Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

OT Iowa Hollyhocks in California

luvstocraft
12 years ago

Jeanne, the Hollyhocks are so beautiful! They grew so lush and are just filled with blooms! And look how high they've grown! I already have plans to plant some more over by the block wall in the corner. This big guy is starting to lean a bit, should I drive a piece of rebar in the ground and tie him up? I just love their pretty pink color against my blue shed--they make me smile. ;o)

Luvs

{{gwi:1429007}}

{{gwi:1429009}}

Comments (21)

• maximavswife
    12 years ago

Oh Luvs, the color is just perfect against the light blue! I have just started to appreciate hollyhocks as I found a volunteer in my garden. It is a dark, almost black one. I would just love to add more especially lime your beautiful pink one. Do you know what it's name is so I can look for it here?
    Kath

• janet1_2007
    12 years ago

Luves, that is just gorgous. I love that shade of pink and it looks so good against your blue building. I don't think I have ever seen one that tall. I have Peaches and cream and a black. If you would like seeds, let me know and I will save you some. Janet

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Oh, that is great, luvs! It's beautiful!!! I feel like I'm in your gardens today w/those pretty pics you've posted! Thank you!

Sometimes I just put whatever I have available to tie them up for awhile...mine are flopping over now, too & need some reinforcement...sometimes I just use branches (I have curly willow available) & sometimes I've used those green covered rebar thingys from Menards or whatever & tie them loosely.

It's very hot in IA...heat wave for this week & dew points about 110 ...humidity in the oppressive levels...ugh...so maybe I'll get some Holiday Forum stuff going (I hope). Miss you all. Jeanne S.

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

Just gorgeous!!

They are a really pretty shade of pink.

TFS,
    Candy

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Oh Luvs, what beautiful flowers. I too love their georgeous pink color.
    I must say, you have an amazing 'green thumb' ... they look so lush and healthy.
    jane

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Stunning! That is the most beautiful color.Several yrs ago I bought a wine color in 1 pkg & lighter pink in 2nd. I planted & nothing happened. Told my neighbor next door that I was really disappointed. Then I noticed down past her house something tall on blvd. We walked down & it was colors I had planted & they were doing great so birds must have thought they would do better there & they did as finally 1 puny 1 did come up & got mildew & died. They needed more sun. I would love to know the color of that 1 you have. I would put it out in middle of my back yard. It really sets off the blue of your shed or rather the blue shed shows them off to the fullest! Lovely Jeanne!

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Your Hollyhocks are beautiful. I love them. They remind me of years ago. We had them when I was growing up. Thank you for sharing.

Marylee

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!! Such a lovely shade of pink! And against your blue shed, they are picture perfect!

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful. I 'luv' Hollyhocks and see them in yards around the neighborhood. I never got brave enough to try planting any since I'm a serial flower killer.

Jan, that is funny the birds moved yours. At least you got to see them, unfortunately not in your yard. Bad, bad birds.

hugs, Karen

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Purplemoon, I was walking by 1 day to get yard sale sign down & I saw how stately they looked out there among the ivy & various plants they have gotten (they are gardeners) when I noticed that 1 dark Hollyhock had a brown seed pod. I picked it & brought it home & was going to plant some of seeds but seemed like every time I was going to ,something happened,phone rang, forgot to water in front,etc. after several times I decided not to plant it. I would just go & visit the neighbors! Sometimes better not to do something as the side yard is only few ft wide & too closed in for Hollyhocks. They need to be seen like Jeanne's beautiful ones! Thanks for sharing the pics with us Luvs!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad all of you enjoyed seeing them. When Jeanne had said she had seeds, it brought back memories for me of growing up on the farms in Missouri. I really wasn't sure if they would do well out here in our hot dry climate or not--but I guess they liked it well enough. No green thumb here, just good soil, water sprinklers, and lots of sunshine! LOL I really wish I had more room, I think I'd love some in every color--but pink is really my favorite! Thanks again for sharing Jeanne.

Luvs

• kathleen_li
    12 years ago

They are gorgeous! I really must try them in the back along the fence.
    How did you hydrangea do this year?

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kathleen, my hydranga did not do good at all, I've got to dig them up and try a better location for them. (Or maybe just buy new ones)

My neighbor was given a nice big one when her Aunt sold her house. She has it in a huge pot and it is just loaded with blooms. She gives me a bloom every now and then and I am so impressed by how long they stay looking nice.

Are your's all in bloom now?

Luvs

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Oh luvs, you're welcome & I'm so thrilled that they grew for you! This is pic I sent last yr...& when I save seed, they are mixed & I called it 'Shades of Pink'...so you grew a very beautiful shade of pink!

{{gwi:163394}}

They are a fun, beautiful old-fashioned flower...& I think of my Gr'ma when I see them in bloom...I'm sorry to say I'm probably going to have to cut my down after this heat wave is over...so hot & humid for so many days...seems like watering can't really keep up here...bummer! But they'll be back next yr! Your pics are beautiful! Jeanne S.

• maximavswife
    12 years ago

>>GASPKath

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Luvs, so glad you posted pics of your Hollyhocks. That last picture is stunning! Looks like it belongs in a magazine. Guess that's what you call picture perfect. Enjoyed seeing yours and Jeanne's tonight. Thanks girls.

Punk

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful Hollyhocks, Luvs.
    The color is beautiful. The one in the last picture looks like it is reaching for the stars!
    Jeanne yours are gorgeous too.
    I'm going to find a spot to plant them in my new little country garden next year.
    TFS

NanaK

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Punk and Nana, glad you enjoyed seeing them. Actually, these are Jeanne's. She shared the seed with me so now I have Iowa hollyhocks in my Calif. yard--cool, huh?

Luvs

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

VERY COOL

• SeasonalDecorating__
    12 years ago

Very pretty, I love hollyhocks : )

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Luvs, I did remember Jeanne sending you the seeds. So glad they grew for you. Hope you have years of enjoyment from them.

Punk

Sponsored
More Discussions