Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

In Need Of Advice For My Costume

moonwolf_gw
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm having a little trouble with my costume for Halloween this year. I'm going as Cruella De Vil (from the original 1961 film), but I'm having trouble as to finding shoes and even a dress that'll fit me. (I realize I'm being very out there with this decision for a man). My shoe size is 12 wide, so that's why shoes are a problem. The dress problem is more due to my waistline lol, but, I think I'll be able to find something.

I have a cheap wig I got at one of the local dollar stores last year that I'll spray paint white. I'm checking the local thrift stores for the fur coat and purse (I may have to buy fake fur to put on the purse). I saw a few props (the red gloves and the cigarette holder) for sale online. I saw the red shoes, too. The ring and earrings I can look for at the thrift stores, but I'm unsure if the color of them are turquoise or more of a jade color. I also have to I will be doing my own make up as well, so I have to find a pale foundation, a blood red lipstick, and powder. All suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (9)

• party_music50
    10 years ago

Hello Brad -- I know you from the cooking forum. :)

Funny, but I was looking at a costumer's blog last night and she talked about "faking" period shoes... she bought simple cheap shoes that fit the person (like loafers from a thrift store), then cut off stuff she didn't want (like tassles). She glued additional pieces of leather to give the shape she wanted. She even cut out foam board into buckle shapes, painted them gold, and glued them onto the shoe. Think like that: first buy shoes that fit, then use fabric or leather to reshape the shoe or change the shoe color -- either using hot glue to attach it, or even mod podge! search for "mod podge shoes" and you'll see what I mean!

I searched for images of Cruella and I'd say her jewelry was sort of a sea-foam green. :O) Notice that her lovely eyeshadow is a slightly different shade -- more like a soft/light olive green.

If you can't find a dress that fits, maybe you could buy one that's close in size and slit it up the back and add simple ties like they use for closing hospital gowns.

Maybe I'll think of more ideas. HTH!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi party_music50,

Thank you for those ideas. Cruella's shoes seem to be hard to fake, as they have a short heel, but I'll have to look into it and see what I might come up with. I did see the one costume for sale on a Halloween costume website and the dress having either Velcro or ties in the back. They offer red heels up to size 14, so maybe a pair would fit, but they're a little pricey.

Sea-foam green. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I go to the thrift stores and look at jewelry :-). Light olive green eyeshadow it will be then. I just really hope I can go through with my costume.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• party_music50
    10 years ago

Brad, I wouldn't worry too much about the heels... there are images where she wears flats. :)

I miss the days of costume parties!!! My best ever was a last-minute costume as the Pillsbury Dough Boy. I wore white pants and shoes, put on my Dad's white shirt backwards, then padded the stomach with a blown-up garbage bag! I wore a white chef's hat with a Pillsbury cut-out on it, and made up my face accordingly. I had the giggle down pat and everyone spent the entire night poking me in the stomach just so they could hear me laugh. LOL!!!!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL well, that certainly sounds like a costume that was a huge hit, indeed.

I really hope that there is a party I can go to this year. Maybe I'll see what some of my friends are doing for Halloween and we can plan our own party.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• blizlady
    10 years ago

I agree with party music that if you can't find heel, just flats may work. And if you can find any type of low heel in any color that fits you, spray paint them because it is just for a costume. And as far as the dress, as long as you are going to wear a fur, the back-side of the dress will be hidden if you can't zip or button it closed.

• swest2_gw
    10 years ago

Sounds like fun. Is there a party theme? What a great idea for a costume!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

blizlady, Thank you! I'm still searching for the various items for my costume. I may not find a fur coat until around Halloween, since it's cooler weather and all. I'll keep my eyes open for a pair of heels. What kind of paint do I use?

swest2, No, there's no party theme, except a Halloween party, if I can find one or have one put together.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found the earrings and ring for Cruella :-). I got both of them at Wal-Mart. The ring stretches and the earrings I'll have to convert into clip-ons. I had to take extra beads off of the earrings, and now they look just right!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought the eyeshadow and spray on temporary hair color (white) today and I just started spraying the wig. Has anyone done this with success?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro
More Discussions