Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations please for depth of mantel shelf?

Posted by rosie (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 12:39

We're putting together our own fireplace mantel from fire-resistant materials because we can't use wood at a reasonable height over the EPA-approved unit we installed (very hot) and can't afford a stone fireplace surround.

So the plan is a marble shelf supported on corbels across the 5-foot fireplace wall (which sticks out 5 inches from the wall on each side), with everything below that tiled, probably matching marble mosaic (creamy white on white in a similar room). I'm looking forward to being able to decorate it with the seasons and have really enjoyed seeing what you guys here do.

So, the question. I'm mocking up a 7" depth, but really should go shallower. What is the least depth you'd want in a mantel? Any comments on what can be accomplished and what not with different depths?

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations please for depth of mantel shelf?

I have a 1700 farmhouse with 6 fireplaces ,I made a few swags ,flowers beautiful that have some beautiful fake flowers now

o

The more depth, the more decorations can go on it.
;o) So I'd say go as deep as you can. My two mantels are just really narrow and hard to decorate the way I'd really love to.

Share photos when yours is done if you can. We love photos here!

o

I think if you post on the home decor side you will get more ideas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here