Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximavswife

Homage to Marilyn in Black & White

maximavswife
13 years ago

This table was inspired by the black & white napkins I got at HG several months ago. I had been putting this table together in my head for several weeks but felt something was missing. Then it hit me. My younger brother used to get me collector bottles of Marilyn Monroe Merlot wine and this one has my favorite label, so sleek, so sexy, so Marilyn. And so, this table is for her.

She sits on a piece of Candlewick glass inherited from my grandmother with a small red silk rose for a subtle touch of color.

I started with a white tablecloth and added a black velvet shawl as a runner.

Each place setting is a black charger, my great-grandmother's Epiag china, my much loved crystal water glasses resting on estate sale silver coasters, plain wine glasses, vintage silver flatware and the black and white napkins from HG with silver napkin rings from DH

The centerpiece is a silverplate tray on top of a silverplate revere bowl I purchased at an auction last weekend. On the tray is a crystal hurricane that matches the water glasses and glass votives. On each side are crystal compotes from the auction last week that I am using with candles.

Kath

Comments (10)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

B&W...still one of my fav combos! All your beautiful crystal for candles, water & Candlewick accessories ...are just beautiful & work so GREAT with this table!

Love the homage to MM...that wine bottle is so Marilyn! Very sexy & adding the single red rose. I love, love, love your napkins & silver rings!...you sure were inspired by them! Love it all!..the vintage china, too. TFS, maxi! Jeanne S.

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

Very striking and a lovely tribute.
    The contrast on this table is just perfect and the bottle was exactly the right touch.

This is definitely one of your prettiest tables.

TFS,
    Candy

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

A very fitting tribute and I love the wine bottle. Your napkins are very pretty and all the crystal really pops against the black backgroud. I like the way you added the little silver coasters to the goblets too.
    Frou

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Kath, gorgeous table. Love your new napkins, rings and all the crystal you used on the black tc. MM is smiling down from above on this one for sure. Love the red roses to top it off. Very striking ts.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

STUNNING table! Certainly befitting Marilyn's beauty, what a great tribute to her.
    I agree with what all the others have said, word for word.

WOW!!!

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Beautiful setting for a beautiful lady.
    I love the dramatic look of black and white..the wine bottle - all the candlelight - the crystal and silver...and the tiny touch of red on the bottle and the rose.
    You have so many lovely crystal pieces and your napkins add just the right amount of flair..
    I agree - it's one of your nicest tables.

jane

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I totally agree with what everyone else has said. You really outdid yourself on this one and it is gorgeous. Those napkins are so pretty with the silver holders and the crystal really sparkles. The silver tray and coasters really tie in with the napkin rings too. Love the bottle too. And you have black chargers! Are they metal or ceramic? Great job on this one--kudos.

Luvs

• maximavswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your sweet comments! Yes, this is my favorite table to date.
    Luvs~the chargers are actually plastic. For the life of me I can't remember where I got them so I'll go with Hobby Lobby :)

Kath

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Very elegant looking! Black and white is always an excellent combination.

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Everyone else has said it for me. Beautifully elegant!!
    NanaK

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions