Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christmascandy

Grapevine Garden Theme Tree

christmascandy
13 years ago

I made this garden theme tree using a spiral grapevine I got on clearance, and then adding items that have a garden theme, eg: small garden spades, rakes, hoes, wheelbarrows, sun hat, mini terracotta flowerpots, and of course birds and birdnests. The spiral grapevine is actually flat in the package. I pulled the center up and fastened it to the garden stake to make the tree. I think it could also be hung and not need the flower pot planter. Gravity would just open up the grapevine.

The grapevine is held up by a garden stake with a watering can at the top. I bent the stake so it appears the watering can is actually watering the tree. The "water" is a pick with iridescent shreds that look like water. I stuck it in one of the holes in the watering can. Then I added a garden angel ornament sitting in the top of the watering can to watch over the tree.

Close up to show one of the birdnests, and some of the small tools. they were on clearance at HL.

Tiny flower pots with dragonflies. I used small butterflies, bees, dragonflies, and ladybugs to add to the garden theme.

The tree is "planted" in a large terracotta flower pot that is sitting on a plant stand in my sunroom.

The small picket fence is a napkin ring that I cut and opened up. The small tools were in the dollhouse section of HL.

Another view showing the garden hat. There are decorations all around the tree so it could be placed where it could be viewed from any angle. I filled in with spanish moss and small plants and silk flowers. The items are mostly fastened on the grapevine with hot glue and small florists wire.

It is about 3' tall including the flower pot.

Happy Spring.

Candy

Comments (11)

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

That is very clever! Fun for a porch!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Gosh, Candy, that is the one of the cutest things I've seen!
    What a neat porch decoration. I love how you adorned it!
    I've never seen the spiral grapevine before.

I think I really need to start an idea inspiration album, LOL. Some of you gals come up with the coolest things.

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Candy, I love it! It is so cute with all the birds and bugs. I've not heard of spiral grapevine before either--what a neat product. You did an excellent job finding just the right items to attach to it and it looks lovely. Luvs

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Candy, your garden theme tree is so darn neat. I'll bet it took alot of time to get all together but it sure looks great. So many cute things on your grapevine tree. Your a clever one.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I keep coming back to look at the photos of this little tree. I just love it. Guess now I'll be on the hunt for a spiral grapevine! Hope I have better luck finding one than I have finding the grapevine tree that's about 3 ft high.
    They'd be so fun to decorate for most seasons or holidays.
    My daughter has two of the trees, different heights but won't part with them. LOL. Actually I like this spiral tree better after playing around with my metal spiral one for several recent holidays!

hugs, Karen

• milosmom_gw
    13 years ago

Add myself to the list who has never seen a spiral tree before but it sure is cuuuutttteee the way you've pepped it up.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

What a creative display CC..
    Looks like alot of thought went into this, with all the
    garden details.
    I agree with Kathleen, fun for the porch.
    I can see sitting there each time, and enjoying this wonderful garden theme.

jane

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Your creative juices are really flowing, that is adorable. It is perfect for your sunroom, I love gardening things in my sunroom too. There are so many cute things to look at, I like the little shovel and lady bugs the best. I've had trouble finding little birds like that in my rural area,
    W-M doesn't carry much craft stuff anymore. You did an excellent job.
    Frou

• jaybird
    13 years ago

That is so cute! Do you have time to come to Texas?? :^) That is exactly the type idea I am working on for my ladies tea....however mine has to be done with a "0" budget! Thanks so much for posting, I got some good ideas!
    J

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi J,
    I'm actually coming to San Antonio in July, is that too late?? LOL

Frou, Do you have any Dollar Trees close to you? They actually have some cute little birds besides the ones that everyone is making into the ones with nests on candlesticks.

Jane, we get such occasional high winds that it would get destroyed outside on my porch which is why it is in the sunroom. Thanks for the compliment though.

MM, unfortunately, I bought the spiral a few years ago after Christmas, so haven't looked for them lately. As I said, they come flat in the package just like a big multi-colored sucker, and it has to be pulled up from the center to create the spiral effect.

Karen, if you have a metal one, you could probably get the same effect, or even buy grapevine wreaths at a TS and take them apart and wire to your metal one.

Punk, Luvs, Kathleen, and everyone else, thank you so much for the nice compliments. It was a lot of fun to create and I still enjoy it even after a couple of years.

Cheers,
    Candy

• prosperity66
    13 years ago

You're really skilled, Candy! It's a marvelous tree!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists
More Discussions