Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creekdweller_gw

Paper Back Book Wreath

creekdweller
13 years ago

Has anyone made these wreaths? I am not a decorator, so suggestions are welcome.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (10)

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I've just seen photos of them, and yours looks REALLY neat.
    I doubt I'd have the patience to make something like this.
    I want "instant and easy results". LOL.

hugs, Karen

• janet1_2007
    13 years ago

creekdweller, I haven't seen the paperback book wreaths, but it reminded me of a project one of my kids did yrs ago in school. They used readers digest magazines with the pages folded to make the belly for a santa . His face was one ofthe plastic ones from a craft store and his top and sleeves and hat were made of felt. We used him at Christmas for a lot of years until he finally crumbled. Wouldn't mindd having another one to go with my santa collection. don't know if I could get it to look right though.. Janet

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Hi Creekdweller and welcome to the forum, it's nice to see new members. I've been MIA because of gardening but like to 'play' here in the winter.

I like your wreath and haven't made one from paperbacks but I know I saved the tutorial from a blog. Another winter project to do.

Thanks for the reminder!

• creekdweller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karen, If I can make it you can. I am a "instant and easy results" too. It didn't take long at all once I got started. I even made one for my Mother. Janet I would love to see your Santa. Do you still have the instructions? I collect Santa's too.

• janet1_2007
    13 years ago

Creek, No I never had the directions. My son mad it in a special clas he was in on HS. (He was in the Gifted and Talented class) They made it at school. I do remember that the pages were folded in halo at an angle from the top corner to make santa' belly. His jacket was cut from red felt and trimed in white felt., as was his hat with a white pom=pom. His face was one of the soft plastic that I have seen in craft shops and he had a black belt made from a plastic material. He had a beard made from white curly doll hair. That's about all I remember, It shouldn't be too hard, just getting the deminisions for the jacket, arm length , ect. Wish I still had him, but somewhere along the way he disappeared. Too many little fingers and time has depleted a lot of my "treasures". That same year he made a Holy Family from Faces, empty pringle cans and material dipped in glue to stiffen it and all spray painted gold. I don't have that anymore either, only the memories. Sorry, whish I could be of more help. I have a large Santa collection, all different kinds and sizes. My Dh has givrn me a santa erery year since we've been married-- a total of 18 and I have been given a lot by my kids for gifts,Besides the ones I have bought. I"m running out of space amd can'y display all of them at one time. Would love to have a bigger house at Christmas time, but that would just mean more vaccuming, dusting and moppin the rest of the year, and that is not one of my favorite pasttimes. How is your wreath made. I love trying different things. Last night my DD and I worked on a grapevine wreath decorated in ivy and white roses to use on a gate for my GD's upcoming wedding. I once saw a t=shirt that had a picture of a man and the saying printrd on it said"I can fix anything, just had me the duck tape" I think we women need one that says" I can make anything, just hand me a hot glue gun" Enjoy your posts and love your pictures. I doubt that I will get a chance to learn to post pics until after my two GC' upcomming weddings in Aug and Sept. I' going to have to get the GC to teach me hoe to post pictures.Love the pics of your creek, Love the sound of running water. Take care & stay cool. Janet

• soinspired
    13 years ago

I would also like the directions to making this wreath! Very interesting. A co-worker bought a Hymnal Angel. Just gorgeous. See instructions here:
    http://synodresourcecenter.org/wma/art/educational/0003/index.html

• creekdweller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Guys, Here is a link that may be helpful. As usual, I did not go directly by the instructions. I made mine a lot bigger and fuller. I think I may have used two whole books. Not sure this is the one I used, but, it seems to turn out the same. I bought my books at a garage sale for twenty cents each. Hint: When buying books, make sure they are the same size, even the lettering, and the page edges are the same color. It does make a big difference.The older the book, to me, the better the color is. Just MHO. http://ppandorasbox.blogspot.com/2009/11/paperback-book-wreath.html

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Interesting post, creek! I am a former Librarian Asst. (but I didn't cry while reading the instructions)! LOL!

This reminds me of a very special wreath I have had for many yrs...handmade by a friend & farmwife ...from corn husks. Here's a pic ...you'll see a "pink stuffed animal, named JT" sitting in the center of it! Please ignore, JT was a traveling critter on the "Junk Train" on the "Garden Junk forum." She enjoyed my place here in Iowa! LOL again!

{{gwi:78526}}

Anyway, enjoyed your post. Jeanne S.

• creekdweller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanne, I love the wreath. I've wanted to ask you several times, where in Iowa do you live? North, South, Etc.? My Daddy and his family are from Clarinda. The south west corner, just north of St. Jo, MO. We have been there several times, for funerals of relatives. Daddy's old home place and house is still there. We were there in 2002, for the only cousin he had left funeral. We took pictures of Daddy on the front porch of the house. Several years prior to that, the lady who lived there let us go through and look around. It really brought back a lot of memories for Daddy. Daddy is 88 now. Has been in the hospital for almost three months. I know you have answered me on the other post. I thank you and everyone for your concerns and prayers.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Thanks, creek...that corn wreath is 25+ yrs old & I am amazed it looks so good yet...it has been hung in many places in my home. I bid on it at a fundraiser at school & the lady who made it is no longer living...so I it is special.

We live in what is called the NE Iowa area...near Cedar Falls/Waterloo (Cedar Valley area). So wonderful that you got pics of your Daddy the last time he was back at his old home place. Three mos. is a very, very long time to be the hospital (I know from experience) & I wish him peace of mind & body & soul as he continues his life's journey...he certainly is a blessed man to have you for a daughter. Hugs to you, Jeanne S.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions