Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christmascandy

Faux Granite countertop thanks to GW

christmascandy
12 years ago

I saw a posting on the Home Decorating page about a Before and After that showed a faux painted granite countertop.

I decided to try it at our rental unit as practice before I try it at my home.

This is the result:

I used Rustoleum countertop paint first, then faux painted with craft paint, then used the Envirotex Lite bought at Michaels with a 40% off coupon.

It does dry to a high gloss shine.

I took one pic w/o the flash to try to show the gloss.

The Rustoleum had to cure for 3 days and the Envirotex also needed 3 days, but was mostly dry to the touch after 1 1/2 days.

Since the countertop before was a lovely shade of blue, I am very happy with how it turned out. In fact, my DH had the carpet cleaners there and had to tell them not to touch the countertop as it was still drying and they thought it was granite!

I didn't have the camera to take a before, but DH took a video, and tells me he will be able to capture a stll photo from that, so I will post a "before" later. LOL

TTFN,

Candy

Comments (20)

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Candy...I LOVE how your counter turned out!
    It does look like the 'Real Thing'.
    We bought the faux granite paint from Home Depot for my laundry room counter. They had to mix a special paint with a color we chose, for the final finish. We haven't done it yet..(building up the courage).. I really like how yours turned out, especially the 'high gloss' finish which makes it look really substantial.
    Did you have to 'sponge' the pattern on? I've seen that technique done and I'm wondering how you went about doing yours. I like that yours doesn't look like a repeat patern..and is very natural.
    You did an Excelent Job!
    jane

• kathleen_li
    12 years ago

That's amazing!

• sameboat
    12 years ago

OH WOW! That really is amazing. Is it painted on plain old formica? How long did it take you to do that and were there many steps involved?

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Gosh, that looks great! You really did a nice job, candy! Jeanne S.

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everybody.
    The rustoleum is thick and sticky and took a couple hours to paint, 3 days to cure.

The faux painitng took several hours. I used a sea sponge, brushes, and feathers to get the look I wanted. There wasn't any pattern, I just free handed until I got the look I wanted. I used regular craft paints. Browns, tans, gray, cream, gold, and black.

Then I mixed the Envirotex Lite according to the directions, it is a 1 to 1 ratio. It is also very thick and sticky. I used a foam roller and foam brush to spread it after I poured it on, but it is so thick a sqeegee might have worked. It sticks to the vertical surfaces but does run a bit so you have to keep smoothing it up for a while. Then let it cure for 3 days, although it was fairly hard after 1 1/2 days. I spent most of Wed. doing the faux painting and the Env. Lite coat. If you get some bubbles use a hair dryer to make them go away.

reno_fan posted the original idea on the Home Decorating page that I saved in my clippings so I could try it.

I really like the result.

Candy

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, it is painted over blue formica.

Much improved, LOL
    Candy

• oldalgebra
    12 years ago

That is amazing! You are one talented gal.

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

Amazing faux painting job Candy, you should be very proud of yourself, it turned out beautiful. Luvs

• valleymagpie
    12 years ago

Candy,

Your counter looks almost identical to the granite counter we had in our townhouse! What an improvement. I understand that this is a rental unit, where are you going to do it in your own house?

I'll be looking forward to another great job there. Make sure to show us!

- Magpie

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

Amazing Candy.
    All I can say is WOW!!!
    NanaK

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

WOW! Can't believe how beautifully that turned out...you'd never know it was painted! You did a great job!

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Candy, thanks for going over all the steps.
    I've seen others do this with the technique you used (sponge/feather) and it did not come out anywhere as nice as yours. You painted it to such a natural pattern.
    So give yourself a 'Pat On The Back' for doing a Superb job!..
    jane.

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

WOW! That says it all.

Marylee

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

This is an awesome painting job. Love the beautiful shine. Your a wonderful painter and this doesn't surprise me at all. I still remember your jeep and dresser you shared.

Punk

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everybody!!

I was practicing on this one as I want to do it on the countertop in the main bathroom at my home.

Now I have the courage to try it at home and DH gave the OK after seeing how it turned out.

I am having a baby shower for youngest DD soon, so it won't happen until after that day as I have too much to do to get ready for the shower and too many other time commitments to have the time to paint it now.

The rustoleum paint is made for Formica, but it was just one color. That was better than the blue, but not what I wanted. I know there are countertop paint kits, but they are fairly expensive, and I wanted something that I created. Especially after seeing the one on the Home Decorating page.

The rustoleum paint was less than $30 and the Envirotex Lite was $32.99, but I had a 40% off coupon, and I have craft paint for all my projects, so it was not that expensive to do this project.

TTFN,
    Candy

• janet1_2007
    12 years ago

Candy, I tried to post on this the other night, don't know what hapened, but it sure got lost. I love your new bathroom counter, It really looks like the" real stuff". I really think you did a fantastic job, but like Punk said we have already seen what you can do. You are one talented girl. I am wondering if it would hold up on kitchen counters. If I knew it would I would try it on mine since my cabinets are in bad need of a facelift. Let me know what you think. TFS Janet

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Janet,
    I am attempting to post the link that reno_fan posted on the Home Decorating page.
    The original poster said it has been a couple of yrs and it is her kitchen counter and it is holding up well.

http://generalsplendour.blogspot.com/2011/02/ambush-makeover-my-formica-countertops.html

I hope this works.

TTFN,
    Candy

• janet1_2007
    12 years ago

Thanks Candy. I may try that, probably not until the garden is done. I'm sure canning would be hard on it. But it is definately something that I would like to try. Thanks for the link Janet

• maximavswife
    12 years ago

Echoing everyone else, AMAZING transformation! The countertop looks fanatastic! Wonderful work of art on your part!

Kath

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Ok Miss Rembrandt, I am pretty much speechless here!!!
    So DITTO on all the others said.
    hugs, Karen

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions