Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_li

Irish Soda Bread Recipe...

kathleen_li
16 years ago

There are thousands of recipes for this, but some of you asked for the one I used...

Irish Soda Bread......Kathleen

4 Cups flour

1 teasp salt

4 teasp baking powder

1 teasp baking soda

3/4 Cup sugar

2 teasp caraway seed

1 cup raisins

2 Cups buttermilk

3 T soft butter

1 egg

1 t vanilla

Sift dry ingredients. Mix in the seeds and raisins. Add buttermilk and vanilla and mix.

add beaten egg, and 3 T soft butter...mix

Put in 2 greased loaf pans, or 1 10 in round pan. Cut an x to let the steam escape.

Bake in a preheated 350 deg oven...30 to 35 min for loaf pan, 50 for the round. Check center to be sure it is done, but don't overbake.

5 min before you remove from oven brush with whole milk.

This can be doubled.

You can omit the seeds.

Notes..I add a splash of OJ to the batter...

Comments (14)

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Thank you Ma'am....I will be treating us with this during this week!! It's supposed to be pretty cold here tomorrow, so it will be a perfect evening to bake bread!!

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are very welcome, Jay. Lather it up with butter, lol

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Sounds and looks yummy, Kathleen. If I made it, I'd probably want to eat the whole thing! Luvs

• prosperity66
    16 years ago

Thank you so much Kathleen for this recipe.

Just one question: what are "3 T" (soft butter is ok)? I'm not familiar with baking ;-)

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tablespoons, and yes, soft is fine!

• valley57
    16 years ago

Your breads look beautiful. My mother has been making Irish soda bread for years and was very interested in hearing your recipe. She has never used the vanilla or o.j. and plans to try it next week. also brushing it with milk is new to us--we are going to do that as well. Thanks for sharing.

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

Sounds and looks Delish! I've never tasted Irish Soda Bread. If I leave the caraway seeds out, I have everything I need and may try it tomorrow. Thanks. I also love the dish you have yours on.
    Betty

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

Oh my goodness Kathleen,
    I finally had a chance to be at home long enough to make this bread today. WOW!! It is deeeelish!! DH walked in from work about 3 minutes after I took it out of the oven and we sat down with butter and this bread and ate almost one whole loaf!!!!
    Anyone who hasn't made it yet needs to get busy!! You don't know what you are missing. The only thing I changed was the sugar. DH is a borderline diabetic and I used not quite 1 cup of Splenda instead of the sugar. Yum oh!
    Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.
    Betty

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So glad it worked for you Betty! I have made it for my friend who is diabetic..the only difference I found was it was a little dryer than with the sugar..
    Saw your post over at Cooking..I post there too!

• prosperity66
    16 years ago

I'll try to make one for my parents who come to visit us on Saturday... Hope I'll find the needed ingredients and that I'll be able to bake it!!!

• trudymom
    15 years ago

I just made Kathleen's amazing Irish Soda Bread. It was wonderful!!! It was a little sweet and very moist. Thank you Kathleen for the recipe!!

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Trudy..you can cut the sugar ..
    I was wondering how this got back up here, LOL!
    Glad you enjoyed it..no need to slather with butter!

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Kathleen, I've just added your recipe to my online cookbook. I've always loved Irish Soda Bread, but have never made it myself. Your recipe sounds wonderful and I'm planning on making a batch today. Many thanks for sharing it with us!
    Lynn

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are welcome, Lynne.
    Several people who read my blog contacted me to tell me they really liked it. I have tested over 20 recipes, and this one I tweaked till we liked it.