Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nana2010_gw

Yesterday was...

nana2010_gw
11 years ago

...National Oranges and Lemons Day

I planned to post these pictures Yesterday, but my computer had other Ideas Grrr.

Anyway I hope you enjoy them.

It was a custom in London for the elementary age children of St. Clement's Church to play the musical bells to the tune of the Nursery Rhyme 'Oranges and Lemons'. When they finished playing they each would receive an orange and a lemon.

It was my idea to use a lot of different bells.

Well that didn't quite work out lol.

From 2012-04-01 (by Eye-Fi)

I had the orange tc and black plates. The glasses are from

Dollar Tree and the salad plates and little bowls are from CTS.

The oranges and lemons ARE real.

My DS downloaded the words and music. I tried to get a closeup of the words without success.

I thought it was a fun idea, but the table doesn't look exactly how I pictured it in my head.

I hope you get a kick out of it anyway.

TFLookin

Nan

Comments (9)

• maximavswife
    11 years ago

How beautiful your table looks and must smell! The gloves shows your attention to detail! Perfect! Such an imaginative table. I love it.
    Kath

• phonegirl
    11 years ago

Nana, your table is so pretty. Using real fruit is always attractive to me. Something I rarely do. I loved reading about the children playing bells to the Nursery Rhyme 'Oranges and Lemons'. I remember seeing those little bells but haven't seen one in a long time. Showing the music is a cute idea on your table too .

I bought some fresh fruit from CA friday. A little spendy but sooo sweet. The guy was selling fresh grapefruit, oranges and tangerines and I couldn't resist. They are so much better than what we normally have here in the markets.

Punk

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

I did get a kick out of it, nana! LOL!
    I like that you chose a unique holiday to celebrate as March ends & April begins!

Like your centerpc w/rope around it...real lemons & grapefruit & the black dishes against the rich orange t'cloth. What fun you had doing this table!!! It shows! Printed music is a cool idea!
    TFS! Jeanne S.

• elmaly
    11 years ago

Love the idea!

Why did the lemon disapprove of his daughter?

Because she was a little tart!

Why did the orange stop halfway across the road?

He ran out of juice!

• Purplemoon
    11 years ago

What a delightful story, and your table is too. I have a big smile on my face right now from both. You are just full of ideas for tables, thank goodness for all of us who enjoy them so much!

(LOL, El...those jokes are a hoot)

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    11 years ago

Nana, what a fun idea! Love those DT glasses, I never see things like that at mine. The oranges and lemons look so big and juicy. Does anyone besides me like to just eat a lemon? My neighbor has a tree of Meyer lemons and they are yummy! How fun that you were able to print the sheet music for the song. Great job! Luvs

• christmascandy
    11 years ago

What a fun table.
    I haven't heard of the Oranges and Lemons song, but very clever way to use it for a table.
    The real fruit looks delicious, and the tablecloth is a really pretty shade of orange.
    The Nate Berkus show just said today that Tango Tangerine is the new color for 2012 and I'd say your tablecloth is right in fashion.

TFS,
    Candy

• nana2010_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your sweet comments.
    kathe, I remembered seeing people playing bells wearing white gloves. The room did smell good.

Punk, I thought of using faux fruit, but I can use the lemons in Iced tea. and I wanted to cut the oranges for the picture.

Jeanne, I found the idea for this table on weird holidays. DD3 gave me the idea to use the poem and then DS downloaded the music.
    I bought navel oranges, but I think the one I used was a tangelo, that's why the flesh is so pink.
    It was really good.
    EL, Your jokes made me LOL. Hope to see you here more often.
    Luvs I wonder why chains don't carry the same merchandise at all their stores?
    MY DH would eat a lemon, and my youngest GS did when he was younger I don't know if he still does.

Candy, I was at a tablescape show last month and someone did a table with an orange tc and cobalt blue dishes and stemware it was stunning! Orange certainly isn't just for Halloween any more! I'm keeping that in mind for a table.

Nana

• oldalgebra
    11 years ago

I'm crazy about this! First of all, I learned something new. That's always a plus. You did such a great job carrying off the theme. I image the California Citrus Growers Association (CCGA) would like to see this one.

The idea of the rope from bell to bell look great. I'm going to have to bookmark this page and mark the day on my calendar.

P.S. My oldest grandchild loves lemons too. I makes my mouth do funny things just thinking about it.

Orange you glad you posted this????

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms
More Discussions