Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximavswife

And so it begins

maximavswife
12 years ago

DH and I spent last weekend packing things up and moving furniture in anticipation of the new floors going being installed next week. I am almost embarrassed to show the before of our "formal" living room. There is nothing "formal" about it. The only items we purchased new are the 2 chairs and small table between them. The rest are garage sale/ thrift store items. The little table to the left may have to stay as the puppy likes to hide under it when there are storms or he needs alone time :) The loveseat will be craiglisted this weekend. I usually have the tabletops set up with seasonal vignettes but they have been packed away for now and I hope to set up new vignettes once we figure out if we will get a buffet table or a china hutch. The pictures don't really show how big the room actually is. Not to worry though! I will make the table and other decor fit by golly :) The floors were delivered last night and we are letting them aclimate. DH is almost done dismantling his office furniture and all spare rooms upstairs that will not be getting wood floors are stuffed full. I will post more project pictures as things move along.

{{gwi:1426206}}

{{gwi:1426208}}

Kath

Comments (9)

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

I know it will be a mess for a while, but how fun when you get it done!! I like the 2 matching chairs and the table between.

If you don't like the "puppy shelter" table, you could put a round top and table cloth on it. Those are always showing up in decorating magazines.

What color is the wood for the floor?

Just remember the light at the end of the tunnel when you are going through the mess.

Are you having it done or doing it yourself?

Let the fun begin!

TFS,
    Candy

• maximavswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are having them installed. DH thought about doing it himself but then he started thinking about taking up the carpet and tack strips and then the transitions and taking all of the baseboard off and putting it back up and he realized it could take him weeks to do it. The installers say it should take them less than 3 days to do it all.
    I have included the link to the one we chose. Although, IRL, it is browner/ redder (if that makes any sense at all lol!).
    Yes! The fun has begun lol!
    Kath

Here is a link that might be useful: Kath's floor choice

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Your new floor is going to look stunning!! Yes, it will be a mess for a few days, but when you get to put things back in and see just how wonderful it looks, you're going to be doing a big 'ol happy dance!

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

Oh I would dearly love to have hardwood floors in the formal areas - one day ~sigh~ Can't wait to see the final result of your project. As for the 'puppy' table - PAINT - with the darker floors it would just pop and could end up being a focal point. I am a flea market junkie and never met a can of paint I didn't like - it can do wonders to change the look of a piece of furniture .....

Lynne

• maximavswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lynne,
    I have not met a can of paint I didn't like LOL. We have to keep a cloth over the puppy table so that he can hide from the mean ole thunder. Of course, he will bite the tires of the lawn mower while it's running and same with the tiller (he is now kept inside when using either of these tools) but get out a broom or a feather duster and he is one scardeded puppy lol! But your suggestion makes me think, I will be on the lookout for a darker cloth so that it blends in with the floors and is not so noticable.

Kath

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

Looks like you are on the way, Kath, and I know you are excited to get going on your project. So cute about your little doggy needing a hiding place from that mean ol thunder! ;o) Luvs

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Kath, how exciting. I know it will change the 'whole look' of things. I can't wait to see it finished!

With any luck you will inspire me too. I've long thought I'd like to take up the carpet and have wood floors. I even went so far as to pick out the color I want. But everytime I thought of all my china cabinets and STUFF to move, it overwhelms me. Right now there is tile in bathrooms and kitchen, wood in entry way and hall, and rest is carpet.
    I've always had carpet and not sure if I'd miss it in some rooms. So I will be following your changes with great interest.

hugs, Karen

• maximavswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karen,
    I look at projects such as this one as a few days (or weeks as was the case when we tiled the kitchen and breakfast eating area ourselves) of hard work and upheaval for a lifetime of pleasure as the payoff :) I know it will be so worth it in the end! I did have to pack up my china cabinet and put away all my chotzkies and lug them to th basement so I know what you mean lol. The installers will be here at 9:30 tomorrow morning. I'll update you all in how day 1 went :)

Kath

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Oh, good luck, maxi...looks like a wonderful beginning to a perfect ending!!! Yes, please keep us informed! All your hard work will pay off! TFS! Jeanne S.

Sponsored
More Discussions