Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Veterans Memorial Photo to share...Happy Memorial Day!

jeannespines
11 years ago

My 'Holiday-er' friends...I am posting a pic of our small town's Veterans' Memorial Lot (a FEMA lot that can't be lived or built on anymore)...it was installed last night & I took pics at dusk (about 8:30) ...no tripod ...just lots of pics & this one came out the best. A couple of the volunteers shined their truck lights on it so I could take pics! A local retired art teacher designed & created the memorial with the help of a Sculptor (college professor) who sculpted the 'stars.' Many, many hours of labor pouring cement, clearing the lot, gravel, electrical, hauling in dirt, prepping the ground for seed...so many volunteers! We are so proud to be a part of this group doing volunteer work this Spring to help out with these empty FEMA lots...our little town, New Hartford, is just over a pop of 500 now ...down from about 750 before the tornado & 500-yr flood of 2008. We have been working on 4 FEMA lots & 3 will be done by next weekend!...4 Season Perennial Lot, Town Square Gazebo Lot, Community Garden Lot & this one, the Vets Lot!

So, since I'm bursting with pride, I want to share this & wish you all a Happy Memorial Day weekend! Hope to be getting back to some decorating in June! Hugs, Jeanne S.

{{gwi:126954}}

Comments (21)

• phonegirl
    11 years ago

Jeanne, what a beautiful display and picture. You should be proud knowing you are a part of it coming together. Pretty amazing what smaller town volunteers come up with.

Hope to see your other accomplishments soon!

Punk

• plainjane425
    11 years ago

Oh Jeanne.. What a lovely
    tribute. It turned out beautifully.
    I agree with Punk..about feeling proud knowing you
    had a part in this.
    What a wonderful caring community you live in.
    I'm so happy you shared this with us.
    Look forward to seeing the other 3 completed.
    jane

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, punk & jane! Today some of the volunteers planted several 'Knock-out Roses' around the area & 3 black urns of flowers ...dedication is Memorial Day @ 9 am ...so I'll take pics again! & later the grass seed will be sowed!

Have a great weekend & I hope you are healing good, jane! Jeanne s.

This is my arbor Mandarin Honeysuckle blooming this week by the little pond:

• milosmom_gw
    11 years ago

Jeanne:
    You have every reason to be very proud. The whole project turned out absolutly fabulous.
    It just goes to show what a group of determined and dedicated people can accomplish when they try hard enough.

• nana2010_gw
    11 years ago

Jeanne, you have every right to be proud of being part of
    this wonderful project.
    The photo is very moving.
    I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the rest of the project.
    I love the picture of you honeysuckle too.
    Nana

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, gals! Here's another pic that a friend took with her phone last night after mulching the roses in front...rain in the area, sun came thru & she snapped this shot! She sent me a 'text' & I could get online & get the photo! I love it!

{{gwi:126955}}

And tho pooped out today, I started a Memorial Day t'scape on the porch table...but didn't get it finished ...I need some Red Geraniums! ;-) Will be sharing soon, I hope! About time! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    11 years ago

Jeanne...your Honeysuckle is beautiful on
    your Arbor...Looks like a photo from a 'Gardening Magazine'.
    The photo your friend took of the Memorial is
    spectacular!
    What a great moment with the sun shining thru and that
    rainbow overhead! She coldn't have 'planned' it better!

Rest up and we'll be looking forward to your TS too.
    We went to a small town in upstate NY to do some Antique
    Shop - hopping...but got rained out..just as well we went
    home early..my foot is 'cast free' but not up to doing
    much walking yet.
    TC...
    jane

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Wonderful projects for your town. Glad that the Vet's Memorial will look so nice for Memorial Day! Both pics are great, close up of stars on the memorials on yours Jeanne & that lovely rainbow & cloud area & sun shining through, magical pic! Your Honeysuckle bush is amazing the way it wraps around the arbor & looks so natural & so sweet with the little angel on the bench! TFS.(Thanks for posting pic for me on GJ too) Jan

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Holiday-ers & you're welcome, sunnyca!

• luvstocraft
    11 years ago

Jeanne, that project turned out so beautiful. I can't even imagine all the work and coordination it took to create it. Congrats to all of you on a job well done.

Your picture in the headlights was great, but the one with the rainbow in the background is wonderful. What a fortunate shot to capture that in the background.

I don't understand how/why the lot belongs to FEMA and can never be built on again. I've not heard of that before. If you want to explain privately, my email is listed on my page here.

Now get some rest and pat yourselves on the back for a job well done.

Luvs

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

I came back to see that 2nd pic! Did anyone else notice there are 2 rainbows in the pic? It's not quite 2 in. above the lower 1. Amazing! Love it! Jan

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There were 23 FEMA lots in New Hartford after the flood of 2008 ... people in these homes could either not afford to rebuild or have enough insurance to rebuild or just gave up on another flooded home...it means they took a 'buy-out' from FEMA ...so those lots can never be built on again...this was a 500-yr flood & affected many homes that never ever have flooded...but many of those that took the buy-out had flooded before ...but not on the main levels like this 2008 flood! So, when FEMA buys you out ...say like $25,000 or something I think may have been an avg (I don't know for sure)...then it becomes property of the city but cannot be built on to live in or have a business.

The lots we are restoring have been this Vets Memorial, 4 Season Perennial Garden, Town Square Gazebo lot & a Community Gardens lot. We have written grants, raised money ...many of it donations & that's how we are doing it...we are wearing down as it is many retired people working long & hard...but we promised our community that we would have the 3 lots done by 1st week of June for the local yearly 'Beaver Creek Days.' It's all very worthwhile to all of us & brings a sense of pride back into the community. Thanks for asking, luvs & I appreciate all the comments from you 'Holiday-ers!' Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    11 years ago

Jeanne, your arbor with the Mandarin Honeysuckle blooming and little cherub is gorgeous. You should send that photo to a gardening magazine. Beautiful shot of the Memorial with the rainbows and roses too.

Punk

• plainjane425
    11 years ago

sunnyca...I went back to take another look...and yes - it was hard to see because it's so faint, but I did find it.
    Good Eyesight!!

jane

• christmascandy
    11 years ago

Jeanne,
    Everybody else has pretty much said it all!
    You certainly have the right to be proud and your photos are magazine quality!

Beautiful tribute and I love that honeysuckle!

TFS,
    Candy

• Purplemoon
    11 years ago

Yep, DITTO on what the others said. But WOW...that photo with the rainbow is really awesome. Such a special moment to capture. You guys should all be bursting with pride.
    It has to be wonderful to live in that kind of community...I envy both you and Kirk for living in those kind of little towns. (I fondly call his "Mayberry", LOL.)

Your honeysuckle is gorgeous. I've always loved that arbor as you know.
    hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I lost my comment post...starting over!

Thanks everyone ... I am MIA so much lately ...taken on alot of stuff ...but will be slowing it down soon ...so hope to be back w/pics!

Dollbaby has pouted for a long time now & I bet she'll never forgive me for not changing into summer duds! (She's still in her Spring Easter outfit!) Yikes! & she's wanted her baseball clothes for awhile now...maybe next week.

I am reading posts & trying to comment ...love the Holiday Forum...today we went in & volunteered hauling mulch & planting for the 'Gazebo Lot' (former FEMA lot) & here's a couple pics I took today...lots of people helping on these lots! My DH helped build the Gazebo...it took about a week...isn't it gorgeous!

We had Beaver Creek Days in it with little kids dancing in costumes & big kids Miss New Hartford pageant. Quite heartwarming!! Lots of donations were given to build this & hopefully it will be used for church services, small weddings ...family get tog...whatever...it's for the community...we did get some grant money, too.

So I appreciate your comments! Hugs! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    11 years ago

Oh Jeanne...it turned out so grand!
    What a wonderful place to enjoy so many events.
    I'm sure you and DH must feel so proud to be part of
    all these wonderful projects. Just think of how all of you helped build a legacy
    that will enrich your community and the lives of all the residents for generations to come.
    That's got to be some special feeling.

Just wanted to let you know...Karen is a Facebook friend of mine, and
    I saw that you wrote that it was your Mother's birthday on June 4th and she was born in 1925...
    My mother's birthday was also June 4th...born in 1924!!

jane

• nana2010_gw
    11 years ago

The Gazebo is really wonderful.
    What a wonderful addition to your town.
    You and your DH should be so proud to have been a part of this wonderful project.
    It would be a wonderful spot for band concerts on Summer evenings.
    TFS Jeanne
    Nana

• luvstocraft
    11 years ago

What a pretty gazebo. Such a neat thing all of you are doing by finding a use for those empty lots and making them so pretty for everyone to enjoy.

Luvs

• christmascandy
    11 years ago

I can almost hear the music from the Music Man playing in the background! This is just wonderful and a project worthy of praise. Kudos to you both for your service. Your community is very lucky to have people like you willing to work so hard to improve their neighborhood.

TFS,
    Candy

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm
More Discussions