

Photobucket

I've seen some of your great buys lately, seems like we're getting into the Christmas (shopping) spirit!

- Magpie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I get lucky shopping today!

Magpie,

You scored big and such good buys. I'm looking forward to your Christmas tables with all your beautiful linnens. Love the table runner and it will go great with your lodge-y decor. I have snowflakes and bells like those DM made and still use them. You have a nice variety of them.

Cute little brick houses. Do you have a special place in mind for them?

Great buy on your KA Mixer. Both sets of dishes will match anything you want to put with them. Hope you will have more time to spend here now.

Punk

o

Neat finds, Magpie! Love the Christmas linens. Hey, your new white plates will go great with them too! Cute little houses too. You sound happy, glad you had such a fun day. Luvs

o

That was a successful shopping trip! Those little brick houses are adorable for a village vignette. And the quilted tablerunner is wonderful. You got a lot of neat things, and little money spent. Way to go!!

hugs, Karen

o

Oh My Magpie!!
I'm hyperventilating!!
I love the Vintage Tablecloths and napkins...
They are SO nostalgic. I have the same brick houses, and gave some away..grrr I agree about the Japan lable..but compared to today...they were of better quality.
Love the table runner, I can see that in your home..
The white dishes are great and versatile, and
nice score on that Kitchenaid!
You had a very productive day out..I see you smiling from here!

jane

o

Magie. what great finds! The quilted table runner is my favorite, but I love it all, Are the white dishes Pfaltzgraff Heritage. I found 6 plates and 8 salads at GW last week and they look like the same thing. You got a better deal mine were $5, but that sure beats the heck out of the retail prices on their website. I have bunches of the snowflakes that I have crothceted over the years. sometimes I use the; sometimes not. I have never seen a hand Kitchen Aid mixer, wasn't even aware they made them, but I"m sure you will enjoy it. I love my KA stand mixer. Can't wait to see how you use all your grea6t finds. Janet

o

Man. Those were incredible prices! A like-new Kitchenaide Mixer for $1! Dishes for $1 a set! I bet you were thrill driving home. You did very well.

MV, I have the tablecloth on the right. It was my mother's. I bet it's 60 years old if it's a day.
Photobucket

o

Punk,
I have been collecting snowflakes for awhile and have made a few. I have two large paned windows in the family room where I would like to put them, but I have to figure out a way to keep them up there--some kind of removable adhesive. I haven't decided what to do with the houses yet, but they're so cheerful in their red-and-white colors. It will be fun to figure that out.

Luvs and Karen,
I had a GREAT day. So many times you go to a sale or TS and there's nothing exciting there. It's doubly terrific to get great stuff at a great price! Karen, think how wonderful the table runner will look on my dark-stained plank dining table! Oops, I forgot that DH didn't build it yet...

Jane,
I'M the one who hyperventilates when I look at the pictures of all your wonderful vintage things! Your Halloween display was wonderful!
I never thought I would love these vintage '40s and '50s things; my mom had so many when I was growing up, but she hadn't a nostalgic bone in her body and tossed out everything with the slightest bit of wear--even our beloved old Christmas stockings (which I saw in an antiques store on the web for about $18 apiece). But now I love the designs and get excited when I can buy them at a cheap price.

Janet,
The dishes are "Federalist Ironstone" made in Japan, but I have seen many similar to them. I am a sucker for anything made in US or Japan because they're better quality than what is manufactured today (at least the ones I can afford). And I just love old stuff...

OA,
Yes, I even had to babble all about it to DH! What a coincidence that you have the same tablecloth. This one has a small area that has a yellow age stain, but I have some other things with those stains and I will experiment with those to see if I can hit upon a method to get it out. At any rate, I can use it on a long buffet table (up against a wall) because the stain is all on one half. I really love the pattern.

- Magpie

o

Magpie...my mother used to use Lemon Juice for those yellow stains... a 'Tip from Heloise' !

I also found some other tips that might be helpful ;

Homemade Ways to Eliminate Yellow Stains From Clothing
There are probably several products laying around your home that can be used for removing yellow stains from clothing. Homemade products are often as effective as store bought products, however, since homemade products are less controlled it is also easier to cause permanent damage to the clothing. Be sure to test any homemade product on an inconspicuous area before applying directly to the yellow stain.

Mixture of Baking Soda, Peroxide, and Water
A mixture of baking soda, peroxide, and water applied directly to the yellow stain will remove it. Mix equal parts of baking soda, peroxide, and water in a small container. Apply the mixture to the stain and use a bristle brush to rub the mixture in to the fabric. Allow it to sit for thirty minutes to an hour depending on the severity of the stain and wash as normal.

Denture Tablets
Denture tablets can brighten yellow stains on light or dark clothing. Dissolve two to four denture tablets in a bucket of water. Set the stained clothing inside the water for eight to twelve hours. Remove the clothing and wash as normal.

White Vinegar and Salt
Mix a half a cup of white vinegar with half a cup of salt in a bucket of water. Place the clothing inside the mixture and stir for at least thirty minutes. Remove the clothing and wash as normal.

Toothpaste
Toothpaste can be applied directly to a yellow stain to brighten it. Rub the toothpaste over the entire stained area with a bristle brush until the stain is lifted. Once the stain is removed, wash the clothing to remove the toothpaste.

Lemon Juice
Lemon juice brightens yellow stains on white and light colored clothing. Apply pure lemon juice to the entire stained area and let the clothing sit in the sun for an entire day. As soon as you bring the clothing inside, wash as normal by hand or in a washing machine to remove the lemon juice
Good luck...

jane

o

Jane,

Thank you so much! I had never heard of using toothpaste or the denture tablets. I had at least heard of using vinegar and peroxide, but didn't know the formulas. And I'd heard of the lemon juice and sunshine trick. Glad to know how to do it, lemons are $1 apiece here! Coming from Southern California, where people foist lemons on you like zucchini (--and we did our share of "foisting," since we had three lemon trees), it's really hard to pay $1 for a lemon. Now that I know the method I won't feel like I might be wasting my money.

I'll let you know how these things works--as I told OA I have several things, including a napkin that was folded in with my vintage poinsettia ones that I can experiment on.

Thanks again for the advice!

- Magpie

o

Magpie, the little suction cup hooks work but you see them. I always use Simple Green to remove old oil or grease stains so if Jane's doesn't work might be worth a try. I have an old tablecloth of DH's GM that I need to remove some from. Thanks for bringing this up and let us know if you get them out, please.

OA, I love it that you have a matching tablecloth from your DM and was able to give an age to it.

Punk

o

Magpie..
I'll be looking forward to seeing how it works..and which one you tried out.
I guess like Punk, there are many of us here with stains to be removed form one thing or other. I have tried lemon juice, in the past to remove a stain, and it did work.
But then there are DIFFERENT kind of stains.

Punk, I agree about OA's tablecloth and knowing just how old it it...what a treasure!

jane

o

Wow, you had a great GS'ing day! I love everything you found! Those vintage t'cloths are Christmasy cheerful...along with all the linens you found. (ahh, the stains just make me know it's been loved & used) I really like the white dishes, too...they will be wonderful for many uses in t'scaping. Great find on that runner, too.. around here we call that "Up North" (for Minnesota) decor...the colors are perfect. I'd say you scored big time! TFS & looking forward to seeing some displayed over the holidays ahead. Jeanne S.

o

Yes, you did get lucky.
My favs are the table runner and the white dishes, but everything else is great also.

TFS,
Candy

o

Jeanne and Candy,

I can hardly wait to get a real table (we're using a kitchen butcher block table now) so I can put that runner to its full potential. Jeanne, that is so cute, "Up North" decorating. Yes, that is the look I am trying for, minus the mosquitoes and humidity! I hope I can live up to everyone's anticipation of a great tablescape...

- Magpie

o

What great finds!!

I love days like that.

creativeangel
(aka wandaredhead)

o

Big score! I especially love your new Christmas table linens and that wonderful lodge-feel table runner. I can't wait to see a table set with that, Magpie!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here