Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

help with tablescape

paintingfool
17 years ago

I have a niece getting married soon on the beach. I have some ideas on tablescapes but would love input from yall. Since it is on the beach I was thinking of using tall clear cylinders with sand in the bottom, then seashells, fill it with water and float a candle on top (someone posted pictures once with a layout like this). And for the tables, perhaps a hurricane lamp laying on its side in a bit of sand, sand layered inside the lamp with seashells and a few flowers spilling out each end, maybe a few votives in the sand on the sides of the lantern. May not need the votives depending on time of day of wedding. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments (29)

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

PF, I googled it and it gave some ideas, but you are talented and I am sure you could get some ideas and improve. I think the one thing to keep in mind is weight. The wind would take anything light away quickly. Your ideas sound good. Do you have a pic of the one you saw?
    Floating the candle down low is a good idea. I did a party at the beach last summer. Got these chunky goblets for the candles, and the darn things kept blowing out!!

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathleen, Judith posted the pictures of low table arrangements about a month ago. I am so glad I saved the pictures - Thank you Judith - the wedding will be outside but the reception will be inside so I won't have to worry about the wind. Her theme color will be a light blue - not my favorite to work with but I am going to keep everything light - white tablecloths - possibly light blue runners criss crossing the table. It is a buffet so there won't be a lot of tables to worry about. I should add that this is for a young couple who have very little money so we will be doing most of this by pulling from what we have at home. I already have banquet tablecloths and skirting. She bought several large rolls of light blue tulle - I am trying to come up with a way to use it perhaps on the chairs, it is going to be very casual with mostly family and a few friends but I would like for it to be the nicest possible. I said it was for my niece but she is not the one getting married,it is the niece of her husband. I have never met the girl, I just like doing weddings for young girls who probably would not have one because of the cost. The one thing I won't be doing is the cooking - I do not like to cook but I will help with decorating the cake as long as I don't have to bake it. This is the inspiration picture for part of the decorations. {{gwi:1417318}}

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

You could get the little battery operated votives (tea lites) at the dollar store or at Michaels in a multipac. The Michaels will burn over 120 hours and are pretty solid. They come in a 6 pack but you could use the weekly 40% off coupon on some.
    I don't use real tea lites anymore.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

PF, I had saved that inspiration pic too--even with substitutions it would be lovely. Your ideas sound great. It is really nice of you to help them, and I know it will be a happy memory for them. Can't wait for pics of your final table. Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

PF, I remember that picture very well and saved it also. I love your idea of adapting the look also and can visualize it done with a light blue mixed in. I think what you have come up with is very nice. I think you are certainly on the right track and I'm sorry, but I don't have any ideas to add to yours. And I also want to add that I think it's terrific of you to do this for a young couple.

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

PF, I must have missed that partic pic, it is beau! Ok, so no wind to worry about, that is good! I love those tall candle holders, the ones I got at ACMoore were 50 cents each, but way too small to do that. But, they usually have the chunkier hurricane ones on sale for less than 2 dollars. Maybe you could do something with those?? Shells , candles , ribbon, maybe you could even skip the runners, I have used ribbon down the cloths and it works well. Will you be using real flowers?

I know even trying to do it inexpensively, it adds up quickly! If the tulle can be cut into strips you could do the bows for the backs of the chairs. I don't know where you live, but Costco has very pretty ribbon..50yds for 6.50.
    So tell me some more of your thoughts re flowers etc. Floating the flowers is pretty and uses a lot less of them.
    Will anything be in bloom you could use? I did hydrangeas last Aug for an engagement party. I wish I took pics, 10 tables..simple but pretty. I love doing stuff like this, so I am happy to try and help!

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

PF, if you go to www.acmoore.com there is a pic of the hurricanes I was talking about, $1.99. If you like them I am sure you could find them elsewhere if you don't have ACMoore.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You girls have been great. I like the ribbon idea since it is inexpensive. I think I will basket weave the ribbon on the tabble in the center and then let it trail off the edge of the table. I live in the south but right now only the azaleas are blooming in my area - and the wisteria. I may try putting them in water to see how they stand up.

Most of the flowers are going to be silk - I have a lot of silks and greenery left over from other weddings and most are in a neutral color (I have done the floral arrangements for at least a dozen weddings but I have no formal type training, just look and copy). I plan to use a beautiful blue embrodered table cloth for one of the tables. If I can find a hydrangea bush already blooming, I am going to stop and ask if I can cut some of the flowers or I may have to buy the silk. She wants real calla lilies for her bouquet with a bit of blue in it. I was thinking of six lilies and a few hydrangeas, broken apart from the main flower, then tie a french knotted ribbon down the stems. This would be simple and not very expensive to do.

I think we have an AC Moore about three hours away - I may have to take a trip there this weekend. I also have several brandy snifters that I thought I could use. They are about 12" tall, the seashells and the sand will be free - we just pick them from the beach. There is a table as you enter the hall for guests to register and I am thinking of doing one of Judith's vignettes with a ceramic fish rather than a bunny. It is at least 36" round and it will need something more than just a register book and a flower arrangement.

Even if I mix the type of glass containers I use, do you think it will work since I am staying within the theme?

I get so excited decorating for this type of thing. For my nieces wedding I painted pink roses to match the brides bouquet on the candles - most were the chunky candles but a few were tapers and I used a 4 gallon brandy snifter ( a very large one) with a tall chunky candle in the center and the clear gel you can get from the florist that looks like ice, then floated silk pink roses around the candle. It was unusual and everyone commented on it.

In case I haven't already said it, I really appreciate all of your help.

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Your ideas sound great! And you have a lot of experience and a good eye so you will know if it works! Working the blue in with the neutrals should be fine, and her bouquet sounds lovely!
    The painted candles sound so pretty.
    One thing I have learned from this forum is to take pics of everything!!! I took pics of all the flower arrangements I make with fresh flowers, but they were on the old cameras. The dig cams make it so easy to share with people and give them ideas.
    Keep us informed on your progress, I love hearing the planning of parties!
    Maybe another store nearer would have the same type hurricane. 3 hours is a lot of driving!

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

PF, I cut some small branches of azaleas the other day and put them in water and they have held up very well. The callas with the hydrangeas and french knotted ribbon will be beautiful for her bouquet.

I've seen the hurricane tops in some of the dollar stores around here, but I don't remember the price. Also, I believe I saw them in Old Time Pottery if you have one of those. And OTP had several versions of ceramic fish. The fish will be right in keeping on the table. I agree with Kathleen that the blue will work well with the neutrals. I think you could use mixed glass containers very easily.

The decorating you did for your niece's wedding sounds beautiful. I bet the candles were gorgeous. And I love the idea of the huge brandy snifter. I love the looks of the clear gel. And of course, pink is my favorite color!

• yachter123
    17 years ago

Surfing around today, I found these, the first one is a simple, all natural centerpiece & the link is for shell candle holders, says they are only $4 each.

{{gwi:1417320}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty shell votive holders

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I was in Michael's today and saw beautiful packages of shells. They also had tall glasss in the same dept. They were a little pricy around $9.
    I attended an event where the table centerpieces were just the top of hurricane lamps stuck in sand and had a candle in each.

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

You could make those votive holders yourself..
    A bag of plaster of paris..some sand, some oyster cups from Walmart or Michaels and a bag of mini shells for either of the afore mentioned places...Oh and some milk cartons...You could even make them out of wax...

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Yachter, That centerpiece is so simple and very attractive. Those shell votive holders are very pretty.

Terri, I was also thinking those candle holders would be pretty easy to make.

• kathleen_li
    17 years ago

Yachter, I love those candleholders.
    Teri, I will take a dozen!!!

• judithva
    17 years ago

paintingfool, I took a few pictures of pic this weekend for you for the sea side theme. I just have to upload them, hopefully by this afternoon.

• judithva
    17 years ago

Here are the inspiration pics I promised.

{{gwi:1417322}}

This is cute a star fish and a piece of driftwood attached with those small shell necklaces you can purchase in many places.
    {{gwi:1417324}}

Useing a sea urchin as a napkin ring.
    {{gwi:1417325}}

This is cool, I have this same large vase that I purchased at Walmart, I think they still carry it. This might make a pretty centerpiece, I have even seen those large shells for sale in certain stores.
    {{gwi:1417326}}

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Marshal's had allot of sea inspired items when I was in there last week. Large ceramic shells, etc. They are usually not too expensive.

Isn't it Oriental Trading Company that has lots of inexpensive party items like the shell necklaces. You might keep them in mind too.

Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

I really like the starfish hanging on the backs of the chairs. That's a nice touch. Kathleen has the natural shell napkin rings. Maybe she'll see this and post a picture of hers.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Judith, these are wonderful. I am sending the pics on to my niece for them to get a bit inspired. With all the suggestions, I know it will turn out pretty. I won't be going to the wedding but hope to get pictures.

Thanks to all of you.

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

Thanks for inspiring me here too Judith, I like the cream tablecloth and the lavender runner going across it. Might be something for me to look for. In fact, if I got cream cloth, I could various colored runners to use then. One question tho.....would white dishes or accents look ok? I didn't really want a white table cloth but see a lot of them on tablescapes.

Karen

• yachter123
    17 years ago

Paintingfool, I found this while surfing around tonite, it even has blue candles with it, maybe to casual for a wedding, but it has some seashore theme to it, maybe you can get some ideas from it too.
    {{gwi:1417327}}

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Yachter,

I love the table display. It reminds me of fall and wouldn't it be beautiful on an outdoor patio table for dinner! Thanks for sharing.

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

paintingfool...
    sorry I am so late responding to this post I am so behind on all the messages it is not even funny...:)
    Got to the link below...it is an online catalog for a local grocery store ...between page 38 and 50 are some seaside type of tablescapes you may be able to use for inspiration...hope this helps...:)

http://wegmans.richfx.com/catalog_wegmans/07SprPatFurnA/index.aspx

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Tangypsy, I enjoyed browsing through the Wegman's catalog. They have some very pretty stuff. It's just a good thing I don't live near one. ;~)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Me too. They have nicer looking things than many of the retail store around here. I enjoyed looking at their catalog--TFS. Luvs

• yachter123
    17 years ago

Tam, there you go tempting all of us with that Wegmans again! Grrrrrr......

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

I am sorry yachter...
    I am not sure what is worse...to have a Wegmans in your area or not to have one...right now they must have close to 30 different sets of dishes and themes in the stores...I wish I could purchase them all but my wallet nor my storage space will allow for that...so I usually just get a few accent pieces and look at their magazine and catalog for inspirational picture...I hope all of you can use the pictures for ideas....:)

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Tam, I love looking at the Wegman's site even if I can't buy the dishes. I couldn't afford all of them if we did have a Wegman's near us, but they sure are pretty. And I think most of us get ideas from all of the pics we see.