Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

It's Circus Day.

oldalgebra
14 years ago

On this day in 1884, Ringling Brothers Circus gave its first performance.

I knew I'd be watching the grandchildren tonight, so ......

{{gwi:1425269}}

The tablecloth is a fabric piece from a church bazaar. I used a jar dipped in yellow paint to make the circles.

Balloon centerpiece was copied from a picture I saw on the internet.

Candles are my Christmas pillars atop upside down stemware (an idea recently posted here on the forum).

{{gwi:1425270}}

Dinner plates were found last summer at a yard sale. This is the first time IÂve used them. Got the salads too, but there were only two of them. All six for $5.

Napkins holders are childrenÂs plastic juice cups. If I had some of those dishes that look like ice cream cones, I would have used them instead. Every summer I say IÂm going to buy a set.

Place cards were made from a graphic on the internet.

{{gwi:1425271}}

The small figures are part of a box of leftover junk I used when teaching an animation class in middle school. I gave them to my grandchildren. Last week I made the children go through their toys and bring me "all the people and circus animals you can find." I went out and bought a clown. WhatÂs a circus without a clown???

The yellow booklets tied to the backs of the chairs (top pic) are circus pages I found on the internet: dot-to-dots, word searches and coloring pages. Animal crackers are meant for tomorrowÂs lunch boxes.

Everyone wore a clown nose at dinner.

{{gwi:1425272}}

CIRCUS FOOD MENU:

Chicken on a stick (I have a grandchild who doesnÂt like hot dogs.), corn on the cob, a watermelon slice, lemonade in a box, and a vanilla ice cream cone.

Then, off to watch Dumbo.

Comments (8)

• dining_delight
    14 years ago

OA, another History lesson...how terrific! I am learning so much on this forum and it is nice to have these tibits of "trivia" to let DH know, its not just about tables/dishes! LOL! First off, what a WONDERFUL grandma you must be! I'm sure your gkids were thrilled with this circus tablescape. So much detail and thought put into it and it turned out fantastic! It looks very circus-y. So cute with the small table/chairs too. Nice touch with the menu and take-home favours as well. Great job!

DD

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

You are such a cool grandma!! Love the table and I'll bet you're little ones were delighted with all the wonderful details of their special dinner. This table is truly a keeper!
    Lynn

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

That is adorable..Love all the details..I bet they loved it too! What a fun table, Nana!

• mo13
    14 years ago

OA,
    Your circus day table is sooo cute! The table, all the circus details, the dishes are all perfect. I bet it was a hit with your grand kids too. Love the place card idea.

Mo

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

OA,

You are a kick in the pants and this is wonderful. Who else would of known that the Ringling Brothers Circus gave its first performance today in 1884. You win the Grandma Award for teaching and entertaining at the same time. Your GK's are so lucky to have a caring, sharing gma. Your amazingly talented.

Punk

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

OA...I simply love this table, and all the fun stuff!!
    As I was looking at it...I'm wondering just who had more fun with it...You...or the kids ?? I'm sure they were thrilled with all you did...
    I love all the clever ideas you came up with... The tickets, the little booklets on the backs of the chairs..and all the circus people - Including The 'Clown' Yes...you definitely needed the clown...Love - Love - LOve it. I can relate to one of your Gkids not liking Hot Dogs...I've got one too...so you came up with another great idea w/the chicken on a stick. Also, your plates and the food on them look so colorful. Those Christmas Candles worked perfectly into the theme too. Just every detail is so fun. I really enjoyed this. Thanks
    jane

• jaybird
    14 years ago

What a WONDERFUL table!!! You win all the awards at the circus!!!! Thanks for sharing.

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Sorry I'm so late getting to see this, but internet connections have been slow and I'm not a patient person! LOL

This is so cute! Know you and the kids really had fun with it. Love polka dot dishes, going to have to find me some one of these days. How clever of you to use the jar dipped in paint to make the circles on the tablecover. You are very creative. I love every detail! ;o)

Luvs

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions