Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The latest C & C Collaboration

Posted by christmascandy (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 19:41

I just finished another project with my friend Carol, so this is the latest of 4 Candy & Carol collaborations.
This one was a desk and chair for another of her granddaughters.
I found the desk for $12.49 after a 50% off coupon at Unique TS.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is after using AS Chalk paint in Old Ochre and Amelie. Carol knows what she wants to do, but asks me to tell her how to accomplish it as she says I have the "artists eye". So she selects the colors to coordinate with the DGD's bedroom, and then I tell her how I think the piece should be painted and help with the painting. If we don't like something, we just repaint!

The desk has a roll top, barristers bookcase with the glass door on top, a pull out writing surface, drawer below that, and the 2 cabinet doors on the bottom.

I found the chair at a Habitat TS for $2 - 20% = $1.60!! It is a very old piece and we removed the 3 layers of upholstery down to the horsehair!! Her hubby re-glued it, and cut a new plywood piece to reinforce the seat. I found the fabric, and called Carol to see if she would like it. She LOVED it as she has promised each DGD a trip to Paris when they graduate from HS.

This DGD does not like florals, but loves bows so I used the curves of the seat back slats to dictate the bows.

I helped her re-upholster it, and did the painting of the bows on the seat back, both sides, although you can only see the front. I also determine what part of the spindles receive the orchid color, then helped her paint those.

Carol and I have now created a project for each of her 4 DGD's and each DGD has loved what we created.

TTFN,
Candy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The latest C & C Collaboration

They look amazing, Candy you are so talented!!
The desk and chair are perfect for a young lady's room
Nana

o

WOW, Candy, of course you have the artist eye! It is absolutely Beautiful!

I'm sure Carol's DGD's love it! Who wouldn't?

I love it all, but the bows on the chairs are my favorite! How Unique! And I love the Fabric on the chair as well.

Another job Well Done!

Wish I had a Friend with an artist eye. I could use all the help I can get. Carol is one lucky lady.

Bet you both have a wonderful time together. Sounds like you have met your match!

Thanks for sharing!

Creek

o

The desk and chair are just darling. What a lucky girl to have
this cute set. The chair with the ribbons is so pretty. I hope she
will cherish it forever. It's so hard for some of us to hang on to
things through the years.

One of my nieces still has a little stand I painted for her when she
went to college. She has built two new homes and keeps taking
it with her. Makes me laugh when she buys all new furniture but
keeps that little painted stand.

TFS, Punk

o

You two CC's do good work! That turned out delightful, and now looks like a very expensive set! WOW.
I'm still totally blown away you got that wonderful desk for $12 !!! Good Grief, how do you find all these bargains that you do?? I'd have gladly paid the full price, and more, for it. The thrift stores I've gone in never have great pieces! I've found some neat ones to buy, but at the antique mall...so you know I didn't get away with any bargains that way.

hugs, Karen

o

Fantastic transformation....what at Creative & Talented Duo....
You and Carol are...Her DGD is a lucky girl to own this
Treasure. Love the colors / fabric and bow design....Great job!
jane

o

OMG!
You two did that??!! It's amazing.

What a great fabric find. It coordinates so well - and has meaning too.

Would you mind becoming my BFF? I could use a few pieces like that in my house.

o

Oh wow, candy ...you two do great work tog! This is just unbelievable! Do you sand or rough up the surface before you use the chalk paints? I just can't imagine the process!

& the chair ...very cool ...your artistic painting & love, love the Paris fabric! Wow ... just wow! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

Nana, her DGD looked at the bows I painted on the front and said "they look like they are real bows, not painted on!"
She was very interested in how I did that with paint.

Creek, we have had a great time together with the projects.

Punk, that is so fantastic that she appreciates the work you put into that painted stand!

Karen, she had shown me a picture she found of a drop front secretary type of desk and said she needed something like that as her DGD's room did not have enough space for a large desk. I found this desk a few days later and had a 50% off coupon, so I called her and she said "buy it! For that price if I don't like it, I'll donate it again." But once Carol saw it, she LOVED it.

Jane, each DGD has loved that they received a piece that was customized just for them!

OA, if you lived closer or I did, we would definitely be BFF's!! We would have so much fun doing projects together!
BTW, were you anywhere near the fires? My youngest stepdaughter and the baby and 5 yr. old were trapped on El Camino Real for 4 hours!! She could see the flames, and it kept getting hotter. Her temp indicator went from 110 to 114 to 117!!

Jeanne, the cool thing about chalk paint is the piece does not need sanding before you paint. It sticks very well to the surface.

Thanks everybody.
Candy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here