Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nana2010_gw

Table with an Asian Flair

nana2010_gw
12 years ago

These old, well used, well loved dishes have been in my family for years. The stamp on the back says Chinese Pattern.

From 2012-03-12 (by Eye-Fi)

As you can see some pieces were used more than others.

The gold and black dishes and chop sticks are from a resale shop. The blue plates I used as chargers are from Dollar General. As you can see I made the Gong place cards.

This darling Peacock is from DD4's Christmas Tree

I did this table in March and I had trouble finding things

to use on it. Since then I've found some pieces that would have worked. Maybe I'll feature them on a table or in a vignette at a later time.

TFLookin.

NANA

Comments (10)

• kathleen_li
    12 years ago

That is so pretty! I love the color of the plate used as a charger. I have to see if there is a $ General here in NY!
    Pass the egg rolls!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Oh, this is a clever table, nana...those Chinese dishes are wonderful...love the colors & all the details! Your gong placecards are really cute! And I'm lovin' your DD4's peacock ornament on the table! & the bright colored flowers! Your t'cloth (patterned) is very pretty but I was wondering how these dishes w/that pretty blue plate for a charger...anyway, wondering how this would look w/a GOLD t'cloth or some layering of BLACK! (cause I love the napkins you used!) Just brainstormin'!

Lovely, lovely table & even so much more special because the dishes have history! TFS, nana! Jeanne S. (ohhh, & I would need a 'gold fork!' LOL!)

• nana2010_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Kathleen and Jeanne. Gosh Jeanne, I have a gold tc and never thought to use it!!
    Now I'm picturing these dishes with it.
    Darn I just gave my DD her Peacock back.
    I REALLY want a black tc but haven't found one yet.
    I did have black handled flat ware on the table, but decided to use just the chop sticks.
    Nana

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Nana..georgous dishes - I love the pattern and how you
    layered them . Beautiful choice of flowers and DD's
    Peacock and its color was made for this setting..just perfect!
    I'm laughing over your 'Gong' place cards..you are so clever!
    I also like how you did your napkins..
    I was thinking of what Jeanne said about using a Gold or
    Black table cloth...I think either would look stunning.
    As always I enjoyed looking .
    jane

• oldalgebra
    12 years ago

Nana,

I know you said you took the table apart, but have you put everything away yet? I'd love a closer look at the gongs. THey are darling. I'm going to use that idea next Chinese New Year. If it's not too much trouble, can you show them again, please.
    OA

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Nana, love your Chinese dishes. The tea pot shows it's age with the crazing. So neat! Wonderful that you still have this set. I remember watchingthe Gong show and your place cards brought back fun memories.

DD's beautiful peacock, your chargers and candle holders are such pretty colors and add to the flair of your table. Would be fun to see this same setting or maybe some of your added things on a gold tc.

I hope you find a black tc while out shopping one of these days. I have a lg black satin piece of material I use on some of my tables. Keep up the good work and thanks for the entertainment.

Punk

• nana2010_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all again for your wonderful comments.
    Punk, I remember the Gong show too. It was fun. By the way I stopped in at Big Lots this morning and found a black table cloth. YAY
    OA, Here is a picture of my gong place cards
    They were embarrassingly easy to make. As you can see I painted and glued craft sicks together. The gongs are circles cut from scrap booking paper. I strung them from pieces of thread glued to the frame and the paper. The hardest part was getting them to stand. I used small pieces of modeling clay to support them. I was surprised when they didn't fall over.

From 2012-04-17 (by Eye-Fi)

Thanks again
    Nana

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Nana, wonderful to hear you found a black tc. Hope you will share it with us soon. Cute Gong. Sometimes the snallest things add the final touch needed!

I have a box of craft sticks out in the shed for??? I've moved so many things out to the shed now that I NEED room in the house for tablescaping stuff.LOL Funny how our lives change through the years. I've thought about giving up all the decorating but so far I'm still hanging in there.

Punk

• oldalgebra
    12 years ago

Clever, clever, clever, clever! Thanks so much for sharing this idea. I've never seen it done before. It is on my list now. I'm using this one!

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

I love all the pretty colors in your dishes, Nana, but I have to admit I was most impressed with the cute gong place cards and the peacock. What excellent touches for this tablescape. You did a great job. (P.S. I'd need one of those forks too!) LOL

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions