Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

new birds n plates to decorate with

Purplemoon
14 years ago

Dollar Tree has some new birds in, they are pretty neat. The birds are resin, their legs-feet are metal.

Last week, on a blog, I saw one a gal had bought and painted! She didn't like the bluebird and wanted to spiff him up, so she painted him white and I think a gloss sealer was used. He ended up very pretty and had that 'porcelain' look. I like the colored birds, but since only a dollar each, I might get more and redo one or two myself.

Ebay browsing again and discovered these two small plates. Eight inch size. They are called Nature's Journey, by Bastin. (there are butterfly and other bird ones too.) The rabbit is exactly the kind of plate I have my collection in the kitchen. And of course the Cardinal will go with my Christmas collection of Cardinal plates. Aren't they pretty?

{{gwi:1421536}}

{{gwi:1421537}}

And I've saved the BEST to last! I'm so excited with these 'wood plates'. I LUV them! And of course they were painted by our talented Luvs! Little story behind these.....several years ago, I had saved graphics with this little boy and little girl to my files to use emailing during the Patriotic holidays. I always thought they would be a wonderful pattern to cut out of wood. I wanted to enlarge them, and cut them out where they would be about 20" high to display in the yard. They would be very easy to cut out. However, being the Queen of Procrastination, I still haven't done them... and I am still hoping to do so before Memorial Day.(fat chance, huh?).

Meanwhile, I'd sent Luvs some bunnies and she wanted to do something in return, tho I told her not necessary. But she insisted. I asked her if she could paint the Patriotic Kids on plaques for me display on my mantle. I requested a splatter-type background, but left things mostly up to her knowing I'd be thrilled. And oh yeah, I am definitely THRILLED!! They will go up Memorial Day and stay thru July 4th. Aren't they the cutest things ever? I hope she makes herself some with these patterns!

hugs, Karen

Comments (17)

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Karen, cute little birds and beautiful plates you bought. I can hardly wait to see what you do with the birds. They sound cute painted and I can see them on your mantel at Christmas time.

Your patriotic kids are adorable that Luvs painted for you. What a nice trade for both of you.

Punk

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Oh, Karen, those plates painted by Luvs are just adorable! The other plates are lovely also, you'll have to post pics of how you use them all. I've searched for the location of Dollar Tree stores where we are going and hope to find some of those birds - so many ways to use those. Thanks - you are such an extremely good enabler. :-) My DH has no idea yet of how many sites I've bookmarked where I want to shop on this trip altho I know he won't be surprised!

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

PM, I love Marjolein Bastin's greeting cards that I have rec'd at times...so I love these 2 plates you found on ebay! Cute!

But, WOW, those patriotic kids are just DARLING ...great work, luvs! ....they will be wonderful for your indoor decor this summer! Great swampin'! TFS! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Wow those birds are really nice for the money.
    I too can see using them in so many ways..I'm going to
    check to see if they have any by me.
    Your plates are just lovely, and
    those plates Luvs painted are Too Cute!
    She's a 'keeper'!...and so talented too....lol

jane

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found that blog and the bluebird painted, along with a GW candlestick. Looks neat I think, check it out.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: painted blue bird

• yachter123
    14 years ago

The little birds are perfect for spring decorating & the price is right!! Can't go wrong at Twenty Dollar Tree! LOL

I really love that rabbit plate, you have great taste.

Luvs is VERY talented, those plates are adorable, love how the little kiddies hats are oversized on them, makes them very whimsical!!

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Karen...I just popped in here for a minute..and am so glad I did... I love what she did with the Bird and Candlestick!
    The white paint gave them such a different appearance altogether.. and I love the look!
    This was so inspiring...now I will go around looking at all the 'stuff' that I can give a new 'personality' to, with a little paint...lol
    Thanks

jane

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

I love those plates..That Luvs, what a talented gal..and sweet too!
    Here's a bird that was in my yard...want it??

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

What a surprise to click on here to see Karen's new goodies and the little patriotic plates. I so glad Karen liked them--makes me a bit nervous when I paint for other people, want them to be just right. That design would be really cute as cutout shapes too.

Karen your bunny and cardinal plates are so neat. So glad you found a couple you really loved. I was at our Dollar Tree a couple days ago and didn't see any of those birds--they look neat. Many times I've read of things people have found at Dollar Tree and mine doesn't have them--wonder why that is? I've got to go follow the link you posted to see her painted ones.

Kathleen, have your DH catch that big bird. You can feed him from now until Thankgiving and be all set for dinner. Just kidding--he'd be a "pet" by then and you could never do it! LOL

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathleen, I'd make a pet out of that bird for sure. I use to feed any critter that came in my yard when we lived in the country. Tho now I think my dogs might make that a challenge since Whippets are a hunting type dog, so good thing I live in town.

Luvs, my Dollar Tree has two areas where they put figurines, and these birds were on a shelf and not easily seen to top it off.

I noticed the gal that painted her's used Rustoleum's Heirloom White. I've also seen many others mention they use it on picture frames, candlesticks, etc. I've always just bought plain white, but think I will be switching as this seems a bit softer and prettier.

hugs, Karen

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

It's guinea hen..they eat the ticks the darn deer carry...the ones that near did me in!
    Any good recipes?

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Those guineas are the BEST watch-dogs, too! And I'm betting you'll never be able to catch one! LOL! The ticks are out here already, too, Kathleen! Jeanne S.

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Karen, I really liked how that lady's painted bird and candlestick holder looked together. I just finished spray painting some of the other little birds from Dollar Tree. First set I sprayed too heavily and got runs, hoping the 2nd set is better. I'll have to look for the Heirloom white too, I like that softer look.

Kathleen and Jeanne, just remember that the deer and ticks are a small price to pay for living in such beautiful open areas where there's room for the deer to roam. My front and back yard are smaller than just your front yard!

Luvs

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

The little bird painted white with the candlestick and nest looks great. I think you should take Kathleen up on her guinea hen.haha Reminds me of one time our two pigs got out and went to town. The little Hawaiian gal from the cafe was out running around in her uniform trying to help us catch them. I think everyone in town almost was a part of that and loved it and talked about it forever.

Thanks for posting the pic Kathleen, I would of never guessed they were so close to a turkey. As for recipes, I bet you could get alot if need be!!!

Punk

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

NO recipes!! LOL. That guinea hen sounds like a keeper if she eats those nasty ticks! I thought guineas were a lot smaller, or is it just the photo that makes her look big?

Luvs, did you spray the little off-white tinted birds that were at DT recently? Or some other ones they've had? I haven't re-painted any, tho often 'gloss' some up to make them look better, like I did with those cardinals we found last Fall.

I have two real bird nests I'd LOVE to use. Thanks to windstorms last year. They are fairly large tho, and really wonderful! Birds amaze me. But if I use them, they've got to be up high somewhere as I have a feeling the cats would go nuts. Especially "Trouble", he'd have a blast disassembling a real nest.
    I have to admit, he was extremely good about ALL my decorations since Fall. I am amazed, maybe Tornado season is over finally. He's 2 now. But a real bird nest would be pushing my luck for sure.

hugs, Karen

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Karen, it WAS big..that's why I thought it was a female turkey, but the dots on the feathers tipped off some of my blog readers who knew..
    Luvs, I am very happy to live where I do, but the deer are a nuisance ..they cause the farmers so much loss, not to mention my flowers, and more importantly, Lyme disease.

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Luvs is really talented and sweet to boot, the plates are too darn cute. Looks like I'll be heading out to dollar tree soon. I love, love, love that rabbit plate.
    Syble

Sponsored
More Discussions