Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

my mantle and sideboard decor

Purplemoon
13 years ago

I decided to put my new purchase-old rabbit wall sconces in my entry way above the antique

sideboard. I found two tiny candle holders at DT that picked up the colors in the painting as well as in the sideboard to sit on top of them. Brown n gold. The hurricane trio is the new set I found at Kirklands for $19.99. The lady walking the greyhound I found in Touch of Class catalog two years ago.

I'm working on my first-ever beach themed decor. The mantle in my family-room.

Shells are in the tall hurricane, beach glass in the smaller one. Some stuff is recent Goodwill finds.

The pelican and seagulls are from DT. Some shells my DH brought me back from FL when he visited his Mom a few weeks ago. The tall wood hurricane thing on the far right I tried to create a little ocean scene in. A clear glass fish and sand from Michaels...plus I saw on a craft site if you take dead twigs, or small dead plant roots and spray them, they sort of resemble seaweed and coral. I can't find any real coral, unless I go to a fish store and pay big bucks. :o(

{{gwi:1429847}}

one of my purple starfish I just ordered. And a tiny shell wreath from TJMaxx. I need to figure out how to make the candleholders look more 'beachy'.

{{gwi:1429848}}

the two little plant in shell things came from Michaels.

Glass fish came from Goodwill.

{{gwi:1429849}}

{{gwi:1429850}}

I still am working on a few more craft or decor beach ideas I found browsing google.

hugs, Karen

Comments (14)

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The last few days I've been looking at Seahorse figurines,
    as the real (dried) seahorses make me sad to see. I finally ones I really liked, tho they are actually an S&P set. (shhh, no one will know, LOL). I just ordered these.
    {{gwi:1429851}}

Oh, and I apologize to those with dial-up for the size of some of my photos. I just now saw that I neglected to resize some of them properly.

hugs, Karen

• creekdweller
    13 years ago

Karen it is so beautiful. Amazing how you brought everything together from so many sources. Great Job! The lady walking the greyhound is the most-est.LOL I see you like dogs too.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Karen..you created wonderful Vignettes with your new purchases! You found the right spot for your Rabbit Scounces beside your sideboard. Everything compliments each other so well. The Kirkland hurricanes add a nice balance to your Lady walking the greyhound..she's a beautiful piece.
    What a nice beach arrangement on your mantel. You've collected so many pretty pieces for it. I see you got the 'purple star fish' you fell in love with...lol
    I agree with the sea horses..and I think the S&Ps you found will fit in perfectly!
    You're having waaaay too much fun Karen with all your new goodies.. and I enjoy see it all too.

jane

• janet1_2007
    13 years ago

Karen. Love, love your entry way. Those huricanes are stunning in the arangement with the woman walking the dog. I also like your sea scape. You did a great job on the containers of sand and shells. Like you I would rather have the salt and paper sea horses than something that had to die before it could be used. I thought about the "cow" chalange, but the only cow things that I coulld think of was 2 coffee mugs and a refrig magnet my friend brought me from
    Wisconsin. Now if it was pigs, I could handle that. When the country craze started and everyone was into cows and roosters, I remarked to some of the gals I worked, that you couldn't get more country than an old hog. That year for Christmas I got pigs from all of them. I even got a dough roller with pigs on it and a jar of honey that had a pig label. My daughter-in law has a lot of cowaboy things==they have horses and even decorated their sons nusery in a cowboy theme, but I don't have any cowboy themed things either...wouldn't denium placemats . with red or blue bandana hankerchifs for napkins be cute.. and little rope napkin rings .. or barbwire? You"ve got my imagination going tonight. Hugs, Janet

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Oh, I just love the antique sideboard vignette! The painting is wonderful & the hurricane trio looks like it came with the sideboard! The woman walking the dog is perfect, too! And those original rabbit wall sconces found a perfect home!

Your beach themed decor looks so pretty with all your glassware...and I think those glass candles are perfect as they are! I like the idea of the ocean scene in one of your covered hurricane jar! Reminds me of the beautiful apothecary jars you decorated for other holidays.

And I don't think your pics are too large, of course, I havent' been on d-up for yrs...but I would like to see your mantle even closer! You've got a great "collection" going here! TFS! Jeanne s.

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Karen, you have so many nice things! My first thot was that I sure hope those greyhounds don't see your adorable rabbit sconces or they'll chase them right off the wall! We once had a greyhound so I know how fast they can run. Don't mind me, I should be asleep! :-D

Your seahorse s&p figurines are very cute and will be a great addition to your mantle. I don't think your candleholders need anything, they are lovely. I like the little dioramas you've done in your apothecary jars. Nicely done.

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Gang. You always make me feel so good about my decorating.

Janet, cute pig story. Would you believe Oldalgebra actually did a pig table! LOL. She's the one I think who started us on these crazy off-holidays. Its amazing what all is "celebrated", I had to look on google and find out since I'm curious as a cat.
    I've got photos of past tables in one of our Inspiration albums, check out the neat Western ones a bunch of the gals did. Sounds like your DIL has plenty of stuff you could borrow....lol.

Oh, here's a close-up of my lovely lady statue.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: table settings

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Karen, you've been a busy decorator! The sconces and candleholder trio worked out perfectly in your entry decor. I love the lady walking the dog figurine also, so graceful.

Looks like you've been having fun creating and arranging your beachy themed mantle. It's fun to be able to change things out isn't it? Your's is coming along nicely, can't wait to see what else you are working on.

Luvs

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Love, love, love the entryway vignette (maybe because I have that same print, that lady is just wonderful, love her colors too. I have one, but I think her dogs are wolfhounds. The Kirkland candle holders are beautiful and just your colors. Your mantle is very beachy for someone in the middle of the dessert. I really like the birds in the jars. The sea horses will be perfect too.
    Frou

• jaybird
    13 years ago

LOL Luckygal!!
    Karen you have been working pretty hard...and it is all lovely!! The figurine is beautiful as are the candle holders...heck, all of it is perfect!
    Thanks for posting!
    J

• valleymagpie
    13 years ago

Karen,

As usual, your vignettes are just great. I love the glass and metal (?) candle holders and since no one has answered this, I think you could make them look VERY beach-y by painting the tops and bottoms with light turquoise or green paint (the color of your figurine's dress would be perfect). How cool would that look in your Phoenix summers? (In case you have Oregon envy, it's been in the high nineties for the past week)...

I always love how you put together so many diverse items...a skill (and art) I am trying to learn.

- Magpie

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Karen, The entryway looks beautiful, love the lady walking the greyhound, and the beachy theme is really cute.

I tried to upload & post my summer tablescape last nite(finally had a few free minutes) and a huge storm came up & knocked out our power til 2 a.m. and not just our town but about 5 towns around us!

So, maybe I'll get a chance later tonite, seems there is NO free time for me anymore!!!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Karen~

I think I need to come for an extended visit and bring some empty suitcases with me! 8D

LOVE everything you have in your display...your figurine is just perfect! The seahorse S&P is just too cute and all of the candleholders, seashells, etc. are just wonderful. You have such a great selection of decoratives.

• bonnieann925
    13 years ago

Very pretty Karen. I really like the hurricane and the versatility they offer. You will get lots of mileage out of those!

Sponsored
More Discussions