Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

OT....a tough week

Purplemoon
11 years ago

On Tues, I had to say goodbye to one of my beloved Whippets.

Melody was truly one-of-a-kind. I can't even imagine my life without her in it after nearly 13 yrs. She could always make me smile just by looking at her. Such a silly, delightful, special girl. I'm totally heartsick and can't stop crying. On Sunday she was playing with the others and running around the yard (tho she was almost 13, she thought that meant in months...not years!!! She loved to play.

She's had several tumors for some time, but never felt bad at all. Then it was if a switch was flipped and the cancer really hit her late Monday night. She felt bad, and seemed in some pain. There was a large tumor in her abdomen that possibly ruptured.

Taking her to the vet was so hard, coming home without her was harder. I had to sit in parking lot, in hysterics, till they eased enough to drive home. I couldn't stop crying for 2 days.

There will never be a Whippet quite like her. I always told folks if Walt Disney had owned a Whippet, it'd have been Melody. She was a real-life cartoon character!!

hugs, Karen

(the blue color around one eye is from camera for some reason)

Comments (10)

• nana2010_gw
    11 years ago

Awww, Karen I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye your beloved Melody.
    Our pets bring so much joy into our lives.
    It is difficult to lose them
    I'm sure she is out of pain and happy now running around and playing on the other side of Rainbow Ridge.

Nana

• christmascandy
    11 years ago

Karen, so sorry to hear of your loss. I know it is like losing a member of the family. My youngest DD lost a 6 yr. old schnauzer that same way, seemed fine and then just wham!!! The tumor took over and he was suffering and in pain.
    It is small consolation to know they are out of pain, but the hole left in your heart brings you so much heartache.

Please know that your friends here are sending you healing thoughts and sympathy in your loss.

I wish I could give you a big hug in person, but sending it here...
    (((((((HUGS))))))))
    Candy

• milosmom_gw
    11 years ago

((((((Karen))))))
    I'm so sorry. What a grand lady she was.
    I wish I had the words to help ease your pain , but know all to well , there isn't any. :(

• janet1_2007
    11 years ago

I am also sending hugs and good thoughts your way. That seemed to be the same way we lost Miss Kitty, Fine one day the next day she wasn't her self and we took her to the vet. He kept her to watch her for a day or so and then later called to tell us when he came back from lunch , she had died. . Life can be so hard at times. One of my friends just found out last week that her little 6 year old GS had a brain tumor the size of a golf ball in the back lower part of his brain/ He fell off the monkey bars at the playground and she took him to the er thinking he might have a concussion. Imagine her shock when the MRI showed a tumor. He had surgery Monday at Baptist and got to come home night before last for a few days to heal before starting treatments which he will have to have for a year. Everybody please add him and his family to your prayers as it is going to be a long hard road ahead/

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

So sorry about dear Melody my friend. I'm happy that she was not sick for a long time though. Glad she was playing with her dog siblings just days before.

Hugs and love coming to you~

~M

• luvstocraft
    11 years ago

Oh gosh, Karen, I know how much you loved that dog and she had been with you for so many years. Bless her heart, she had such a good home and so much fun with her doggie companions and such a special place in your heart. I'm so very sorry, know you have a big big hole in your heart right now. Hugs, Kay

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words. Yes Kay, I loved her deeply and dearly. Want to share one more photo of her that always makes me smile...
    To Melody, Life was a party and she was the guest of honor, even eating her supper was fun!

hugs, Karen

PS, Janet I'll keep that little boy in my prayers. It sounds like his playground fall might already have been one blessing. Wishing him and his family many more thru this terrible time.

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Oh Karen...sending you a big hug & shoulder to cry on ... always, always such a loss. Melody is so beautiful in your pics ...I am very sorry & hope your others (dogs & cats) are helping you grieve her death...all of you must be missing her so. ~~hugs, Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    11 years ago

Karen, so sad to hear Melody went to Dog Heaven. She was a beautiful one. Love seeing the picture of her bed where dinner was served. Looks like she had a wonderful life with you! I'm not surprised.

Am sending hugs and prayers to help you get through this heartache. Seems like it's one blasted thing after another.Geez..........

Janet, sending hugs and prayers to your DF's little GS too. This is so much for a little one to endure.

Punk

• plainjane425
    11 years ago

Karen...I'm so sorry for your loss of Melody...
    I've been away, and only just got to read this now.
    It's never easy losing a beloved pet..they seem to take a
    piece of your heart with them when they leave.
    Hopefully with time, you'll be able to think of all the
    love and joy you brought to each other. Those wonderful thoughts will help you to smile again.
    You were both so lucky so share a such a good and happy life together ...and
    as hard as it is to say goodbye..she is at peace - in no pain..and left knowing how loved she was.
    Hugs and special thoughts out to you Karen...
    jane

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions