Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christmascandy

Do you remember Buddy Poppies?

christmascandy
12 years ago

I found these poppy plates and bowl at GoodWill last yr and saved them for this table. The cross and 4 Fleur de Lis clear glasses came from 2 diff. GW's last week. The glasses are very heavy and have FRANCE LAROCHERE imprinted in the bottom of the glass. The cross was .75c @ 75% off and the glasses were .79c ea, full price. I thought the French Fleur de Lis was a nice tribute as the poem "In Flanders Fields" is in the background on the table.

The silver chargers, white scalloped plates, and poppy plates are TS as are the napkins, red/white/blue wreath, and tablecloth. The silver candleholders, and silver napkin rings are items I have had forever. The blue goblets are DT, and the silverware is Ross last yr. I printed the In Flanders Fields poem from the internet and used a frame I already owned. The silver hammered chargers under the white plates and on the plastic chargers were clearance last yr. at HL for $1 ea.!!

The gold metal stars were a box from the TS and marked Lillian Vernon. I scattter them on lots of tables. The 4 small flags were in a package at Walmart.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

Candy

Comments (14)

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I meant to say in my post that when I was a child I think it was the DAV used to sell buddy poppies. They were a small red plastic poppy and the money raised from the sale went to support the charity. I haven't seen them in many years, but I remembered them and the poem and that is why I used the poppy plates for my Memorial Day table.

TTFN,
    Candy

• dreamgoddess
    12 years ago

Candy, your table is so lovely. I love the red/white/blue berries(?) that you used around the cross. I really like the overhead shot of the table - just beautiful.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

I remember the poppies ...& just got one last week ...the American Legion Auxiliary ...hand-made by veterans...in memoriam.

I love the silver hammered chargers & have been on the outlook for those! Your RW&B Memorial Day theme is very bright & cheerful! I love the linens esp...the napkin duo & t'cloth! Those poppy plates do POP & the flatware color is perfect, too! Framing the centerpc w/berry swag (or wreath) looks great, too. Wonderful bargains $$$ in this t'scape! TFS! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

'In Flanders fields the poppies grow
    Between the crosses, row on row' >

Candy, I always loved that poem - So Moving...
    Your table is decorated just beautifully with the bright R/W&B of your linens and those beautiful poppy plates. The chargers & stems and flatware are just perfect for this theme. I love your CP with the berries - flags & Cross...and of course the Framed Poem..a beautiful tribute to Memorial Day...
    Thank you for this..

jane

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Candy, wonderful table and I love the centerpiece you created. The red poppy dishes are perfect for this table. The vets always decorate every servicemans grave here with poppies and also come around and sell them.

I haven't thought about putting together a table for Memorial Day but sure enjoyed seeing yours.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Another really neat table from you, no surprise there! LOL
    Seriously tho, it looks great. I like those little gold stars scattered around especially.
    This Candy-Shot seems to have extra "oooomph" for some reason! Were you swinging higher than usual from that chandelier? LOL

By the way, hope you saw a note to you I put in my OT post about Jas and golf this week...
    hugs, Karen

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

This really is a wonderful table, Candy.
    What a moving tribute.
    The poppy dishes were a great find.
    Those little poppies are still available in my area I buy one every year.
    Thanks for Sharing Candy
    NanaK

• excessfroufrou
    12 years ago

Great table, love the flower plates. Yes, I remember the poppies, the ones that I remember were made for crepe paper.
    Frou

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

Candy, you never cease to amaze me with all your wonderful finds and your ability to put them all together so nicely. I think the poem and that cross with the red/wht/blue wreath just makes a wonderful and meaningful centerpiece--and I love your poppy plates too! Lovely pictures, and you sure created a wonderful table for such a special day. Luvs

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

DG, yes they are some type of berry, they were on the wreath when I bought it at a TS (of course!)

Jeanne, they only had 7 of the chargers, so I am still looking for #8. I'm glad you cleared up who sells the poppies as I have not seen them for a long time and oouldn't remember who actually sold them.

Jane, I was planning the table and I have some crosses I could have used, but really wanted a white square type and, lo and behold, there it was at the TS and on clearance to boot!

Karen, I totally did not know about being a dish addict until you "dragged" me here, LOL!! I'll have to revisit
    that post.

Nana, I snapped them up PDQ I'll tell you. Especially since they were at GW and they have the best prices in town on dishes.

Frou, I haven't seen the poppies for sale in a long time, but remember them quite well.

Punk, thanks. Here they decorate the graves with small flags. My DGS is planting them at Fort Logan, the military cemetary here, on Sat. AM with his scout troop.

Luvs, I like that the table/dish arrangement is different than my usual flag theme type of table that I did last yr.
    Also, I had to use the poem as it ties the dishes into the theme.

TTFN,
    Candy

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

You have the best luck finding such great dishes Candy! What a great table this is...LOVE the poppy plates! And I always love the "above" view of your table.

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marlene, thanks. I think many people are looking for practicality when they shop at the TS's and I am looking for pretty/unusual/unique dishes for my tablescapes. So between that fact and the number of different stores I visit, it does help me find some great deals.

I googled the fleur de lys glasses and the cheapest I saw them was $49.99 for 6!! So I'm bustin a button over my $3.16 for 4!!

TTFN,
    Candy

• maximavswife
    12 years ago

Oh Candy! Are these the plates you needed my poppy candle holders for? This table is just such a nice tribute to our men and women that serve our country. I like this table very much!!

Kath

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kath, yes those are the plates that your candleholders would coordinate with very well.

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

We are finally supposed to get some good weather...Tuesday!! It was chilly and misty this morning and when it finally warmed up.. winds with gusts up to 60 mph! I did get my flowers planted yesterday afternoon, but it was still fairly cool.

Thank you again to our all military personnel, past and present, who make this such a wonderful country in which to live and preserve our freedom!! We owe you all a great debt.

TTFN,
    Candy

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer
More Discussions