Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnas_gw

patriotic house number plaque I made (picture)

donnas_gw
13 years ago

I made this plaque and am really proud of it. I didn't think it would turn out this well. I saw a similar one on another house and decided to make my own. I like mine alot better. The one I saw didn't have the stars on it. These stars are pre-cut wood stars that I painted and hot-glued on. The house numbers are plastic and I got them at Walmart. After everything dried, I gave it a couple coatings of acrylic clear gloss. I only hung it on the front door to take a picture of it. It is now hanging on the outside of my house beside the front door. I have vinyl siding, so I used 2 small plastic clips that slide up under your siding to hang it. I had to tighten the wire, so that is not visible.

Comments (10)

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Donna, wonderful job making your house sign. So glad you posted for us to enjoy. It's perfect. Adding the stars was a great idea and love the numbers you used.

Punk

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Wow. Very nice. I love patriotic decorations.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Looks great! Memorial Day patriotism!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

ooooh, I LIKE that. A lot. I love Patriotic stuff, and especially the Americana colors that aren't so bright.
    You make me wish my house number wasn't 4 numbers, the
    3 of yours is just perfect for this!
    Nice Job!

hugs, Karen

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Great job, it looks wonderful. The stars are the perfect touch.
    Frou

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I love it, and you did a wonderful job on it! I too love Patriotic colors. Having the stars and numbers attached just gives it even more dimension--great idea! Luvs

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!! The top part where I have the numbers looks like I used 2 different shades of white (around the 9). Only thing I can think that might have caused it was the reflection from my camera's flash when I took the picture. My daughter wants me to make her one now, so I need to go back to Lowes and get another board and more antique white paint. I have plenty of the other colors.

• bettyd_z7_va
    13 years ago

I love it! I have no talent for these neat things y'all make. Have to buy my stuff.

How much weight can those clips and your siding hold without damaging the siding? I have a rather heavy plaque with birds on it that I want to hang near my back door soooo badly.

TFS,
    Betty

• jaybird
    13 years ago

That is very nice!! You did a great job!
    Thanks for showing us...I may have to copy you :^)
    J

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jaybird, go ahead and copy if you want. It doesn't matter to me:)

bettyd, the clips I used are actually a type of Christmas light clip (or hook). See image below. I had bought them at Walmart years ago to hang 2 small artificial trees with flat backs on each side of my picture window. This hook is no longer than about 1 1/2". The small lip at the top of the straight part hooks under my siding. This plaque that I made is not heavy at all. I think there is something else you can buy at the hardware store for hanging heavier items. I have no idea what it is called. Not sure about how much weight vinyl siding can hold either. You could go to Lowes or Home Depot and ask someone there :)

{{gwi:1424754}}

Sponsored
More Discussions