Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckygal1

Decorating with Mother Nature

luckygal
13 years ago

We're back in Canada (altho not home yet) after seeing the coasts in WA and OR. Saw lots of new things and enjoyed ourselves. Unfortunately I didn't find lots of dish treasures this trip - I didn't see much I wanted and prices seemed high at the thrift stores we went to. Got some good bargains at a yard sale but mostly 'crafty' stuff, not tableware. I haven't taken pics of anything I bot yet but will take and post some later.

Here's a not very good pic of a beach with the waves rolling in. The waves are totally awesome on the coast of Oregon and I don't say that lightly but not easy (for me) to get a pic showing them! We walked many beaches this trip and found a few agates and interesting rocks which I will decorate with and some common blue mussel shells I'll use for a mirror frame with other shells I have.

This is what we saw this morning thru the mountains before we got back to Canada! It was such a surprise to see snow which had obviously just fallen overnight. It was very pretty but hope it's the last we see til late fall.

The trip was great overall except the weather could have been better as it was often rainy and/or strong winds. I don't think from the comments by residents that this was normal weather for this time of year.

We were not connected to internet much as we stayed mostly in state parks which don't have WiFi. We expected this as we learned before we left that the cell ph0ne system we use everywhere in Canada would be very expensive to use in the US. We liked the state parks tho so only stayed in a couple of private RV parks where there is WiFi. I survived internet withdrawal! LOL

Planning on being home tomorrow evening with a mountain of laundry to do! But I'm looking forward to working in my g@rden and maybe even doing a tablescape eventually when I get organized. AND of course trying to catch up with all your threads I've missed.

Comments (10)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Sounds WONDERFUL! What an exciting adventure...to be standing at the ocean in WA & OR! Sounds like you brought home some really GOOD things from the beaches! Enjoy your homecoming! Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

What gorgeous photos. I feel an attack of the Greenie Monster coming! I want to visit Oregon more than any place on earth, but guess that is just going to be a dream since I can't travel. sigh. (my daughter goes twice a year as her in-laws have a huge cabin on a lake!)

Sorry your treasure shopping wasn't as good as you hoped.
    But rocks and agates sound pretty darn good to me. I'm looking forward to seeing what you found at the yard sale!

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Glad to hear you had a wonderful and safe trip.
    It's nice to hear you were able to travel through so many nice places. I love traveling and seeing different parts of the country and your trip gets me 'antsy' to go! lol
    The beach photo is beautiful...as well as the Snowy scene...uggg I hope you're done with it up there.

jane

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Those are beautiful pics, I would love to visit both places. But you can keep the snow for now. I hope we make to retirement so we can travel with our camper on longer trips. Sounds like a fun trip.
    Frou

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Such pretty pictures! I'm not surprised about the snow--both Punk in Montana and Belle in Oregon have both told me they are still getting snow. Belle says Oregon weather is more like February than May!

I agree that Oregon is so gorgeous! And many times the trees are so thick that you don't even realize the beach is really close by! Hope to get back up there again some year.

Glad you had a safe trip, and know you will enjoy being home again. Will watch for pics of your goodies.

Luvs

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Ahhh, makes me want to visit OR, too, PM, Jane & luvs (sounds beautiful!)...and I failed to mention that your pics are GREAT, LG! I felt like I was in our MTHome looking out the windshield at those snowy pines on your way home!
    Jeanne S.

• luckygal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish everyone who hasn't seen the west coast of Oregon could. My pic does not do the waves justice at all. They are huge and really quite scary. We went to a platform in one of the historical sites and I tried to get a pic but couldn't quite time it correctly. The waves are maybe up to 20' tall and noisy. One nice state park was only a one nighter because I could hear the waves pounding the shore all night.

Weather since we returned to Canada has been sun, rain, but not overly warm but fortunately no snow. Eastern Washington mountains are higher elevation than we are so I guess snow is more likely there. Great gardening weather here and it's a good thing because I bought 15 big perennials on the way home and am planting them. We have few good nurseries here so I pick up plants everywhere I can. Before I plant I have to move other plants and weed! So that's what I'm doing and will be doing for awhile. Of course there's yard sales tomorrow so hope to find some goodies.

• valleymagpie
    13 years ago

Luckygal,

So glad you loved Oregon. I don't live on the coast but in the woodsy interior which is also gorgeous. What a great vacation, and doubly nice that the weather is good for gardening--we're just getting out into the garden here, too.

Karen,
    Don't give up! I know how much you want to see our beautiful state. It may not be as impossible as you think--put all your resources into it and you may find a way to do it--where there's a will...believe me, when you get here, you'll find it therapeutic.

- Magpie

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I heard Wisc had 3 in of snow last night!

• luckygal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Magpie, we really enjoyed the coast of your lovely state but also drove a different route home so did see some of the interior. Unfortunately by then we no longer had time to browse around so just enjoyed the view as we drove.

Kathleen, there has been snow in many places altho we've been lucky here. A bit north of here when we went yard saling on Saturday they had a couple of inches of white stuff on the north sides of their roofs altho all thawed on the ground. Not really unusual for May in northern or mountainous regions.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions